Penn's Clave Overview

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

Default Penn's Clave Overview

Well, another Penn's Clave has come and gonesigh!, and a good time was had
by all, I trust. A short summary, which I'll fill in with details later:

Early arrivals, Mike Shaw and Frank Reid, along with Dave Gunnett and Mike
Makela, arrived in Coburn by Friday evening(May 22). Gene Cyprich was there
as well, a very pleasant surprise, given his recent surgery. I arrived later
that evening, with Teddy, our miniature Eskimo dog that my wife and I are
trying to train to be a decent traveling companion(a work in progress,
still). Arriving as well were Jeff Miller and Joe McIntosh. Later on in the
weekend, we were joined by Joel Axelrad(sp?), Mike Pitch(aka Natty Bumpo and
John Baker(asadi). Vince Norris stopped in to visit later in the week.
Fishing, you ask?? Penn's at it's best. Surface and subsurface feeding fish,
with Grey Foxes, Green Drakes,
March Browns, 3 species of Sulfurs, 3 species of caddis,
Yellow and Black stoneflies, small Blue Quills and Blue Winged Olives, all
mixed together, made for interesting trout fishing. In the course of the
week, I saw the heaviest mass of falling spinners I have ever seen. On
another night, I witnessed Dorothea Sulfurs hatching out of the head of a
pool in literal streams, creating a fog of mayflies in the air.
We had a fine cookout at Stan's, had a moosemeat based Barley Stew cooked by
Frank Reid, shared Prime Rib at the Millheim, dined on Mountain Burgers at
the Sportsman's Club, and, in short, had a fine time of it. Everyone, to my
knowledge, took some trout from the local streams. Wildlife encounters were
limited to deer, beavers, mink and a host of birds. There apparently was a
bear attempting to access Clave Central, unseen by us, but reported by Rudy.
Teddy fended him off, by the looks of things.....
I will look at the notes I took, once I unpack the little notebook, and
break down the day-by-day sights and all. By then, I expect others will
chime in.........Thanks to all who came in!!
Tom

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article , Tom Littleton
writes
[...]

Any Clave attendees have a group photo with names that you can e-mail me
please. I've no idea whom you are other than as ROFF posters. It gets a
bit lonely this side of the pond :-)

TIA
--
Bill Grey

Old May 31st, 2009, 02:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gene

On May 30, 4:34*pm, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
[...]

Nice post Tom. Friday I fished the conference section of Fishing
Creek. Got 3 and lost 4 on size 18 PT. That night the coffin flies
were all over Stans Bridge. A friend got 2 and lost many more at
Ingleby, so Penns did become fishable Friday evening, I saw Mike and
Mike Friday morning but don't know where they ended up fishing. I'm
sorry I didn't get to fish with the ROFFians as much as I had wanted.
The next time I have "outside" guests I will bring them into the ROFF
fold.

Frank, Thanks for the frogs. Will try them on my neighbor's pond in
June and the Potomac once my 12 weeks are up (6/18) (not that I'm
counting)

Mike M, Looking forward to see the pictures you got.