Attention Pa Fisherman: Special Regulations change

Old February 24th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Wayne Harrison

Default Attention Pa Fisherman: Special Regulations change

"rw" wrote in message
. ..
just al wrote:

You know, I can help you with your bullying issues. I have training

with
helping aggressive at-risk students succeed and feel positive. There's

no
hugging involved...

It's just an Internet thing with Wolfgang. In person, he's a perfect
sweetheart. :-)

true, dat!

as they say in the urban black communities where none of us ever go.

wayno

Old February 24th, 2004, 01:09 AM
a-happy-up-yours

rw wrote:

just al wrote:

You know, I can help you with your bullying issues. I have training with
helping aggressive at-risk students succeed and feel positive.
There's no
hugging involved...

It's just an Internet thing with Wolfgang. In person, he's a perfect
sweetheart. :-)

If you could've seen that guy, Wolfie, skillfully afoot, in the presence
of the glorious Lana, just over a year ago....., well, a true master.
Smoove and cleaver...why she was absolutely besmirched. I could see the
coalescence of the force....the genesis of the species was in
sight......and, then, Jeffie walked into the pool hall and the
time-space continuum was set asunder. Forever.

The remembrance still stirs, but penicillin has helped......

Tom
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Wayne Harrison

"a-happy-up-yours" wrote

but penicillin has helped......

Tom

the only thing penicillin can't whip is cheryl crow.

yfitp
wayno

Old February 24th, 2004, 02:10 AM
John Lindsey

Very interesting points, Mike. Thanks for the info.

You said:

To be perfectly fair, this was also probably also
a result of the type of lure I was using, which invariably results in such
"engulfing" takes,even among trout and other fish. The lure in question is
known as a "booby", and is unusual in that it is fished as a stationary
lure.

Please describe this "booby."

Fortunately, circle hooks below about a size 12 cease to work any more, as
the hook gape is then too small to allow a hook-up.

Agree! I am experimenting with Mustad Ultrapoint Circle hooks 39951 tying
popping bugs on sizes 1/0, 1 and 2 and even then the gap is very, very
small! These hooks are not offset. If they were offset, they might work
better.

Just cast the fly out and let it drift.
Practically every fish which takes will be hooked. One merely has to wait
until one feels a fish moving off.

So far this has not happened to me while using these hooks on my
experimental popping bugs for bass on topwater. First when the strike
explodes, I cannot just WAIT! I must set the hook! On those rare occasions
when I absolutely refused to set the hook, the bass quickly spat out my bug
and swam away. I have yet to hook up a bass with a circle hook, much less
to catch one! Of course, most bass spit out my bugs anyway - LOL

That these hooks could play a role in reducing the mortality of fish

caught
by bait fishermen is definitely true, but also extremely unlikely, as the
majority of the bait fishermen are there because they want to catch and

kill
the fish.

It was my understanding that CA DF&G was seeking a method for all fishermen
to use and throw back smaller fish when only one fish could be killed and
also fish out of slot limit could be returned to the water practically
unharmed. They were seeking better post release survival rates than just
barbless hooks alone provide. If they could prove circle hooks were better
in freshwater salmon fisheries, they planned to extend circle hooks to all
catch and release fishing.

If they changed their methods, as has also been suggested, to suit the
peculiarities of circle hooks, then they will merely be baitfishing with
flies.

Perhaps my problem is my popping bug design. I eagerly await your
description of a "booby."

Good luck!
John

Old February 24th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Tom Littleton

Wolfgang asks:
What do you
suppose are the odds that an UNsnelled hook "...with worm, corn, or
bread..." will kill a fish?

and, while we are at it, what are the odds that a small trout fly can easily do
likewise? I won't even delve into the issue of treble hook spinning lures, by
far the deadliest of all options, and perfectly legal on most PA delayed
harvest areas.
Tom
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Peter Charles

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:10:36 -0800, "John Lindsey"
wrote:

Very interesting points, Mike. Thanks for the info.

[snip]

Good luck!
John

Mike's description of circle hook issues just about sums it up with
one exception, steelhead and salmon wet flies. The swung fly does
provide a potential use as the steady pull of the current can drag the
hook into the ideal scissor postion. The same thing can happen if the
fish takes the fly and turns. Since the steelheader swinging a fly on
the end of 90' line may not even feel the take, this hook does
provide some potential advantages.

Last season, one of the local guides used circle hooks for chinook and
managed a very good hookup rate so I'll probably try some for this
season.

About your popping bug problem, that's a toughie. All I can suggest
is a steady lift rather than a strike. Bass bugs are probably the
last thing I'd use with a circle hook.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Larry L

"John Lindsey" wrote

Please describe this "booby."

Mike will likely correct me, but I "think" ( always needs quotes when it
refers to me ... since it's clearly stretching the word ) that they are
flies tied with foam to float, and with marabou or some such to wiggle
around, but fished on a sinking line and not moved much, if at all

I fish the idea, if not the booby pattern, in lakes and it's a killer, at
times. I usually use a floating dragon fly nymph and fast sinking line,
enough leader so the fly is above bottom weeds, and a slow, oh, so slow,
retrieve ( with the occasional fast twitch in there to keep from going nuts
:-) When it's working it works well.

Old February 24th, 2004, 04:02 AM
a-happy-up-yours

Wayne Harrison wrote:

"a-happy-up-yours" wrote

but penicillin has helped......

Tom

the only thing penicillin can't whip is cheryl crow.

yfitp
wayno

Was she the girl with one blue eye in the middle of her forehead?

Maybe that was her sister? Mother?

Tom

Old February 24th, 2004, 04:11 AM

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:37:17 GMT, "just al"
wrote:

Itīs not, itīs a knot.

http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knot...k_hooksnel.htm

A snelled hook, is a hook attached to a piece of line using this knot.

Shoot. I used this as my source:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snells

Am I still top posting?

No, you're not. And with no prompting, you've started to allow some
space between what you're quoting and your own comments. Much easier
to read.

--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old February 24th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Wolfgang

"just al" wrote in message
Wolfgang

What do you
suppose are the odds that an UNsnelled hook "...with worm, corn, or
bread..." will kill a fish?

I suppose you already know the answer.

Little trick I learned from a lawyer.

You know, I can help you with your bullying issues.

Ah, an optimist! How many shiny new nickels did you say you've got?

I have training with
helping aggressive at-risk students succeed and feel positive.

You're good......I'm feeling better and better every minute.

There's no
hugging involved...

Oh yeah, the old "enough foreplay, let's ****" gambit, eh? Hoary, but still
serviceable.

Wolfgang
oh, and orthography ain't the study of words.....teacher.