Need Rig advice- freshwater shore fishing rainbow trout

Old June 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
gnosticbeast

Default Need Rig advice- freshwater shore fishing rainbow trout

Hi All,

I'm picking up fishing again and would like some advice on the basic
tackle I need for fishing rainbow trout in California lakes.

I'm thinking 5 foot light rod with spinner reel and 4lb test mono
three way swivels- 2oz sinker on one and a lure on the other (the lure
is what I need help with, there are just so many!)

Probably #10 or #14 hooks?

Thanks!
Paul

Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "gnosticbeast"

| Hi All,
|
| I'm picking up fishing again and would like some advice on the basic
| tackle I need for fishing rainbow trout in California lakes.
|
| I'm thinking 5 foot light rod with spinner reel and 4lb test mono
| three way swivels- 2oz sinker on one and a lure on the other (the lure
| is what I need help with, there are just so many!)
|
| Probably #10 or #14 hooks?
|
| Thanks!
| Paul

Use a Palomar Knot and connect 4' test to a small snap swivel and snap on lure.

The three way swivel will detract lure and spook trout.

2oz sinker with 4' test ?
Isn't that heavy for such light line ?

My Gator/Krocodile spoons are 2 ~ 2.25 oz and I use 40' camo. leader on 17' test.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Calif Bill

"gnosticbeast" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi All,

I'm picking up fishing again and would like some advice on the basic
tackle I need for fishing rainbow trout in California lakes.

I'm thinking 5 foot light rod with spinner reel and 4lb test mono
three way swivels- 2oz sinker on one and a lure on the other (the lure
is what I need help with, there are just so many!)

Probably #10 or #14 hooks?

Thanks!
Paul

Go to a local tackle shop. Get them to show you how to set up with Power
Bait. Take a drive up to New Melones with the family, take swimming suits,
and go into Glory Hole Sports and they will show you how to rig up.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Cliff

I would go longer on the pole if you are fishing from shore, heavier on the
line and lighter on the lead. Remember that a lot of times the fish aren't
out in the midlle of the lake. Those Trout like to cruise the shores in
the mornings and evenings and move deeper during the day.

If you have a longer pole with a little bit of action you can cast bait a
loooong way. This time of year I would probably go with floating powerbait
on a carolina rig. Either that if they have just planted the lake or it is
early or late in the day, use a sinking powerbait and a bobber and just
drop it down a foot or so.

Cliff

--
Fishing with Cliff
The New Fishing Show in Town

Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

On Jun 21, 4:16 pm, gnosticbeast wrote:
Hi All,

I'm picking up fishing again and would like some advice on the basic
tackle I need for fishing rainbow trout in California lakes.

I'm thinking 5 foot light rod with spinner reel and 4lb test mono
three way swivels- 2oz sinker on one and a lure on the other (the lure
is what I need help with, there are just so many!)

Probably #10 or #14 hooks?

Thanks!
Paul

Hi Paul
I've never been fishing trout in California.
What are the best places?

Steve
http://stevemattews.snn.gr/

Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 21, 4:16 pm, gnosticbeast wrote:
Hi All,

I'm picking up fishing again and would like some advice on the basic
tackle I need for fishing rainbow trout in California lakes.

I'm thinking 5 foot light rod with spinner reel and 4lb test mono
three way swivels- 2oz sinker on one and a lure on the other (the lure
is what I need help with, there are just so many!)

Probably #10 or #14 hooks?

Thanks!
Paul

Hi Paul
I've never been fishing trout in California.
What are the best places?

Steve
http://stevemattews.snn.gr/

Which part of the state do you reside in?

Old June 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
[email protected]

For fundamental fishing gear (rod, reel, line, tackle) and casting
questions please visit http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/fishing/index.html

Good Luck and fun fishing
SV

oups.com...

Old June 28th, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
RoadHunter

Dear lord, a TWO OUNCE sinker? How would you ever know if you had a
fish on? Sinkers that size are for casting with surf rods for giant
catfish, stripers, or snagging spoonbills below dams.
I have been doing this type of fishing for decades, and you're on the
right track with the rod and line, but I'd drop down to 3# test, and
tie on a 1/16 or 1/24 oz black and white rooster tail with silver
blade, especially first thing in the morning. When they quit hitting
those, go to a tiny bullet weight above a tiny split shot about 18"
above a "puff ball" aka salmon egg fly, and let it bump along the
bottom. Another killer in all conditions is a 1/32 oz olive jig with
a gold bead head.