....anyone know what happened?

Old November 13th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Huck Palmatier

Default ....anyone know what happened?

Snipped from FishingWorld.Com New Center:
http://www.fishingworld.com/News/Rea...rtID=000016349

"In a highly unusual turn, angler Paul Tormanen of Lees Summit, Mo., was
arrested and charged with contest fraud by the Louisiana Department of
Wildlife and Fisheries following his weigh-in. Tormanen was subsequently
disqualified from the tournament and - after admitting he violated state
law - was banned from all future BASS tournaments for his unsportsmanlike
conduct. Conduct in BASS tournaments that reflects unfavorably on
sportsmanship or fair competition are grounds for disqualification."
......this fellow appeared to be an up and coming contender looking at his
stats.

Old November 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM

It was reported that that an angler found a bass tied up to a stump
before the tournament. The angler reported it to Fish and Wildlife.
They checked it out, tagged the fish and put it back were it was found.

When the angler weigh-in the fish, with the tag, he was arrested.

Goes to show people loose their heads, sometimes! I'm glad Louisiana
Dept. took care of it so quickly. These kind of things hurt fishing and
fisherman in general.

Something else the peta can throw in our face.

-Justin

www.SecretWeaponLures.com
www.BateyCustomLures.com
www.USABASSIN.com

Old November 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM
JR

wrote:
It was reported that that an angler found a bass tied up to a stump
before the tournament. The angler reported it to Fish and Wildlife.
They checked it out, tagged the fish and put it back were it was found.

When the angler weigh-in the fish, with the tag, he was arrested.

Goes to show people loose their heads, sometimes! I'm glad Louisiana
Dept. took care of it so quickly. These kind of things hurt fishing and
fisherman in general.

Something else the peta can throw in our face.

-Justin

www.SecretWeaponLures.com
www.BateyCustomLures.com
www.USABASSIN.com

I fished the Bassmaster Series last week on the Red River, and we were
told then that some traps had been set and that the Wildlife folks were
watching them. So I guess the caught them.

The thing to think about, what was the non-boater/co-anglar doing when
he took the fish off the stump?
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:13 PM
RichZ

JR wrote:

The thing to think about, what was the non-boater/co-anglar doing when
he took the fish off the stump?

I have seen a demonstration of catching "staked" bass, and unless
something went wrong or the coangler was a very naturally suspiscious
type AND new what to look for, he would never know.

Old November 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM
go-bassn

Never heard the term Rich, can you explain what happens with "staked" bass?

Thanks,

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Mike

Can you imagine if this was the NBA, MLB or NFL? In the NFL he would have
been suspended from one tournament and required to seek counseling. In MLB
he would have been ordered to start the next tournament blast off at the end
of the order. In the NBA he would have gained several new product
endorsements as a result of earning more "Street-Creds".

Thanks God there are some sports left with integrity!

Mike

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Mike wrote:
Can you imagine if this was the NBA, MLB or NFL? In the NFL he would have
been suspended from one tournament and required to seek counseling. In MLB
he would have been ordered to start the next tournament blast off at the end
of the order. ...

Pete Rose has been booted out of MLB for life and he didn't
cheat at baseball, he placed bets on MLB while managing.
You can defend the so-called "sport" of bass fishing without
denigrating baseball.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Rodney

RichZ wrote:

Trick was either invented or adopted by some TV fishermen to mimic
actual catches on camera.

We yelled fish on, Camera man fired up the camera then we started
fighting the fish, he filmed all the way through the release, then we
reposition the boat to the same place, and took several setting the hook
shots, When the film was edited it looked like the hook set was on that
fish. On occasion we did get the real hook set if we were filming dialog
while fishing Of course when filming top water baits it got expensive,
and very tiring for the camera man. Bata tape cost 1 dollar a min. or 60
dollars for an hours taping, normal show would be at least two tapes,
but when using top water baits where you saw the bass bust the lures, it
took 4 to 6 tapes a day, That's like 360 dollars just for the tape (used
only once by the way), or course the added tape also greatly increased
the editing time (major bucks per hour)

Today many shows are shot with much cheaper tapes, and much cheaper,
lighter, and better cameras.

Our camera was 32,000 dollars, today you can buy a camera that does it
better for around 3,000 dollars, and tapes under 10 dollars, so I'm sure
less staged hook sets are used.
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:49 AM
RichZ

go-bassn wrote:
Never heard the term Rich, can you explain what happens with "staked" bass?

Bass is hooked in mouth with a large safety pin or a simple wire (formed
from a paper clip or similar) looped through the tissue behind the upper
maxillary. Length of light line (6 or 8 pound test, 4 to 8 feet long) is
tied to clip and to something anchored to bottom in reasonably shallow
water. Stump, dock piling, etc.

Angler with deep diving crankbait and heavy line (EG 50 pound power pro)
casts around target until he snags the light mono. As he reels in, the
laws of physics dictate that his multi-trebeled crankbait will end up
bumping into the fish's face. Odds are, he's going to snag the fish on
the outside of the face somewhere, or even snag the clip. Now he sets
the hook hard, breaking the light mono.

Old November 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Ken Fortenberry

go-bassn wrote:
Lol Ken, I'd like to pose that same question to you after YOU practice for a
week, then endure 4 "breezy" tournament days on Lake Erie in a 20' bass
boat. To put tournament bass fishing & poker on the same shelf is just
wrong my friend.

OK, so maybe not poker but how about darts and bowling ? Or
if it absolutely has to have water and challenges what about
synchronized swimming ? Pro bass fishermen in waterproof eye
makeup and sequined swimsuits, now *THERE'S* a sport !! ;-)

Tournament bass fishing is far more mentally & physically challenging than
baseball. The only differences are that bassers aren't overpaid, they must
*earn* thier money & they appreciate thier fans lol...

I don't know Warren, I'll betcha there's more pro baseball
players who could be pro bass fishermen than vice versa.

Guys like Sosa, Thome...don't even get me started!

Warren ;-)

Never liked Sosa much, he doesn't respect the game and
besides I'm a Cardinal fan, but I've never heard a bad
word about Jim Thome.

--
Ken Fortenberry