first catch on the fly rod

Old June 7th, 2004, 02:53 AM
snakefiddler

Default first catch on the fly rod

got up this mornin, loaded up the car with all the goodies that frank sent
me, as well as the numerous psychedelic, green, and black spiders generously
given to me by big dale, popped some indigo girls into the tape player, and
headed out with my daughter to wildcat lake in banner elk for a day of
fishing an swimming. as is typical in the higher elevations of the blue
ridge, the afternoon became fairly cool, so more time was spent fishing than
swimming.
after picking out our spot in the sand, and unloading our gear, my daughter
and i picked up our rods, she the spin rod, while i gleefully assembled my
new fly rod for my first time out with it. since i knew this lake to be
stocked mostly with bluegill, i used the psychedelic spider that dale said
would be best for these fish. what fun to watch the fish swim around it,
and come up and nibble at it. i made the spider jump and skip around a
little bit in the water, and before too long i had hooked my first fish ( a
bluegill) on my new fly rod. what a rush!! with much anticipation of my
next catch i recast, and repeated several times- with no further luck. i
had many more bites, but hooked none. my daughter and i went home after a
couple of hours, and ate dinner, which was followed by a trip to bass lake
in blowing rock. this lake too, is mostly stocked with bluegill, and the
like, and so the spider was returned to the rod. dale had suggested looking
for a bluegill bed and trying to cast around it, and even though i didn't
know what one looked like beforehand, it was not difficult to recognize one.
i cast my line right at the bed, where the bluegill guarding it could not
miss it. but that son of a bitch was so on task! nothing was going to
deter him from the duty at hand- not even such a culinary temptation! i
soon realized, after watching him run off any other fish that came near the
bed, that there would be no point attempting to fish in that spot. i moved
over some, between two sections of lily pads, and watched as the fish bit at
the spider, but again i hooked nothing. finally , being driven home by the
chilly evening winds, i drove off, satisfied with the first catch on my new
fly rod.
thank you frank, and big dale ;-)

snakefiddler- who is ready to quit school, and become a fishin bum

Old June 7th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Wolfgang

"snakefiddler" wrote in message
[...]

Dale's bugs are notoriously deadly for bluegills.....but NO bug works all
the time. I've been bit on the nipples three times by bluegills, and I once
watched one bite two mallards on their respective asses. Next time , try
varying the offerings a bit.

snakefiddler- who is ready to quit school, and become a fishin bum

Actually, the two are eminently combinable.

Wolfgang
who has been there.

Old June 7th, 2004, 03:41 AM
snakefiddler

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

[...]

OUCH! i'll keep my guard up..... ;-)

by bluegills,

and I once
watched one bite two mallards on their respective asses. Next time , try
varying the offerings a bit.

dale did suggest switching between the psychedelics, the blacks, and
olives.....
thanks for the tip ;-) i will need many more!

snakefiddler- who is ready to quit school, and become a fishin bum

Actually, the two are eminently combinable.

true , i did have my daughter quiz me while we were fishing, for an exam i
have in my north american indians class tommorrow ;-)

snake

Wolfgang
who has been there.

Old June 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Wolfgang

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

Dale's bugs are notoriously deadly for bluegills.....but NO bug works

all
the time. I've been bit on the nipples three times

OUCH!

Oh, it didn't hurt. It's just that......well, all unexpected like it
was......uh.....kind of startling. As a matter of fact, many people would
probab.......um.......well, never mind.

i'll keep my guard up..... ;-)

Do that. Kennie gets kinda........well, you know.

and I once
watched one bite two mallards on their respective asses. Next time ,

try
varying the offerings a bit.

dale did suggest switching between the psychedelics, the blacks, and
olives.....
thanks for the tip ;-) i will need many more!

And you'll find them here. You'll need to do a bit of wading......but then,
that's sort of the name of the game, ainna?

snakefiddler- who is ready to quit school, and become a fishin bum

Actually, the two are eminently combinable.

true , i did have my daughter quiz me while we were fishing, for an exam i
have in my north american indians class tommorrow ;-)

If it's an area of particular interest.....as opposed to merely another
class.....you might want to have a look at "Captured by the Indians",
subtitled "15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870", edited by Frederick Drimmer,
Dover Publications, 1961. As the title suggests, it's a compendium of
abbreviated versions of the accounts of a number of "white" people who had a
more intimate and more extended look at the subject matter than most.

