Tups Indispensable

Old August 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM
MichaelM

Default Tups Indispensable

"Mike Connor" wrote in message
You will find the correct pattern he

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...s/part244.html

Mike, thanks for the info. well appreciated. Sorry for my replies going
to your email. I suppose that like an idiot I clicked "reply" instead of
"reply group"; I was a bit surprised to see in my inbox your replies, but
then I checked, and feel a bit of a dork for accidentally emailing the
replies instead of posting them to this NG as I ought to have done.

Although I have a mental image (involving hare's ear or rabbit fur perhaps)
of such a creation, please tell me the basic description of the "dog'sbody
fly". Dog's fur dubbing?

Regards,
Michael.

Old August 17th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Mike Connor

"MichaelM" wrote in message

Although I have a mental image (involving hare's ear or rabbit fur

perhaps)
of such a creation, please tell me the basic description of the "dog'sbody
fly". Dog's fur dubbing?

Regards,
Michael.

The "Dogsbody" looks like a cross beteen a "Gold Ribbed Hares Ear" and a
"Rough Olive". It was invented by the famous Usk fly-dresser, Mr Harry
Powell in 1924.

The original pattern was :
Body: Brown tying silk, dubbed with camel coloured dog´s hair, and ribbed
with oval gold tinsel.
Hackle: Barred Plymouth Rock ( Grizzly [Note from MC]) with a red gamecock
hackle in front
Whisks: Three strands of cock phesant centre tail.
Hook: 14 to 16 ( I also use this up to size 8! [MC]).

I usually use well blended hare body fur, for a number of reasons. It looks
just as good ( I have seen an original of this fly too). Camels come in a
large number of colours and shades, as do mongrel sheepdogs, ( which the
hair for the original pattern came from), both are hard to obtain, but I
already have plenty of hare fur!

This is my main standby pattern for rough streams, but I have used it all
over the place to great effect. It is reputed to do well when black gnats
are on, but it has always done fairly well for me, on occasion quite
spectacularly so, more or less regardless of what happens to be "on".

TL
MC