My Tackle !

Old November 26th, 2003, 08:54 PM
CapStick

Default My Tackle !

Right i have my 6-80z 12ft rod that i am going to use mainly from the
rocks.
Fixed spool reel.

I have a good bait source (Mussels will tip with squid or mackeral)

Now Line
I think i have 20lb on the reel

I read about shock leader

so please comment on the following setup

main line 20LB
then 22 feet of 50LB for shock leader

then adjoin paternoster rig consisting of 50 lb to 10 lb weak link at 6oz
lead
10LB hook length(s) off the side.

Iam going to fish over rough rock.

What set up would you use.
Yes You.

---

Old November 26th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , CapStick
wrote:
Right i have my 6-80z 12ft rod that i am going to use mainly from the
rocks.
Fixed spool reel.

I have a good bait source (Mussels will tip with squid or mackeral)

Now Line
I think i have 20lb on the reel

I read about shock leader

so please comment on the following setup

main line 20LB
then 22 feet of 50LB for shock leader

then adjoin paternoster rig consisting of 50 lb to 10 lb weak link at 6oz
lead
10LB hook length(s) off the side.

Iam going to fish over rough rock.

What set up would you use.
Yes You.

Over rock in most of the western half of the country and in some of the east
I'd use a much lighter setup and a float.

Cheerio,

Old November 26th, 2003, 11:43 PM
CapStick

"John" wrote in message
20lb main line is a bit light for fishing rough ground. Use 30lb main line
and a 20lb rotten bottom to your lead. Also use 30lb for your hook length.

wouldn't bother with the shock leader.

John

I am Ex Coarse Angler

When you say 20LB rotten Bottom.

is this a link i am expecting to snap should the lead becom snagged

---

Old November 27th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Handy Andy

The lead is joined to the link held by a short 'breaking' length of mono
(say 150mm of 5kg), BUT, when casting , by a small steel hook, fitted to the
link that would 'normally' hold the loop at the top of the lead . When it
hits the water, the lead drops off this hook, and if it get 'hung-up', the
lighter breaking strain mono might snap !!
I also use only thin wire hooks for rough areas, they usually 'bend'
straight and pull out of the snag before the mono snaps !! sometimes....

Another thought -- fishing off rocks does not mean casting across to Dublin
/ Calais etc. ... so bear that in mind !!

Old November 27th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Andy Mustoe

I would be inclined to use a shock leader, no matter what sort of tackle you
are using there is a safety factor in using a leader.
You have less chance of the line breaking should you mess up when casting
particularly if you are using 6 - 8 oz weights.
I would recommend a 60lb leader for this sort of weight.

Old November 27th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Handy Andy

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/saltfaq/saltf_06.htm refers

Old November 27th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Antony Wills

I think I would up the shockleader to 60lb, remember the formula 10lb to
every ounce of lead. 6oz lead = 60lb

---