Sturdy's Fancy

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Alec Powell

Default Sturdy's Fancy

Gents,
Firstly is it still worth using this group anymore?
Maybe Usenet is a thing of the past?
Anyway, maybe Bill or some other fly tiers might be able to give me the
ingredients and instructions for this pattern which came up in
conversation with a Yorkshire friend of mine. Probably no good for us
southerners but my friend tells me he knew the originator and a little
gift of a copy would not go amiss.
Best wishes to all the old crowd and how about a gathering this year.
Back to Brenig?
Cheers,
Alec
--
"The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of mens lives the hours
spent in fishing......"

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Alec Powell
writes
Gents,
Firstly is it still worth using this group anymore?
Maybe Usenet is a thing of the past?
Anyway, maybe Bill or some other fly tiers might be able to give me the
ingredients and instructions for this pattern which came up in
conversation with a Yorkshire friend of mine. Probably no good for us
southerners but my friend tells me he knew the originator and a little
gift of a copy would not go amiss.
Best wishes to all the old crowd and how about a gathering this year.
Back to Brenig?
Cheers,
Alec

Sorry Alex - never heard of it.

Can you give a detailed description, maybe then a similar fly may be
found. Sometimes flies are tied with a slight variation on a well known
pattern then given a new name.

E.G. a large hook - say #6 with a 4 " worm might easily be called
Andy's Fancy :-).........with a squirrel tail wing - a Dave's Delight!

Only joking Andy :-)
--
Bill Grey

Old February 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:
In article , Alec Powell
writes
Gents,
Firstly is it still worth using this group anymore?

It makes a nice doorstop, genuine antique that y'know.

Maybe Usenet is a thing of the past?
Anyway, maybe Bill or some other fly tiers might be able to give me the
ingredients and instructions for this pattern which came up in
conversation with a Yorkshire friend of mine. Probably no good for us
southerners but my friend tells me he knew the originator and a little
gift of a copy would not go amiss.

A rough water fly. Basically a red tag with a white hackle - something like:

Hackle: white cock
Body: peacock herl
Tag: Red wool

My guess is that a conventional red tag with a red-brown hackle would work
at least as well but the white probably makes the fly more visible - to the
angler - on fast, peat tinged water.

Best wishes to all the old crowd and how about a gathering this year.
Back to Brenig?
Cheers,
Alec

Sorry Alex - never heard of it.

Can you give a detailed description, maybe then a similar fly may be
found. Sometimes flies are tied with a slight variation on a well known
pattern then given a new name.

E.G. a large hook - say #6 with a 4 " worm might easily be called
Andy's Fancy :-)

Usually the 'garden ranger'

.........with a squirrel tail wing - a Dave's Delight!

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old February 15th, 2009, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
DerekW

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
Gents,
Firstly is it still worth using this group anymore?
Maybe Usenet is a thing of the past?
Anyway, maybe Bill or some other fly tiers might be able to give me the
ingredients and instructions for this pattern which came up in
conversation with a Yorkshire friend of mine. Probably no good for us
southerners but my friend tells me he knew the originator and a little
gift of a copy would not go amiss.
Best wishes to all the old crowd and how about a gathering this year. Back
to Brenig?
Cheers,
Alec
--
"The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of mens lives the hours
spent in fishing......"

Strange but not in my bookshelf ( I have no idea what happened to my one
grayling patterns book) . Looking at this image it appears to be a red tag
tied dry with a white hackle unusually using purple silk sunstitute red
silk and a badger hackle and its the fly I used on the upper reaches of the
River Dane for wild browns
http://www.fishingwithstyle.co.uk/sturdy's%20fancy.JPG

I found this suggestion for the pattern

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=277206

Hook: 16 down to 20
Tail: Red Fluorescent Nylon Floss (in the photo mine is too long by about a
third)
Body: A strand of peacock herl
Rib: the tying thread
Hackle: "Mucky White" was the original but pale cream seems to be very good

Derek W
Makes note renew moth deterrent in dressing box!

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Andy Lawson

size 14 fine wire

double maggot

;o)

--
Andy

Old February 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Andy Lawson
writes
size 14 fine wire

double maggot

;o)

Now you're talking!
--
Bill Grey

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bill Grey

In message , Derek Moody
writes
A rough water fly. Basically a red tag with a white hackle - something like:

Hackle: white cock
Body: peacock herl
Tag: Red wool

My guess is that a conventional red tag with a red-brown hackle would work
at least as well but the white probably makes the fly more visible - to the
angler - on fast, peat tinged water.

Quite agree Derek, but I can't help thinking the purple head is a bit of
an angler's dream considering all the other colours involved. A
wouldn't think a trout would be /that/ fussy.
--
Bill Grey

Old August 16th, 2009, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Bill Grey
wrote:
In message , Derek Moody
writes
A rough water fly. Basically a red tag with a white hackle - something like:

wouldn't think a trout would be /that/ fussy.

Oh I agree but the OP was asking for a particular pattern for sentimental
reasons.

Have you had problems with your newsfeed Bill? This thread, and another
you've posted to, are months old...

Cheerio,

Old August 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bill Grey

In message , Derek Moody
writes
Have you had problems with your newsfeed Bill? This thread, and another
you've posted to, are months old...

Indeed I have Derek. I realised that I had a problem when I saw the
dates of the items to which I responded.

Rather strange that URFG is the only NG which has suffered though.
I've looked in on the group for several months and saw nothing, and was
beginning to think that everyone had given up posting !

Best wishes to all
--
Bill Grey