BPS Hook are NOT for tournament anglers...

Old October 17th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Charles B. Summers

Default BPS Hook are NOT for tournament anglers...

I lost a fish yesterday that definately would have helped my standings, due
to a bad hook. I generally have no problems with the BPS hooks, but then
again, every now and then I get one that wants to bend very easily.
Yesterday was a good example. I set the hook on a fish and missed. I knew
good and well that he was there and felt the fish as I set the hook. When I
reeled in my line, I noticed the the hook was bent like I had hung up on a
rock... except there wasn't enough pressure for a bend like that. I examined
the hook to find that I could easily bend that thing in any direction I
wanted to, and it would remain in that position.

So, I'm going to be looking for another hook that I can use and won't bend.
I've tried the gammy's and the owners, but didn't like the gammys and the
owners are way too expensive. Anyone have any suggestions? (EWG - 2/0, 3/0,
4/0)

Old October 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM
AJH

Mustad's work ok for me..I use EWG black nickel..

Old October 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM
AJH

Mustad's work ok for me..I use EWG black nickel..

Old October 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM
AJH

Mustad's work ok for me..I use EWG black nickel..

Old October 17th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Thundercat

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:32:57 -0500, "Charles B. Summers"
wrote:

[...]

I quickly gave up on the BPS hooks for the exact same reason. I would
straighten them on lily pads. Gammy's, Texposers and Daiichi are all I
use.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.geocities.com/brooklynbill2003/products.html
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.

Old October 17th, 2004, 11:00 PM
AJH

I like Texposer hooks but I had one break when I was taking a fish off
now I wonder about them..

Old October 17th, 2004, 11:00 PM
AJH

Old October 18th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:32:57 -0500, "Charles B. Summers"
sent into the ether:

[...]

Why didn't you like the Gammies Charles. I love those hooks. I have
yet to get a bad one. I try to stay with the lighter wire styles
instead of the heavier ones. Now I have started using the reds. I
actually think the reds are making a difference.

Depending on what I am doing I use 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 or 4/0. All are
offset style straight worm hooks used Texas style for the most part.
I have some big craws I started using and was wondering do they make a
5/0?

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com