Caught a squirrel today on 5wt

Old October 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Tom Nakashima

Default Caught a squirrel today on 5wt

On lunch breaks I practice my casting on the nearby lawn. No hooks, just
yarn. Today I saw a squirrel searching for food so I made a tight loop in
the same direction about 50 ft away. Planted the yarn about two feet away
from the squirrel, thought it would be good practice in presentation. The
squirrel wasn't even startled and as I continued to slowly retrieve the line
with orange yarn acting as a fly, the squirrel snatched up the yarn in it's
mouth. I didn't want to set the yarn for fear I would hook the line on it's
teeth, so I just watched in amazement. Shortly the squirrel spit out the
yarn.
First time I ever caught something other than a fish on a flyrod.
-tom

Old October 28th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Nakashima wrote:
snip
First time I ever caught something other than a fish on a flyrod.

One of the hazards of fishing the Hex hatch here in the
midwest is that Hexagenia limbata come out at about the
same time of the evening as bats.

Yoo don't want to start your forward cast with a bat on
the end of your fly line. Damn near broke my arm, or seemed
like it anyway. One more good argument for barbless hooks.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:18 PM
BJ Conner

Tom Nakashima wrote:
On lunch breaks I practice my casting on the nearby lawn. No hooks, just
yarn. Today I saw a squirrel searching for food so I made a tight loop in
the same direction about 50 ft away. Planted the yarn about two feet away
from the squirrel, thought it would be good practice in presentation. The
squirrel wasn't even startled and as I continued to slowly retrieve the line
with orange yarn acting as a fly, the squirrel snatched up the yarn in it's
mouth. I didn't want to set the yarn for fear I would hook the line on it's
teeth, so I just watched in amazement. Shortly the squirrel spit out the
yarn.
First time I ever caught something other than a fish on a flyrod.
-tom

OK here's the first of 20 post with a reference to this site.
http://www.conknet.com/~b_bull/speci...enfishing.html

Old October 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Wolfgang

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message
On lunch breaks I practice my casting on the nearby lawn. No hooks, just
yarn. Today I saw a squirrel searching for food so I made a tight loop in
the same direction about 50 ft away. Planted the yarn about two feet away
from the squirrel, thought it would be good practice in presentation. The
squirrel wasn't even startled and as I continued to slowly retrieve the
line with orange yarn acting as a fly, the squirrel snatched up the yarn
in it's mouth. I didn't want to set the yarn for fear I would hook the
line on it's teeth, so I just watched in amazement. Shortly the squirrel
spit out the yarn.
First time I ever caught something other than a fish on a flyrod.
-tom

Last month (was it only a month ago?) John caught a frog
on.......um......well, I guess I don't know what it was. We were sitting on
a couple of rocks at the ultra secret smallmouth spot on the W_s_o_s_n
river, doing a remarkably good impression of stupid and indolent (if I do
say so myself) when I spies the froggie sitting on a rock, doing a
remarkably good impression of us. "Hey, lookee," sez I, "there's a
froggie." John swings his pole over so that his bug is about six inches
above and ever so slightly ahead of the froggie. Froggie jumps.....tongue
extends.....CHOMP!

Froggie hangs at end of leader.........and hangs.......and hangs.......and
gets bored and lets go.

John says, "They'll hit anything that moves, heh, heh."

Wolfgang
it was maybe cooler than it sounds.

Old October 30th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Scottish Fly Fisher

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:53:25 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

On lunch breaks I practice my casting on the nearby lawn. No hooks, just
yarn. Today I saw a squirrel searching for food so I made a tight loop in
the same direction about 50 ft away. Planted the yarn about two feet away
from the squirrel, thought it would be good practice in presentation. The
squirrel wasn't even startled and as I continued to slowly retrieve the line
with orange yarn acting as a fly, the squirrel snatched up the yarn in it's
mouth. I didn't want to set the yarn for fear I would hook the line on it's
teeth, so I just watched in amazement. Shortly the squirrel spit out the
yarn.
First time I ever caught something other than a fish on a flyrod.
-tom

That's so kind of you, Tom... helping a squirrel floss!

I once caught a bat on the backcast. I thought I'd got snagged up a
tree, until I noticed my line was moving. I've never been so glad of
de-barbing my hooks in all of my life. He was a tricky little bugger
to release.

John

http://groups.msn.com/scottishflyfisher
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Scottish Fly Fisher

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:07:16 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Tom Nakashima wrote:
snip
First time I ever caught something other than a fish on a flyrod.

One of the hazards of fishing the Hex hatch here in the
midwest is that Hexagenia limbata come out at about the
same time of the evening as bats.

Yoo don't want to start your forward cast with a bat on
the end of your fly line. Damn near broke my arm, or seemed
like it anyway. One more good argument for barbless hooks.

****, I should have read through the thread... I coulda just posted
"me too." LoL

Old October 31st, 2005, 02:34 AM
Bryan

I saw this funny web site about catching prairie dogs:
http://www.lovelandnet.com/toms-plac...f/howtofpd.htm

Bryan

Old October 31st, 2005, 05:48 AM
riverman

Bryan wrote:
I saw this funny web site about catching prairie dogs:
http://www.lovelandnet.com/toms-plac...f/howtofpd.htm

Funny???? Are you SICK??

I think that's completely inhumane and brutal! C&R for fish, with their
dubius nervous systems and most likely lack of cognizance is one thing,
but to snare, torture and beat a MAMMAL just for fun, and you call that
funny??

If you hate prairie dogs and they are a pest, trap them or shoot them,
but animal torture of mammals is just wrong.

You should be f**king ashamed of yourself! And I'm not even a PETA
supporter.

--riverman

Old October 31st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Mike Connor

"Bryan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I saw this funny web site about catching prairie dogs:
http://www.lovelandnet.com/toms-plac...f/howtofpd.htm

Bryan

Very sad indeed that anybody should find such perversion even remotely
amusing.

MC

Old October 31st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Scottish Fly Fisher

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:34:11 -0700, "Bryan"
wrote:

I saw this funny web site about catching prairie dogs:
http://www.lovelandnet.com/toms-plac...f/howtofpd.htm

That is disturbing, not funny. It would have been funny if it was a
parody, but these people actually do this???