Carp

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Default Carp

"Harold" wrote in message

Do you know of any state where common carp caught MUST be kept, and
it is illegal to return it unharmed to the water? If you do, please let me
know.

I don't think killing every carp you see is obeying any game law in any
state.

General Prohibited Acts
It is a violation to:

a.. Take, kill, or disturb sea turtles or sea turtle eggs;
b.. Take, kill, or disturb any endangered or threatened species (like
paddlefish, shovel-nosed sturgeon, and others);
c.. Take or kill porpoises, dolphins (mammals), or whales;
d.. Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia, grass carp, or
any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, except on those
waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect. In those
waters, it is illegal to possess grass carp. Any grass carp caught must be
immediately returned to the water unharmed. For a list of waters with a
Triploid Grass Carp Permit, please call Texas Parks and Wildlife at
1-800-792-1112 (menu 4) or 1-512-389-4444.
e.. Place any game fish into public waters, other than the body of water
where the fish was caught, without a valid permit issued by TPWD. This
includes fish caught by pole and line. For permit information, please call
1-800-792-1112 (menu 4) or 1-512-389-8037.
f.. Take more than 15 live univalve snails during a day which include no
more than 2 each of the following snails: lightning whelk, horse conch,
Florida fighting conch, pear whelk, banded tulip, or Florida rocksnail.
g.. Take or kill shell-bearing mollusks, hermit crabs, starfish, or sea
urchins from Nov. 1 through Apr. 30 within the following boundary: the bay
and pass sides of South Padre Island from the east end of the north jetty at
Brazos Santiago Pass to the west end of West Marisol Drive in the town of
South Padre Island, out 1,000 yards from the mean high-tide line, and
bounded to the south by the centerline of the Brazos Santiago Pass.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...general_rules/

or

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl.../0/fishing.pdf

7. PROHIBITED SPECIES: These species and their viable eggs are detrimental
to other fish and habitat in Colorado. Unless authorized in writing by DOW
for controlled and experimental purposes only, it is illegal to export,
import, transport, stock, sell, acquire and possess for release these
species: piranha, trahira, gar (all species) snakeheads or murrels,
sticklebacks, walking catfish, tilapia, bighead carp, bowfins, silver carp,
Indian carp, rudd, zebra mussels, guagga mussels, New Zealand mud snail.

or

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/un...s_151627_7.pdf
It is unlawful to:
Possess or transport any live genetically engineered organism or the
following nonnative fish: bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, grass carp
(white amur), members of the snakehead family, bitterling, Ide, Japanese
weatherfish, rudd, tench, eurasian ruffe, tuberose goby, or round goby.
To do so may result in a civil fine of up to $10,000.

States vary, but the general drift tends toward killing the carp. I don't
mind 50 pounds of carp per acre, but 1,000 + pounds an acre is just too
much. I see you've switched to "common carp" rather than the broad "carp"
you started with.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

"Harold" wrote in message

Goldfish and the common carp can interbreed, but produce a weak STERILE
hybrid, unlike the goldfish
and crucian carp hybrid.
The multicolored carp called "Koi" are the common carp bred for ornamental
purposes in Japan and consequently are all known by Japanese names. They
are, like the wild common carp, a strong fish and considered hardier than
goldfish.

Multi color carp are not uncommon. Bright vivid red and black and/or white
blotches make each unique. Whether the result of hybridization, or a
natural consequence of recessive genetics is debatable. I have seen this
multi-color appearance many times. It eventually becomes rare where it was
once common. All these fish were fully scaled. I've not seen a multi
mirror carp, but we pulled what appeared to be an albino carp many years
ago. (it may have merely been totally white.)

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

"Pepperoni" wrote in message

"Harold" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I've occasionally seen such 2 or 3 toned common carp (the garden pool
koi)
in fishing waters as well. Combinations of white, black and red for the most
part.
But I've always assumed they were the result of someone "getting rid" of
their
pond fish in the nearest lake. And like feral pigs they do well back in the
wild.
Whatever natural disadvantage they have by being bright colored, I guess
they make up
for by getting simply enormous.
My personal biggest unintentional carp...18 pound mirror carp...tailhooked.

Old March 24th, 2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

"Pepperoni" wrote in message

"Harold" wrote in message

Do you know of any state where common carp caught MUST be kept, and
it is illegal to return it unharmed to the water? If you do, please let

me
know.

