TR FWIW..not much

Old February 23rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Frank Church

Default TR FWIW..not much

After delivering the RV in Florida I raced back north to Grassy Pond in
Twin Lakes, GA. A very nice Air Force RV park and quite a gathering of
old fart AF types as well as Navy and Marine retirees. Put the boat in
around 1 PM, and proceeded to work the shoreline with bluegill foam
gurglers. One half-hearted slap at my gurgler was all I got that
afternoon. I could see nests all up and down the shoreline in what looked
like 3 to 4 ft of water. Smaller bluegill nests as well as dishpan sized
bass nests. No fish to be seen. It's my opinion the fish have not moved
in yet to spawn. The wind piped up so I went to Big Dale's Dirrty Blonde
streamers, no dice there either. Gave up when the wind got worse around 4
pm. Went to a local Sonny's Pit BBQ place and pigged out on BBQ ribs,
pork and chicken with a healthy dose of salad bar. Sat.morning dawned a
little foggy which burned off about 10 AM, no wind either. Same deal as
Friday, one lazy hit on a gurgler in about 3 hrs of cruising the lily
pads and shoreline. Just as I was wondering what to try next, the wind
came up with a vengence and made my decision for me. Back to the dock and
sip a "false"*beer with some folks on the back deck. Diabetes won't let
me partake of the real thing anymore. Not to say I might not sneak one in
now and then if pizza is involved. The locals opined the fishing would
pick up and get really good in March and April.
They are catching specks, crop-ee, crap-ee or sac-au-lait (take yer pick)
around the boat dock at night under the flood lights. BTW, specks, as far
as these georgians are concerned, is short for speckled perch. (to
further confuse things) So the upshot is the catching part sucked, but
the fishing was fantastic...nice to be cruising in my boat again
listening to the music of nature. As the guv of California said, "I'll be
back!" I left my boat in storage there to await my return next month.
BTW, the "false" beer had a weird name I can't remember but no alcohol.
It didn't taste that bad, really.

Frank Church
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Jeff Miller

Frank Church wrote:

They are catching specks, crop-ee, crap-ee or sac-au-lait (take yer pick)

spoke with a friend from windsor, nc (northeastern area of state on the
cashie and roanoke)... he says some folks in the area call crappie
"speckled perch".