my first fly

Old July 28th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Vittorix

Default my first fly

today I realized my first fly
http://snipurl.com/firstfly
I tried to realize just taking ideas from other flies, I didn't read
anything about fly realizing yet.

the only thing is that it is a little too much unbalanced, it sinks down
too much with the head, I'd like it could go down less vertically.
any suggestion?

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vittorix" wrote in message
today I realized my first fly
http://snipurl.com/firstfly
I tried to realize just taking ideas from other flies, I didn't read
anything about fly realizing yet.

the only thing is that it is a little too much unbalanced, it sinks down
too much with the head, I'd like it could go down less vertically.
any suggestion?

--
ciao
Vittorix

Some kind of spray on dressing? A body made from fluffed feathers or other
fuzz as opposed to built up?

Actually that looks like a good fly to throw for bass in an area with lots
of pumpkinseed sunfish, and subsurface is not a bad thing. Basically it
looks like a streamer.

I'ld also post your Q over in ROFF and/or in ABPF.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Vittorix

Bob La Londe wrote:

today I realized my first fly
http://snipurl.com/firstfly
I tried to realize just taking ideas from other flies, I didn't read
anything about fly realizing yet.

the only thing is that it is a little too much unbalanced, it sinks
down too much with the head, I'd like it could go down less
vertically. any suggestion?

Some kind of spray on dressing?

I've a lot to learn, what kind of spray?

Actually that looks like a good fly to throw for bass in an area with
lots of pumpkinseed sunfish, and subsurface is not a bad thing.
Basically it looks like a streamer.

good, I'll try where there are basses.
do you know what colors would be better for
stiped/largemouth/smallmouth?

I'ld also post your Q over in ROFF and/or in ABPF.

unluckily my news server doesn't support ABPF, do you know a public free
server who has a lot of newsgroups and ABPF?
what is the largest free american news server?

I'm going to post in ROFF, hoping they won't kill me

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vittorix" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

today I realized my first fly
http://snipurl.com/firstfly
I tried to realize just taking ideas from other flies, I didn't read
anything about fly realizing yet.

the only thing is that it is a little too much unbalanced, it sinks
down too much with the head, I'd like it could go down less
vertically. any suggestion?

Some kind of spray on dressing?

I've a lot to learn, what kind of spray?

Yes, a lot to learn including how to reap the benefits of other's knowledge
with out sounding like you are too lazy to do any research on your own.

I think Joe Haubenreich first pointed this out to you in another thread, but
you have a way of coming off that sounds like "do it for me."

Now I am going to give you a little extra help anyway.

1. First bear in mind, I am not a fly fiherman, but I GAVE you this basic
concept.
2. Go to Google. Oh allright. Type www.google.com into the address box
on your browser, and then press Enter.
3. Goto the text box that appears in the middle of the screen and type in
fly dressing. If that doesn't give you anything useful then try "fly
dressing", if that still doesn't show any good results try make flies
float.
4. a. Now visit all the links it shows you and read what it has to
say.
b. Go more than 1 or 2 pages deep in the search results. Usually
you can get to all the decent informational pages within 3 or 4 pages of
search results. Don't discount purely commercial pages though. Often those
people understand that in order to sell product they have to give some
useful information.
5. After spending a day or two studying and learning so that you have a
real knowledge of what others have taken the time to document for you go
back to Google and do a search for answers to your new questions.
6. After doing all of that go back over to ROFF and ask the brand new
questions you have that you have not been able to research and figure out on
your own. Questions you don't even know to ask right now.

Not trying to be sarcastic (well maybe a little bit)
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Flycatcher

Well I think that's pretty good for a first attempt - My first fly was a bog
standard black spider although my daughter's first attempt was more like
something you'd see worn at royal ascot!

One other thing, fish tend not to be too fussy about the finer points of
flytying - so don't worry too much about how it looks. Your creation is just
as likely to catch something as the most professionally tied fly.

John

Visit Harelaw Trout Fishery
http://www.harelaw.net

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Vittorix

Bob La Londe wrote:

I've a lot to learn, what kind of spray?

Yes, a lot to learn including how to reap the benefits of other's
knowledge with out sounding like you are too lazy to do any research
on your own.
I think Joe Haubenreich first pointed this out to you in another
thread, but you have a way of coming off that sounds like "do it for
me."

I don't understand the reason of this polemics. I don't know if there is
some problem with the language, but I am usually used to post answers,
questions and discussions in other newsgroups in Italian where I teach
with no problem all I know the best to the newbies (I'm a lot more
expert of sea fishing than freshwaters) and I in the mean time ask
questions and raise discussions, that are the purpose of the newsgroups.
I give patiently 3000 times the same suggestions about fishing sea
breams and European basses to newbies without saying them "search on the
Google and RTFM!".
Joe Haubenreich kindly told me about two studies but I couldn't find
them, so I think you should just don't be prejudiced and relax.

[...]

you result just stupid.

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Vittorix

Flycatcher wrote:
Well I think that's pretty good for a first attempt - My first fly
was a bog standard black spider although my daughter's first attempt
was more like something you'd see worn at royal ascot!

thanks Flycatcher, thats encouraging!

One other thing, fish tend not to be too fussy about the finer points
of flytying - so don't worry too much about how it looks. Your
creation is just as likely to catch something as the most
professionally tied fly.

I'm trying to enstabilish what is really important to fishes and I'm
discussing in other newsgroups about colors, I don't know if fishes see
really them or not.
maybe the form and the movement of the fly it's more important than the
color, but some people swears colors can make the difference!

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vittorix" wrote in message
Not trying to be sarcastic (well maybe a little bit)

you result just stupid.

Just stupid? Really. Well, before posting my suggestion I actually did
exactly those steps. I found a huge number of articles on fly dressing,
although most of them referred to the tying materials, and not to a dressing
to make them float. Then I did the search for - make flies float - and
found a couple good articles on just that. You just managed to come off yet
again like one of those students I used to tutor in college who would come
for help and then shortly reveal that they had never done any of the
homework or research. They didn't even know if they had a problem with the
material because they never bothered to read it.

I gave you a possible answer to your question and some constructive
criticism to your design in my first reply. Yet instead of using that
knowledge to good use and looking it up you asked the rest of us to do it
for you.

Since I don't read Italian, (although Babel fish could translate if I
cared), I haven't bothered to read any of your posts on the IT newsgroups,
but I have read dozens of your recent posts in English language groups,and
you seem to be all take and very little give.

Give me a boat ride. Tell me the conclusions of the studies, I can't be
bothered to look them up. (Not even can you tell me if there is a link
where I can read them myself) Tell me what to use and how to do it even
though you already gave me the basic building step I needed.

Was my result stupid? Yeah probably, to you anyway. Most vacuums find
anything they can't just suck up to be stupid.
--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vittorix" wrote in message

but some people swears colors can make the difference!

And some people read the studies.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Vittorix" wrote in message

but some people swears colors can make the difference!

And some people read the studies.

Here is a freebie.
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lure.html
First result on a Yahoo search.

Nope I won't read it and summarize it for you. LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com