R. Dean is correct

Old October 15th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Dave LaCourse

Default R. Dean is correct

I just got back from a week long trip to Mississippi. Six of us drove
two RVs to Waveland, MS to be used for housing by recovery workers.
We also set up a 35 foot square tent to sleep more workers.

Waveland is worse than a war zone. Homes from the shore inland for up
to a mile no longer exist. The storm surge reached unbelievable
hights. We saw parts of houses caught 20 feet up in trees. Clothing,
appliances, furniture was everywhere. Most usinesses were totally
detstroyed. The town hall, and the fire and police dept buildings
were completely swept away. We found the town hall location by
looking for a memorial to a hurricane (Camille?) in 1969.

Most people lost everything they owned. House, furniture, appliances,
cars, you-name-it. And, it wasn't just those folks that live near the
shore. The storm surge went inland 6 miles on Rt 403 and across I10.
On the underpass of 403 and I10, there is a high water mark at least
25 feet from the road.

Waveland and Pass Christian were far worse that anything New Orleans
saw. Fortunately the Mississippi governor had the NG in the day after
the storm picking up survivors, plowing roads (mud up to a foot thick
in places), cutting up trees and picking up debris. Folks used to
park their cars on Rt403 heading north from the town because it was a
high spot and survived all previous hurricanes. Not Katrina. A
hundred or so cars are still sitting in the ditch and woods having
been swept there by the tidal surge. All pine trees that were
underwater have since died, giving the place an eerie look.

There is no potable water and only a few places have electricity. No
stores are open - folks have to drive to Gulfport for food and water.
Several churches from Alabama set up a soup kitchen on the corner of
Rts 90 and 403 and they are feeding three meals to more than 1000
people each day. It's the only place in town were you can get a drink
of water. Or ice.

On a tour of the devastation our van broke down and required a jump.
A middle aged couple stopped and got us going again. They were happy,
pleasant, and we thought that they too were outsiders. They weren't.
They lost everything they had and are now living in a pop-up camper on
the slab that was once their home.

Although there were rich folks who lost everything, most of the
destroyed home belonged to hard-working folks that were anything but
rich in material things. In spirit and mind, they are far richer than
anyone I've ever met. They aren't bitching and moaning about
government help. They are rolling up their sleeves and getting on
with their lives.

I'm glad to be home, but my thoughts will be in Waveland and Pass
Cristian.

Happy to see that the F4 thread is up to over 200 replies, and that
people are still picking on Wolfgang.

Old October 15th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Dave LaCourse wrote:
I just got back from a week long trip to Mississippi. ...

From the Subject: header I expected a Cadillac count and
a rant against the Red Cross.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Mike Connor

"Dave LaCourse" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Mr.Dean may well be correct, he had no particular reason to lie.

You are doubtless also correct, and your account truthful.

Unfortunately you ruined it by being petty at the end of it.

Charity begins at home.

TL
MC

Old October 15th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Wolfgang

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message

...Waveland is worse than a war zone.....

Napalming the survivors, are they?

Happy to see that the F4 thread is up to over 200 replies, and that
people are still picking on Wolfgang.

Well, it beats burning babies.

Wolfgang
who can't help it......what with being evil and all.

Old October 16th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:23:00 +0200, "Mike Connor"
wrote:

Unfortunately you ruined it by being petty at the end of it.

Why must you be such an insufferable prig?

Old October 16th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Wolfgang

wrote:

Unfortunately you ruined it by being petty at the end of it.

Why must you be such an insufferable prig?

BANG!......WHIZZZZZZ...... POW!!!!!

WHOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!

You ever wonder how life might be different if you could identify the target
BEFORE the barrage?

Wolfgang
who, personally, wonders.......now that dicklet and davie have
single-handedly saved the world........what's next?

Old October 16th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Wayne Knight

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

what's next?

That would be all the poor single mothers having more kids to get bigger
checks

Old October 16th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Wolfgang

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
...On a tour of the devastation our van broke down and required a jump....

SIGH!

What does it take to get a good tour these days?

I mean, time was when a boy could get a really good guide........and maybe a
couple of semi-clean hookers for twenty/thirty bucks worth of food stamps.

SIGH!

Wolfgang
who love you long time, ichiban sailorsan........ainna?
p.s. jump this.

Old October 16th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Wolfgang

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
I just got back from a week long trip to Mississippi.....

Ah, the good life!

I been thinkin' bout goin' down ther my own self.........pick up a bit a'
strange......hell, the ol' lady'll never know, huh? ;-)

Wolfgang
gittin' that ol' jungle fever.

Old October 16th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Wolfgang

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
.....Six of us .....set up a 35 foot square tent.....

WHOOOOOWHEEEEE!!!!!!

Jist six 'a ya'll??!!

DANG!

Wolfgang
the next time somebody asks ya'll about where all the REAL heroes have