I don't think killing every carp you see is obeying any game law in any
state.

General Prohibited Acts
It is a violation to:

a.. Take, kill, or disturb sea turtles or sea turtle eggs;
b.. Take, kill, or disturb any endangered or threatened species (like
paddlefish, shovel-nosed sturgeon, and others);
c.. Take or kill porpoises, dolphins (mammals), or whales;
d.. Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia, grass carp,

or
any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful,

Do you have a list of harmful or potentially harmful fish as defined
by the Texas Parks and Wildlife?
And if som is the "common Carp" on that list?

[...]

The common carp is not on the above list.
Silver carp and Bighead carp are not the "common carp" we all know.

or

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/un...s_151627_7.pdf
It is unlawful to:
Possess or transport any live genetically engineered organism or the
following nonnative fish: bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, grass

carp
(white amur), members of the snakehead family, bitterling, Ide, Japanese
weatherfish, rudd, tench, eurasian ruffe, tuberose goby, or round goby.
To do so may result in a civil fine of up to $10,000.

Again, the common carp is not on the above list.
But thanks for your post. I'll remember not to release any
New Zealand mud snails next time I'm fishing.

States vary, but the general drift tends toward killing the carp. I

don't
mind 50 pounds of carp per acre, but 1,000 + pounds an acre is just too
much. I see you've switched to "common carp" rather than the broad

"carp"
you started with.

Hate to break it to ya, but nothing you posted above makes any reference to
the common carp.
I haven't merely "switched" to common carp...I have clarified this
discussion because so many people
have been confused by the rather idiotic naming of 4 non-native fish that
are "members of the carp family"
as "carp".
Since you still seem unclear on this point, I'll be happy to explain again.

The common carp was deliberately introduced into the US in the 1800s. This
is the brown fat fish with the two barbels,
the sucker-like mouth, that digs up the mud, destroys habitat and reproduces
at an alarming rate.
"Common carp" is the CORRECT NAME for this fish which Rodney considers
vermin, and a great many
of us consider to be over abundant and destructive to the native species and
habitat.
If you don't believe me, take a look.
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...ommon_carp.htm

The Grass Carp (White Amur) was also deliberately introduced and bercause it
feeds solely on algae and
aquatic plants it is used by many states to get rid of excess vegetation.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...species/gcarp/

The Black Carp (Snail carp, Chinese Roach)was introduced by mistake.
They look more like big chubs than the common carp.
http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/ansrp/.../mpfig%203.jpg

The Bighead carp and Silver Carp are really nothing like carp. They don't
feed on everything they find on tghe bottom
like the common carp does. Rather, they are a pelagic fish swimming near the
surface and feeding on plankton.
These two got into our river systems by accident.
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/LaCrosseF...rp_silver.html
http://www.bowfishiowa.com/Muzzy_37lb_Bighead.jpg

The last two species poses a potential threat, whereas the common carp has
been in this country
long enough that we know pretty damn well what it does.

Old March 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Okay, this is my take on carp. Actually, not my take, I've read this
stuff over the years, so it may or may not be true.

Carp were introduced from Europe to replace depleted food species like
the sturgeon. Apparently carp were highly thought of as a food
species in Europe. This was done with the full knowledge and blessing of
our federal government, a long time ago.

Before the introduction of the European Carp, bass were so numerous that
they were actually commercially fished in the Canal feeder reservoirs,
Buckeye, Indian and Grand Lake Saint Marys, in Ohio. Bass were also
commecially fished in the Western Basin of Lake Erie.

Anyway, the above, about commercial fishing, is an almost direct quote.

I've fished one of the old Ohio reservoirs, Buckeye, for years. I have
watched carp spawn. They spawn at the same time and in the same spots
favored by Largemouth bass. Their spawning habits includes rolling
violently around vegetated shoreline areas. This has got to be
destructive to bass nests. You can witness this behaviour every year at
Buckeye lake. I would like to see these failed food fish removed from our
waters. They don't belong here even though they might be fun to catch.

It is my undestanding that Buffalo fish are good tasting as is the
Sheepshead. I have never eaten a Buffalo fish but I have eaten Sheepshead
and they're pretty tasty.

That's my take, IMHO, YMMV.

Buck