Dropshotting

Old September 21st, 2004, 04:31 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Dropshotting

Yeah, one of my buddies swears by the weighted Storm minnows. He says they
sit nose down in the bed. I was also thinking a deep diving crank bait for
those bass that are so fast to pick up a bait and spit it out. Soemthing
suspending or with a couple suspend dots to keep it down. Crank it into the
bed and then kill it.

I have another buddy who uses one of Gilbert's big waterdogs with a Daiichi
butt dragger hook for the same affect as the Storm minnows. He pushes the
hook all the way through the water dog and leaves the point exposed.
Actually TJ at Daiichi first told me about that technique.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Try one of the Starm natural minnows on the nests Bob.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ds for bedders. I like that. I have a coule repeat beds picked out for
next season that this might just be the ticket for.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"go-bassn" wrote in message
You can ds anywhere you cr, shallow & deep water included. I've ds'ed

in
1
foot of water with great success.

WW
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
My best guess based on my total lack of skill at the technique

is....

Clear to lightly stained with scattered grass growing off the bottom

upto
as
tall as 2 feet. Depth being anywhere there are fish, but I can't

see
drop
shotting in really really shallow water. For really really really

deep
water I think I would tend to look more at a Carolina rig.

However, there are some exceptions. I might use a drop shot in

places
where
I would flip or pitch like standing tulies in 3-6 feet of water if I

felt
more finesse presentation would work. Probably go more to a "Bubba
Shotting" type app in those cases using 20lb fluorocarbon and a hook

with
weedguard. I might even use a weight with a rattle built in. My
presentation for this would probably be gin clear water where I have

seen
good fish. I would back way off from the tulies to near my maximum
pitching
distance and be prepared to kick my trolling motor upto high and

crash
into
the tulies if I hooked up a good fish.

Just some thoughts. Your mileage will vary.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

"John C. French" wrote in message
. ..
What are ideal conditions for DS? Such as deep or shallow, clear

or
stained,
weeds or gravel, etc. Any info anyone would like to give on

conditions
or
techniques is appreciated. I have tried several times with out

success.

TIA

John C. French

Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:25 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

It proved there were no fish at 15 feet! I wonder what the fish ID sees?
When I changed the screen to greyline and fiddled with the setting it showed
up a thermocline !? Must be getting near turn over, the surface temp was at
64 degrees. Sorry Warren I didn't get any digitals to post but we did make
some fantastic observation on the silty bottoms and bass coming down the
bank to check out the bait that was dusting the bottom. No bites, as I
think the set up we had was just too crude. It did, however, enlighten me
somewhat what happens with a C rig and how fish approach the bait. A
strongish wind didn't allow us to stay in one spot. If we get some more
time we will refine the rig and try once again.
--
Steve

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Go get em Steve, I expect pictures.

You need the long leader in the shallows to present the bait off the

bottom.
The angle of presentation is very thin in the shallows because you cast

from
a longer distance.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

---