Penns Creek

Old March 29th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Frank Reid

Default Penns Creek

I heard tell there might be a couple of folks heading to Penns this weekend.
Hmm, fishing might be a bit off:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01555000

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old March 30th, 2005, 04:38 AM
vincent p. norris

I heard tell there might be a couple of folks heading to Penns this weekend.
Hmm, fishing might be a bit off:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01555000

We've had a lot of rain. This morning, my wife heard on the radio
that Penns Creek was threatening to flood the campground. Not Hemlock
Acres, I presume. Probably the one at Poe Paddy.

vince
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Mike Makela

"Frank Reid" moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote in message
I heard tell there might be a couple of folks heading to Penns this
weekend. Hmm, fishing might be a bit off:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01555000

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Yep, have a feeling most streams in our great state are still overflowing.
Hasn't been a good year for early season fishing, cold and/or raining, but
should be ripe by May,

Mike

Old March 30th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Scott Seidman

vincent p. norris wrote in
:

I heard tell there might be a couple of folks heading to Penns this
weekend. Hmm, fishing might be a bit off:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01555000

We've had a lot of rain. This morning, my wife heard on the radio
that Penns Creek was threatening to flood the campground. Not Hemlock
Acres, I presume. Probably the one at Poe Paddy.

vince

My recollection is that there's a hike down the gorge at Poe Paddy. It's
on pretty high ground.

Scott
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Stan Gula

Mike Makela wrote:
Yep, have a feeling most streams in our great state are still
overflowing.

From my experience, I thought that was normal?
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Old March 31st, 2005, 01:37 AM

Penns topped off at just under 6,000 fps the other day. That level
doesn't jeopardize the Poe Paddy campsites. In 1996 flows topped
25,000 fps and a few of the streamside campsites were washed away, and
not rebuilt. That was the second highest level recorded since 1930.
The highest flow recorded was just shy of 35,000 fps in 1972. I
wouldn't have wanted to be in the campsites that day....

Good fishing levels on Penns are ~250 to 700 fps. IMHO...

Jeff Shafer

Old March 31st, 2005, 03:19 AM
Mike Makela

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
newskA2e.52526$u76.7356@trndny08...
Mike Makela wrote:
Yep, have a feeling most streams in our great state are still
overflowing.

From my experience, I thought that was normal?
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Seems to be just about a month before the first clave it started raining,
and hasn't started since..

Mike

Old March 31st, 2005, 03:22 AM
vincent p. norris

My recollection is that there's a hike down the gorge at Poe Paddy. It's
on pretty high ground.

Scott

I guess you mean the path on the old rail bed that starts at the
tunnel and goes down to Cherry Run.

I was referring to the campground that's upstream of that, on
relatively low and flat ground--the one, I suppose, that Jeff Shafer
mentioned having been partially washed awy a few years ago.

The 1972 flood he refers to was during the hurricane Agnes, which
dumped rain on central PA for a week or so. I went down a couple of
weeks later, and saw junk strewn on tree trunks way over my head.

The Susquehanna rose so high it reached the second floor of the
Governor's Mansion in Harrisburg. If you know how wide that valley is
and how high above the river his mansion is, it boggles the mind tio
imagine that much water.

vince
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Jeff Miller

Mike Makela wrote:

Seems to be just about a month before the first clave it started raining,
and hasn't started since..

huh???