OK, who did it........

Old February 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
snakefiddler

Default OK, who did it........

"asadi" wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote in message
. . .my dream book would be

...anything with foldouts...

john

LOL- No John, those would be categorized as magazines..... I know this,
I seen em in my brother's bedroom once....

Snakefiddler- not that I was snoopin or anything....

Old February 20th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Jeff Taylor

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

LOL- No John, those would be categorized as magazines..... I know

this,
I seen em in my brother's bedroom once....

Hope that wasn't in his sock draw... :-]

Old February 21st, 2004, 12:23 AM
Mike Connor

"snakefiddler" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

In what language was it first published?

Snake

Dutch, about 1675 I believe. Have to look it up .

Tl
MC

Old February 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM
snakefiddler

"Jeff Taylor" wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

LOL- No John, those would be categorized as magazines..... I know

this,
I seen em in my brother's bedroom once....

Hope that wasn't in his sock draw... :-]

Naw, they were under his bed....

Snakefiddler- ya, I was snoopin.... maybe that's why he put a lock on his
door.....

Old February 21st, 2004, 04:00 AM
Wolfgang

"William Claspy" wrote in message

I enjoy Kemp's columns.

I had mixed feelings about the book which, as I'm sure you've guessed, is a
compilation of his essays from the journal. Kemp is bright and he has
interesting ideas, but his writing style doesn't do much for me and, despite
his stated intention of providing some sort of thematic continuity through
the book, I didn't see much evidence of it. In his defense, I'll say that
this is a common failing of such efforts. I guess it isn't surprising that
authors' intimacy with their own works allows them to see connections that
aren't apparent to some of their readers. That said, most of the individaul
essays (or such of them as I remember) were well worth reading.

According to the DSB author, the English translation of Ephemeri vita
published in London in 1691 leaves out the "hymns to the Creator" :-)

I didn't know that. And, given that I've never seen the original or any
translation thereof, I probably never would have guessed it.

There's a copy of that over in Madison if you ever get over there.

Cool. As a matter of fact, I'm officially on vacation for the next week. A
trip to Mad Town might be fun. You don't happen to know which library it's
in, do you?......they've got a couple dozen on campus.

I have access to the English version (1758) of the Book of Nature- his
drawings of nymphs are *very* cool.

I did a google search for "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life". Nothing came
up. I haven't done a thorough search for any of his other works yet. I'm
hoping to find e-texts somewhere......any help would be appreciated.

Time to do a bit of research.

Research 'R' Us.

More fun that drowning kittens!

Wolfgang

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM
JR

http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html
Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:25 AM
Wolfgang

"JR" wrote in message ...
Wolfgang wrote:

I did a google search for "A Figure of Man's Miserable Life". Nothing

came
up. I haven't done a thorough search for any of his other works yet.

I'm
hoping to find e-texts somewhere......any help would be appreciated.

http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html

I'd found that site, but hadn't explored it yet. Thanks.

Wolfgang

Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:01 PM
JR

Wolfgang wrote:

"JR" wrote

http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html

I'd found that site, but hadn't explored it yet. Thanks.

Too bad the only English translation is of Ephemeri Vita, which is truly
fascinating, but unfortunately missing page 18.

Most good university libraries have the English translation of the Bybel
der Natuur, OR, if you've got a lot of nickels lying around:

http://tinyurl.com/2cz5n

JR
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Stephen Welsh

JR wrote in :

Too bad the only English translation is of Ephemeri Vita, which is truly
fascinating, but unfortunately missing page 18.

I only grok pictures anyway ...

Thanks for the URL btw ... fascinating material.

Steve (off to check the library catalogue ...)
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:11 PM
Wolfgang

"JR" wrote in message ...
Wolfgang wrote:

"JR" wrote

http://www.janswammerdam.net/online.html

I'd found that site, but hadn't explored it yet. Thanks.

Too bad the only English translation is of Ephemeri Vita, which is truly
fascinating,

Well, maybe ROFF has an enterprising young scholar with more time (and,
perhaps, less good sense) than money?

but unfortunately missing page 18.

Which, probably, had all the juicy bits.

Most good university libraries have the English translation of the Bybel
der Natuur, OR, if you've got a lot of nickels lying around:

http://tinyurl.com/2cz5n

Ouch!

Wolfgang
who has, unfortunately, not yet cornered the market on shiny new nickels.