Attention Pa Fisherman: Special Regulations change

Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:37 PM
just al

Default Attention Pa Fisherman: Special Regulations change

Itīs not, itīs a knot.

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knot...k_hooksnel.htm

A snelled hook, is a hook attached to a piece of line using this knot.

Shoot. I used this as my source:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snells

Am I still top posting?

Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:39 PM
Wayne Knight

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

Nope, do a search on "Longline hooks", or "Circle Longline Hooks".

Apart from which, I used them for a while. For some fly-fishing.

Practically
all the fish I caught ( predominantly cod) ,were hooked in the throat, and
impossible to release unharmed. The main reason for commercial fishermen
using the circle hooks was that the fish was less likely to bleed, and
consequently did not die on the line. A dead fish which may have been

dead
for a while, is not worth as much as live fish which can be freshly

killed.

Which going back to your statement which formed the basis for my question-
"Circle hooks were specifically devised for longline fishing, in order to
guarantee a mortality rate of 100%. They actually come close"

Seems to me if they were designed to keep fish alive on long lines (which my
posted links agreed with) that would not guarantee a mortality rate of 100%?

I think the post you responded to initially was regarding use of live bait
on circle hooks and not flies. Based on limited reading and understanding,
they don't sound appropriate for artificial lures of any type, especially
flies which agains supports your thesis.

Or perhaps we have two people speaking the same language not understanding
each other? Like that's never happened around here, ya know?

Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Ken Fortenberry

just al wrote:
Am I still top posting?

No, and thanks for asking. There may be hope for you after all.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old February 23rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
rw

Nope. :-)

just al wrote:

Am I still top posting?

Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Wolfgang

"just al" wrote in message

Lemme guess.....you really don't have a ****ing clue what the adjective
"snelled" means, do you?

I think snelled means to have a pre-tied thinner line tied to a hook

before
tying it to the line.

I see that others have already addressed the problem of definition. That
leaves us with just one more burning question to be answered. What do you
suppose are the odds that an UNsnelled hook "...with worm, corn, or
bread..." will kill a fish?

Wolfgang
enquiring minds and all that.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Mike Connor

"Wayne Knight" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.com...
SNIP

Or perhaps we have two people speaking the same language not understanding
each other? Like that's never happened around here, ya know?

Indeed possible!

It is quite immaterial whether one uses bait, or flies. The principles are
exactly the same.

Whatever, the use of circle hooks on unmanned longlines increases fish
mortality considerably, because a much larger number of fish are hooked and
held alive, to be eventually killed. This is a commercial operation, they
want to catch as many fish as possible.

The hooks work only too well. In the two seasons I tried them regularly for
cod fishing, once I got the technique down, I did not miss a single fish
which took the stationary lure. As I also wrote, most of these fish were
hooked deep in the gullet. To be perfectly fair, this was also probably also
a result of the type of lure I was using, which invariably results in such
"engulfing" takes,even among trout and other fish. The lure in question is
known as a "booby", and is unusual in that it is fished as a stationary
lure.

These hooks reign supreme for any type of stationary bait fishing. The fish
do not have a chance. If they take the stationary bait and move off, they
are hooked.

Fortunately, circle hooks below about a size 12 cease to work any more, as
the hook gape is then too small to allow a hook-up. Otherwise, dead drifting
nymph fishermen using these hooks would clean up. No need for an indicator,
no need for any skill at all really. Just cast the fly out and let it drift.
Practically every fish which takes will be hooked. One merely has to wait
until one feels a fish moving off.

My basic point was, that these hooks resulted in much greater efficiency,
and thus a greater fish mortality rate. As the considerably increased
numbers of hooked fish were of course killed. The ease of hook removal,
when the hooks do their job properly and hook lips, jaws, or scissors, is a
commercial advantage, as it saves time and effort, which translates directly
to money. The people using these things could not care less whether the fish
is damaged or killed really, they merely want to catch a large number and
unhook and kill them quickly.

This is in my opinion the antithesis of sportfishing, most especially
flyfishing.

That these hooks could play a role in reducing the mortality of fish caught
by bait fishermen is definitely true, but also extremely unlikely, as the
majority of the bait fishermen are there because they want to catch and kill
the fish.

It is also theoretically true that flyfishermen who wish to practice catch
and release would also damage far fewer fish, but not in the way that many
people seem to think. They would do less damage, assuming they continued to
use the present methods, because they would then catch very few fish.

If they changed their methods, as has also been suggested, to suit the
peculiarities of circle hooks, then they will merely be baitfishing with
flies.

It occurs to me that this is rather a vicious circle!

TL
MC

Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:39 PM
just al

Wolfgang

What do you
suppose are the odds that an UNsnelled hook "...with worm, corn, or
bread..." will kill a fish?

I suppose you already know the answer.

You know, I can help you with your bullying issues. I have training with
helping aggressive at-risk students succeed and feel positive. There's no
hugging involved...

Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:46 PM
Mike Connor

"just al" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Shoot. I used this as my source:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snells

Am I still top posting?

I did not need a source. The word was in common usage where I lived as a
boy. The main reason for snelling hooks, is the direct pull, and strength
which results. This only works with the correct knot. In the meantime many
people think that a snelled hook is a hook tied to a piece of line. This is
incorrect, it is a hook tied to a piece of line using a snell knot, which
ensures a direct pull on the hook, and when properly tied, retains close to
100% of the line breaking strain. This is the knot favoured by most English
competition anglers, especially for very fine nylon monofilament, and almost
universally in combination with spade end hooks.

The website is also incorrect in saying that the snell knot may only be tied
by passing both ends of the line through the eye. Spade end hooks do not
have eyes.

It also has nothing at all to do with the attachment being "quick and
simple", as stated on the website at the URL I posted, it is in fact nothing
of the kind. Snelling hooks properly is actually quite difficult. This is
also the main reason why it is not done on the river bank for instance, but
at home in comfort. The snelled hooks are usually attached by a loop to the
main line, which also allows for quick changes to different sized or shaped
hooks to suit various baits, fish and conditions.

It is often the case that the snelled line is weaker than the main line, but
this is not essentially so.

The site was merely the first one I found which showed the snell knot.

Are you asking me if you are still top posting? I have no idea. But not in
this instance at any rate.

TL
MC

Old February 23rd, 2004, 11:49 PM
Charlie Choc

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:39:30 GMT, "just al"
wrote:

You know, I can help you with your bullying issues. I have training with
helping aggressive at-risk students succeed and feel positive. There's no
hugging involved...

Hilarious. g
--
Charlie...
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:30 AM
rw

just al wrote:

You know, I can help you with your bullying issues. I have training with
helping aggressive at-risk students succeed and feel positive. There's no
hugging involved...

It's just an Internet thing with Wolfgang. In person, he's a perfect
sweetheart. :-)