possible virus attack--please help

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

Default possible virus attack--please help

In article , James
writes
W. D. Grey wrote:

In article
,
" writes
On May 15, 6:26*pm, Ken Fortenberry
hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking

me to click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a
"windows security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

Start using your caps key. And buy a Mac.

Problem solved.

--
Ken Fortenberry

i'd rather wear blue and orange underwear and apologize to
beancounter than follow either suggestion.

yfitons
wayno

Download AVG (free) and it will trap any virus and isolate it for you
to delete.

Excellent bit of software.

Avast Anti-virus is free also. I quit using AVG because I was having
trouble with the automatic updates on my laptop. I still use it on one
desktop. It's a very good anti-virus though. If you're using Firefox
you might try Adblock Plus. It's an add on. I also use Super
Antispyware also free. Jim

Funny you should mention Avast - I heard of this for the first time last
night!
--
Bill Grey

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On May 16, 5:58*am, " wrote:
hey, i am being bombarded by popups hawking "spyware protect 2009
alert" purporting to warn me of an "infiltration alert", asking me to
click on "yes" to "block this attack", and accompanied by a "windows
security alert" that contains grammatical errors.

anybody know how to deal with this?

in trouble in the old north state

wayno

Hey wayno: I just went 9 rounds with this same virus earlier this
week. Stupidly opened an attachment in FaceBook...it took three days
to finally get it out. I learned a lot in the process, but I wouldn't
recommend following all my footsteps, as I probably went in circles a
few times.

What eventually was the key piece was that I shut off system restore,
downloaded and ran SpyWare Doctor (contrary to other's posts here, AVG
did NOT catch it, even after waiting for a 4 hour full-system scan).
The freeware version of Spyware doctor identified two serious viruses
that came together; conficker and another that did what yours is doing
with fake malware popups. I paid the $40 for the commercial version of
Spyware Doctor ('with Antivirus') and it extracted the worms.

Then I reset System Restore, ran a couple of other freeware antivirus
scans to be sure that I was clean, then put them all on hibernate
(having them running in the background slowed my system down an insane
amount). I also had to do some manipulating of the proxy servers in
FireFox, as those had been hijacked, and I also had to manually delete
some registry keys.

Good luck...this one cost me a lot of anxiety. If you want some help
with it, email me privately and I'm happy to work it through with you.

--riverman