Fly Tying Question

Old September 25th, 2008, 12:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Dave LaCourse

Default Fly Tying Question

I have a friend named Vincent (Vinny). Vinny just "graduated" from
high school. He is 20 yo. He received a "certificate of completion"
rather than a HS diploma. Vinny has an IQ of 70. He was born of an
alcoholic mother and father, and removed from them soon after his
birth. Surprizingly, he has fairly good motor skills (he's a whiz at
Quitar Hero!), and can learn - it just takes him a lot longer. He is
not spastic and has a steady hand and good eyes. His hearing is
somewhat diminished since birth.

Situation: Vinny has tried working in a supermarket bagging, and as a
bus boy at a local restaurant. He hates both of these jobs and thinks
they are beneath him. He wants, *needs*, a different vocation. He is
creative and capable of sovling puzzles (jigsaw, for example).

Questions: How difficult would it be to teach someone like Vinny to
tie flies? And, if he is successful at doing so, where could he sell
his creations? I realize that breaking in to such a market would be
tough for most, but I wonder if Vinny could tie and make a "get by
living" tying flies. He lives with his single adoptive mother who is
a professional woman and makes a fairly good living. The most
important thing is that he be accepted and have some worth. Right now
he is down on himself thinking that he has no real worth. I am
working with him and trying to change his attitude.

How does Umqua select their tyers? Orvis? If he can learn to tie,
and I believe he can, I know of several places that would accept his
flies, but only a few gross at a time. How does one break into the
professional fly tying community?

Dave
(Hoping there are no smart ass remarks posted)

Old September 25th, 2008, 01:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
Dave LaCourse

oops. wrong group. funny how that happens.

d;o(

Old September 26th, 2008, 12:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
jloomis

My nephew Christopher is quite a fly tier......
He is in College at the present and is an avid fisherman....
I am not sure where a guy would start except with his own creations, a fly
tieing kit, and some samples to bring in. Can you call a place like
Cabela's
or look on the internet......
What I am afraid is that many are tied in
China......or.......overseas.......
It sounds like a wonderful course to followup on, however it would take lots
of patience.....

I know here in Fort Bragg, Calif. they do have few trade schools that teach
woodworking and making patio furniture.....mostly for handicap indivduals...
Have you looked up trade schools in your area to see which may be a good
direction for him also...........

I have lots of ideas, and wish I were of some help.
jloomis

Old September 26th, 2008, 05:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.fishing
George

The problem with tying flies is the bulk flies are tied in Asia and cost
less than you could make them for here.
George in Las Vegas