Weighted line to backing

Old August 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Larry Rappaport

Default Weighted line to backing

I'm trying out weighted line. I want to tie it to a 30 lb backing
(bait casting line, not monofilament). I'd guess that the best knot
to use might be a nail knot, but I'm having real trouble tying that
guy. (old eyes, probably). Is there another way anyone wants to
recommend?

Same question for copper line.

Thanks
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Rodney

Larry Rappaport wrote:
I'm trying out weighted line. I want to tie it to a 30 lb backing
(bait casting line, not monofilament). I'd guess that the best knot
to use might be a nail knot, but I'm having real trouble tying that
guy. (old eyes, probably). Is there another way anyone wants to
recommend?

Same question for copper line.

Thanks
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

I have never tied weighted line, but tying double nail knot joining
line, is easy with the little "cheap" knot tool I designed

http://ezknot.com/line2line.htm for directions
the basic knot directions are at
http://ezknot.com/Howto.htm

You can use other tools besides my EZKnot, but you will find the knot
much easier using it, and it cost much less than other knot tools.

I can tie these knots without any tool, it just took a lot of practice,
or you can make your own tool, if you have the time, and skill

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Larry Rappaport

I've tried to email you, but that doesn't seem to work. I'd like to
buy a few - how do I do that? Thanks,
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:13:46 -0500, Rodney wrote
(with possible editing):

Old August 18th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Jon Splane

Larry Rappaport wrote:
[...]

You can buy a knot tool at any sporting goods store, fly fishing store
or a department store with a large fishing section for a couple $US.
Several tackle manufacturers make these and they all seem to work pretty
much the same.

Jon
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Larry Rappaport

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:14:11 -0700, Jon Splane wrote
(with possible editing):

Larry Rappaport wrote:
[...]

Jon,

Thanks, I was hoping to buy one of yours as it is a very
clever design. Apparently, you're out of the business. Thanks
anyway.

Best,
--

Larry

Old August 19th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Larry Rappaport

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 05:58:46 GMT, wrote (with
possible editing):

A "uni-knot" will do as well as a nailknot.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine...003Sp_Uniknot/

Particularly the line to line section -- While it speaks of a double
uni-knot you need only tie a single one around your fly line with the
backing of course.

Another trick I have since learned is that if you use a single
uni-knot as you suggest, it will be stronger if you tie a simple
overhand knot in the side which does not get the uni-knot and run the
other line through the middle of it.

I've had this tool which I think I bought from Cabelas a while ago and
I finally found the directions for it. It makes tying a double
uni-knot really easy as it holds the two lines in place while tie the
double. It looks like three nails in a row with the center one
longer. You put the two lines between 1 and 2 and 3 and 2 with about
1/4" between them and about 4" sticking out.

Thanks
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Rodney

Larry Rappaport wrote:

Thanks, I was hoping to buy one of yours as it is a very
clever design. Apparently, you're out of the business. Thanks
anyway.

Best,

I'm not out of buisness :-)

Old August 20th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Larry Rappaport

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:46:19 -0500, Rodney wrote
(with possible editing):

Larry Rappaport wrote:

Thanks, I was hoping to buy one of yours as it is a very
clever design. Apparently, you're out of the business. Thanks
anyway.

Best,

I'm not out of buisness :-)

Well, do you want to sell a few? I'd love to buy at least two! If
so, what do I do?
Thanks,
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Rodney

A "uni-knot" will do as well as a nailknot.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine...003Sp_Uniknot/

Particularly the line to line section -- While it speaks of a double
uni-knot you need only tie a single one around your fly line with the
backing of course.

The double nail knot is 1/2 the dia. of a double Uni, this lets it slide
through guides much easier

Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Larry Rappaport

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 05:59:24 GMT, wrote (with
possible editing):

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:17:22 -0500, Rodney wrote:

wrote:

A "uni-knot" will do as well as a nailknot.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine...003Sp_Uniknot/

Particularly the line to line section -- While it speaks of a double
uni-knot you need only tie a single one around your fly line with the
backing of course.

The double nail knot is 1/2 the dia. of a double Uni, this lets it slide
through guides much easier

OK...But my "line to backing knot" doesn't have to slide through the
guides often enough that I have to worry about it.

True enough, but when it does, you usually have one hell of a fish on
the line and you'd care! Believe me!
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com