Sea Lion question?

Old August 25th, 2005, 02:03 AM

Default Sea Lion question?

While at the Oregon coast last week I came across a sea lion with this
white thing hanging from it's mouth. I'm curious if it is a fishing lure
or something else? I'd appreciate it if someone would have a look and
give me your opinion, not that there is anything I could do about it. I
thought about getting a closer look but I'm just no match for a 500+ lb
sea lion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/QDM/sealion.jpg

Thanks,

Old August 25th, 2005, 02:56 AM
STEPHEN PEEK

Looks like a flasher to me. They are commonly used to attract fish to
another lure.
Steve
k.net...

Old August 25th, 2005, 03:38 AM
daytripper

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:56:12 GMT, "STEPHEN PEEK" wrote:
"Q" wrote in message
nk.net...
While at the Oregon coast last week I came across a sea lion with this
white thing hanging from it's mouth. I'm curious if it is a fishing lure
or something else? I'd appreciate it if someone would have a look and give
me your opinion, not that there is anything I could do about it. I thought
about getting a closer look but I'm just no match for a 500+ lb sea lion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/QDM/sealion.jpg

Thanks,

Looks like a flasher to me. They are commonly used to attract fish to
another lure.

Exactly. And you can bet the hooks that were trailing that flasher are still
attached to it.....Ouch....

Old August 25th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Jimmy Reza de la Turin

no.. the Sea Lion mastered the technique of using flashers
to attract fish to eat..
a true fisherman of the sea..

Old August 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Rodney

STEPHEN PEEK wrote:
Looks like a flasher to me. They are commonly used to attract fish to
another lure.

Yep I blew the photo up and enhanced it, that's what it is
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Ji Fay

Several feet behind the flasher is a attach a "hootchie" lure which is a
plastic skirt type lure. I figure some fellow was trolling along the
coast for salmon, hooked into one, and as sealions are known to do it
stoll the salmon on the line swallowing it whole along with the
hootchies lure with flasher still attached.

Old November 7th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Sasquatch

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:03:00 GMT, Q wrote:

While at the Oregon coast last week I came across a sea lion with this
white thing hanging from it's mouth. I'm curious if it is a fishing lure
or something else? I'd appreciate it if someone would have a look and
give me your opinion, not that there is anything I could do about it. I
thought about getting a closer look but I'm just no match for a 500+ lb
sea lion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/QDM/sealion.jpg

Thanks,

I know it's been a while since you first posted this, but I would
certainly suggest you visit the Crescent City, CA "Northcoast Marine
Mammal Center" website ( http://www.northcoastmarinemammal.org/ ) and
alert them to the condition of this animal with info as to where it
was you photographed the luckless creature, etc. Hopefully they may be
able to capture, treat and release it. - Good of you to post this with
a link to the photo! - God bless and happy hooking!

Old November 7th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Bill McKee

"Sasquatch" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe they could shoot it and put it out of our misery.

Old November 17th, 2005, 09:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater

It's a flasher (fish attractor) that is placed a few feet in front of
your hooked bait. Often used when trolling for Salmon.
I imagine the Sea Lion went after the bait, which is often a small
herring or anchovy, and ended up with a good share of
tackle. I would guess that the Sea Lion will be fine as long as he
doesn't swallow the flasher.