Father and son learning to fish near Cambridge - advice sought

Old February 14th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Tim Regan

Default Father and son learning to fish near Cambridge - advice sought

Hi All,

My 10 year old son wants to take up fishing with me. This seems a great
opportunity for us to get outside doing something fun together, but I
do not know how to fish! Has anyone got any advice:
- Do you know any good places for beginners to fish near west Cambridge
(we live in Hardwick)?
- Can anyone recommend beginner friendly clubs in the area?
- What kit should beginners buy?
- Are there any good introductory guides to fishing I should read?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Tim.

Old February 15th, 2005, 06:30 AM
simon

Ebay (www.ebay.co.uk) and your local (if you have one) Cash converter can
sometimes be a source of good gear at low prices.
This of course relies on some knowledge on your part as to what you are
buying...If you see something and then ask for advice
in here you'll find people pretty obliging.

Take a look at 'Improve your coarse fishing' magazine too.

SS

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions UFO and Simon, I'll certainly check the
"Improve Your Coarse Fishing" magazine out. Does anyone have any
particular recommendations for fishing tackle shops in the Cambridge
area?

Thanks,

Tim.

Old February 16th, 2005, 02:11 AM
bob francis

you could try an argos extra store they seem to have a lot
of good starter outfits.
bob

Old February 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM
simon

Cambridge isn't anywhere near me ..but it you're in the Colchester area
anytime I thoroughly reccomend a diversion off the A12 at Marks Tey to
call in at Wass' tackle.

They're really helpful...

http://www.wassfishingtackle.co.uk/

I'm a relative newcomer and find them really and genuinely helpful and
interested in the customer..
Simon.

Old February 18th, 2005, 04:51 PM
UFO

Go to the NEC 1st-3rd April for the go fishing show
http://www.gofishingshow.com/

Old February 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM
E. Carl Speros

Old March 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM
caroline

"E. Carl Speros" wrote
I don't know which Cambridge you're from ( Eng. or Mass.,

I'd imagine the title of the newsgroup might give a clue...

Old March 17th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Pedro Popadopolous

"Tim Regan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

My 10 year old son wants to take up fishing with me. This seems a great
opportunity for us to get outside doing something fun together, but I
do not know how to fish! Has anyone got any advice:
- Do you know any good places for beginners to fish near west Cambridge
(we live in Hardwick)?
- Can anyone recommend beginner friendly clubs in the area?
- What kit should beginners buy?
- Are there any good introductory guides to fishing I should read?

Hi Tim,

Join the Melbourn fishing club, there is a tackle shop in Melbourn, next
door to the chip shop. Great club with some nice lakes

Let me know how you get on

Paul