Wolfgang

Old June 7th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Big Dale

snakefidler wrote:snipwhich was followed by a trip to bass lake

One morning during Waldo's Spring Fling Waldo took Frank and I over to bass
lake and we had some fun for a couple of hours. You won't be doing much wading
in that lake if you were fishing where we were. The little black and olive
flies I sent you are called Cap Spiders and are tied on 1/124 ounce crappie
jugs so they sink. If the fish do not want to take the flies off the surface,
then try one of the Cap spiders and slowly crawl them along the bottom. They
work pretty good at times. Nothing works great all the time, but I have caught
so many fish on these two kind of flies that they are my "go to" flies. The
only way to get used to hooking them is to keep doing it. That is why is
suggested learning on bluegill...you get more chances in a morning than on
trout in most cases. When I fished bass lake I kept hanging my flies in the
trees on the backcast. I hope you decorated a tree or two while you were there
also. grin.

Keep it up and have fun with this.

Big Dale
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM
snakefiddler

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

Dale's bugs are notoriously deadly for bluegills.....but NO bug works

all
the time. I've been bit on the nipples three times

OUCH!

Oh, it didn't hurt. It's just that......well, all unexpected like it
was......uh.....kind of startling. As a matter of fact, many people would
probab.......um.......well, never mind.

left ya a little confused, huh, wolfie?

i'll keep my guard up..... ;-)

Do that. Kennie gets kinda........well, you know.

kinda, kennie?

and I once
watched one bite two mallards on their respective asses. Next time ,

try
varying the offerings a bit.

dale did suggest switching between the psychedelics, the blacks, and
olives.....
thanks for the tip ;-) i will need many more!

And you'll find them here. You'll need to do a bit of wading......but

then,
that's sort of the name of the game, ainna?

certainly, and part of the attraction for a lover of the water, eh? i
actually did a good amount of wading yesterday, and in the somewhat rocky
lake in blowing rock, a pair of simms freestones bought for me by another
freind who is kind enough to assist in my endeavor, came in very handy for
just that purpose. ;-)

snakefiddler- who is ready to quit school, and become a fishin bum

Actually, the two are eminently combinable.

true , i did have my daughter quiz me while we were fishing, for an exam

have in my north american indians class tommorrow ;-)

If it's an area of particular interest.....as opposed to merely another
class.....you might want to have a look at "Captured by the Indians",
subtitled "15 Firsthand Accounts, 1750-1870", edited by Frederick Drimmer,
Dover Publications, 1961. As the title suggests, it's a compendium of
abbreviated versions of the accounts of a number of "white" people who had

more intimate and more extended look at the subject matter than most.

i'll look it up, and yes it is a particular interest, as my minor is
anthropology, and i *am* interested in indian history and culture. family
lore has it that we possess some amount of cherokee blood- i think from my
great great grandmother. anyway, my instructor, a very nice looking,
bearded, young , hip, animated, exhuberant, sandal wearing
fella................................
oh wait, where was i? ;-) oh yeah, anyway, he teaches a class that
concentrates soley on the mississippian indian culture- a class i would
really like to fit into my schedule before i finish up.

snakefiddler- on my way to work- but would rather be fishin.........

Wolfgang

Old June 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Joe McIntosh

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

i'll look it up, and yes it is a particular interest, as my minor is
anthropology, and i *am* interested in indian history and culture.

Indian Joe offers --you might enjoy readin "McIntosh and Weatherford -Creek
Indian Leaders " by Ben Griffith
Chief Billy was some generations back.

Old June 7th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Mark H. Bowen

Good to hear! Sorry I missed ya, but things came up that I had to attend
to.

We'll try again, if you wish, in the near future.

Mark

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM
snakefiddler

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in message
Good to hear! Sorry I missed ya, but things came up that I had to attend
to.

We'll try again, if you wish, in the near future.

it's all good- i'm sure we'll get around to it sooner or later, and yes i
still want to- there's nothin like one on one instruction.

snakefiddler

Mark

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:26 PM
snakefiddler

"Joe McIntosh" wrote in message

"snakefiddler" wrote in message

i'll look it up, and yes it is a particular interest, as my minor is
anthropology, and i *am* interested in indian history and culture.

Indian Joe offers --you might enjoy readin "McIntosh and

Weatherford -Creek
Indian Leaders " by Ben Griffith
Chief Billy was some generations back.

thanks for the recomendation joe, i picked it up from the campus library
today, and am anxious to get started on it. i have had the opportunity to
read the preface so far, and i'm looking forward to reading more.

how interesting to have an ancestor play such an important role in history.

snakefiddler