Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Joseph Bates Jr

Old January 7th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Softhackle

Default Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Joseph Bates Jr

Anyone read Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Dr. Joseph Bates Jr.
I finished the book last year and it has some great info about streamer
fishing theory. The Wizard on Plate 4 looks like a Penns Creek Killer.
Anybody want to tie me a few ;
Bruce

Old January 8th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Frank Reid

Anyone read Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Dr. Joseph Bates Jr.
I finished the book last year and it has some great info about streamer
fishing theory. The Wizard on Plate 4 looks like a Penns Creek Killer.
Anybody want to tie me a few ;
Bruce

Haven't read it, but I sorry to hear that your friggen arms are broken. ;-)
Sell the trailer yet? Trying to buy another repo pop-up that I can sell,
thinking about your trailer, but gotta get some bucks.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old January 8th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Thomas Littleton

"Softhackle" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone read Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Dr. Joseph Bates Jr.
I finished the book last year and it has some great info about streamer
fishing theory. The Wizard on Plate 4 looks like a Penns Creek Killer.
Anybody want to tie me a few ;
Bruce

Yes, it is a classic on basic streamer theory and practice.
No, I won't tie you a few, I taught you how to tie for just that reason. I
will, however, gladly field test your tied samples as a favor to you.
Tom

Old January 8th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Peter Charles

On 7 Jan 2005 15:48:26 -0800, "Softhackle"
wrote:

Anyone read Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing - Dr. Joseph Bates Jr.
I finished the book last year and it has some great info about streamer
fishing theory. The Wizard on Plate 4 looks like a Penns Creek Killer.
Anybody want to tie me a few ;
Bruce

great book, lousy plead

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Softhackle

Well, I pulled out the fly tying stuff and started working on the
Wizard. I bought some Carrie Stevens hooks last year for just this
purpose. I like how long the hooks are but the bend doesnt look like it
will hold a fish that jumps, I guess I'll findout in March. Frank I'll
put you on the easy monthly payment plan if I dont sell the camper by
April. But.. I hope is gone by then, I'm going to put it in the paper
up there in Feb.

Old January 10th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Ken

Streamers are good for Muskie, Pike, and other trash fish. They're not
bad in the salt either. Trout don't take streamers. That is a lie
propogated by those who want to broaden their streamer material market
into main-stream fly fishing. Trout do, however, take wet flys. That
is a whole different ballgame! I slayed the trout on a soft-hackle wet
fly last year on the Watauga.

Wayne
to fish is human....to release Divine!!

Old January 10th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Tim J.

Ken wrote:
Streamers are good for Muskie, Pike, and other trash fish. They're
not bad in the salt either. Trout don't take streamers. That is a
lie propogated by those who want to broaden their streamer material
market into main-stream fly fishing. Trout do, however, take wet
flys. That is a whole different ballgame! I slayed the trout on a
soft-hackle wet fly last year on the Watauga.

Wayne
to fish is human....to release Divine!!

I always thought Forty and Hart were the same person, but now there's
proof. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM
rw

Ken wrote:
Streamers are good for Muskie, Pike, and other trash fish. They're not
bad in the salt either. Trout don't take streamers.

I'm sure I've caught more big trout on streamers than on any other type
of pattern, including a 34" lake trout, many 20" bull trout, countless
cutthroat, a 20" brook trout in Henry's Lake, the best fish (a brown)
I've ever caught at Silver Creek, numerous steelhead, and the occasional
resident rainbow.

For big trout, streamers are productive.

Old January 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J. wrote:
Ken wrote:
Streamers are good ...
snip
Wayne
to fish is human....to release Divine!!

I always thought Forty and Hart were the same person, but now there's
proof. ;-)

Never has a smiley been such an important part of a post.

Geeeeeezus H. Christ, Timmmaaaaay, don't even *joke* about
something like that.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Ken

No, if I was Forty I would have said: "Streamer fishing is a government
conspiracy to take away the constitutional rights of dry fly fishermen
and assert oil company control over the flotantant industry. You
obviously suck because you ain't as smart as me and the Illini will
kick your ass with lavender boots. So THERE!!"