Turn off GPS?

Old December 16th, 2004, 04:19 AM
KØHB

Default Turn off GPS?

A friend sent me the link below. At first I thought it had to be a joke, but it
turns out that the Shrub really IS that stupid!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...58c48975 9881

Old December 16th, 2004, 01:11 PM
RGarri7470

http://www.nytimes.com/

Its from the NYT - enough said.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old December 16th, 2004, 01:11 PM
RGarri7470

http://www.nytimes.com/

Its from the NYT - enough said.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old December 16th, 2004, 01:12 PM
RGarri7470

Maybe not enough said - the very first sentence says it would be turned off in
a national emergency to keep terrorists from using it. You just used something
to make a silly political statement - wasting my time and yours. YOU LOST -
get over it.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

RGarri7470 wrote:
: Maybe not enough said - the very first sentence says it would be turned off in
: a national emergency to keep terrorists from using it. You just used something
: to make a silly political statement - wasting my time and yours. YOU LOST -
: get over it.
: Ronnie
:
:
http://fishing.about.com

I think they'd have to be pretty selective since GPS seems to be (or already
has) overtaken loran for navigation aids....

Selective availability wasn't bad... I can live by just being able to get
back within 60 feet or so of where I was the last time I set the gps (I use
it mostly for scout trips, I can set a waypoint at the end of the trail and
then I can always give a reasonably accurate answer to "are we there yet"
when we are actually doing the hike or bike trip).

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Old December 17th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Bob La Londe

Hmmmm..... I wonder if the Russian sat nav system would be down as well?
Would we be able to get them to shut it down? How good is their covergae?

--
Spinner Baits Tips & Tricks Contest
featuring

** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" wrote in message
RGarri7470 wrote:
[...]

---

Old December 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM
SamB

Pretty sure history will show that America lost when w was re-elected. Not
bitching but it is obvious to 49.92% of the country.
SamB

Old December 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
LD

I've been out in the Gulf of Mex many times where accuracy within a 60'
radius can cost 15-30min of zig zaging trying to find the "sunken VW" or
other structure where the fish are congregating. I bought a new Magellan
with the "extra" satellites. (I forget what they are called.) And it's much
more accurate than my old unit. I also bought a Humminbird Matrix 37 with a
90deg beam and split screen so you can tell if the object is on the right or
left as you pass over it or "near" it. Still, the GPS accuracy of a 10'r
vs. a 60'r or more, is a tremendous help.

On the other hand, accuracy within a half mile or so would have been plenty
good enough for the terrorists to find the twin towers. I have no idea what
military devices are out there that use GPS to locate a "target" but the
problem comes in when Congress starts to meddle in areas they know nothing
about, like banning guns that aren't used to any real degree in crimes but
being painted black and called "assault weapons" they get banned, even
though mechanically, they're no different than any semi-automatic deer rifle
(and most ARE legal). Did you know one of the criteria for defining an
"assault weapon" is the presence of a bayonet lug. When is the last time
you saw or heard of a crime or an assault being committed with a bayonet???
I think they ought to line up all the criminal gangs and drug dealers and
let them "have it out"--paint ball with real bullets! Then put the
survivors in jail and throw away the key.
'Course, the irony is that this would cause the statistics to indicate the
murder rate with firearms just went up and then some people (Sarah Brady for
one) would be clamoring to ban the evil guns that caused this! Sorry to get
off on a tangent here, just trying to make an analogy and got carried away.
LD