Quantum Hot Sauce VS Rocket Fuel

Old July 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Quantum Hot Sauce VS Rocket Fuel

I recently had some of my reels serviced by Dennis over at Yuma Reel
Service. Clean, lube, minor repairs on some, etc. When I picked them up he
proceeded to tell me how I need to go buy some Rocket Fuel (I think that was
the name) reel oil. I told him that when I ran out of Quantum Hot Sauce
I'ld try it, but it would be a while since I have a couple bottles. He then
went on to tell me that "somebody" had done some independent reviews and
determined that Quantum Hot Sauce is mildly corrosive. I had not heard that
before. I had heard some jive about Shimano saying negs about it, but I
figure that was just so they could sell their own brand of oil. Anybody
know of an independent study of reel oils or any conclusive evidence that
Quantum Hot Sauce oil is corrosive?

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Tournament Director
www.YumaProAm.com

Old July 27th, 2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Guy Anderson, Sr.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:07:40 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

For years I have been lubricating reels with ATF, and it works just
fine--no corrosion. It looks, tastes, and smells exactly like Quantum
Hot Sauce. I am no chemist, but I would wager my ex-wife's alimony
that it's the same stuff!!

Maybe someone can disabuse me of this notion?
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

wrote:

For years I have been lubricating reels with ATF, and it works just
fine--no corrosion. It looks, tastes, and smells exactly like Quantum
Hot Sauce. I am no chemist, but I would wager my ex-wife's alimony
that it's the same stuff!!

Maybe someone can disabuse me of this notion?

Guy, I've heard the exact same thing from numerous sources, Hot Sauce is
nothing more than repackaged ATF fluid.

I've been using KG Industries Trigger Oil in the bearings of my casting
reels and I've found that it doesn't dissipate in the heat, stays fluid in
the cold and lasts longer than "premium" reel lubes. The next time I clean
out my reels, I've got some grease with Teflon in I'm going to try. That
stuff is amazingly slippery and seems to have good adhesion, two good
properties to have in a gear lube.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old July 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

wrote:

For years I have been lubricating reels with ATF, and it works just
fine--no corrosion. It looks, tastes, and smells exactly like Quantum
Hot Sauce. I am no chemist, but I would wager my ex-wife's alimony
that it's the same stuff!!

Maybe someone can disabuse me of this notion?

Guy, I've heard the exact same thing from numerous sources, Hot Sauce is
nothing more than repackaged ATF fluid.

Ok, Type F? Dexron II? Dexron III?

LOL. I bet if you mix them it will foam up too. LOL.

Old July 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Craig M

I have been using Corrosion Technologies Reel X, this stuff is great, they
also make Corrosion X in a spray can, a thin and a thick spray, some of the
products can be found at Wal-mart, West Marine, and Most big box sporting
goods stores, Academy, Gander Mountain, ect.
I dont sell it or rep. them but I have used the stuff for years on my reels,
and in my line of work as a copier tech, this stuff last also.
Also says it wont harm mono.