Looking for Some Tail

Old November 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
NJpatbee[_3_]

Default Looking for Some Tail

A standard pattern in my fly box is the Fluttering Caddis made popular
by Leonard Wright, which I tie using mink tail fibers for the downwing.
My supply of mink tail that I stocked up on years ago is looking ragged
and it is time to order more. It was once a common fly tying material
item, but I have been searching the web for mink tails in different
shades of brown, cream, and grey (pink, purple, orange, and black can
all be found on e-bay). I have not yet found a North American fly shop
or fur supplier that offers them.

Does anyone know of a fly shop or reliable supplier that sells them?

Thanks

--
NJpatbee

::NJPB::
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:08:18 -0500, NJpatbee
wrote:

A standard pattern in my fly box is the Fluttering Caddis made popular
by Leonard Wright, which I tie using mink tail fibers for the downwing.
My supply of mink tail that I stocked up on years ago is looking ragged
and it is time to order more. It was once a common fly tying material
item, but I have been searching the web for mink tails in different
shades of brown, cream, and grey (pink, purple, orange, and black can
all be found on e-bay). I have not yet found a North American fly shop
or fur supplier that offers them.

Does anyone know of a fly shop or reliable supplier that sells them?

Thanks

Check your local Goodwill store yet?

/daytripper (heck, you could end up with 1000 lifetimes worth of tail)
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Soft-hackle[_11_]

Or find someone that traps. They often get mink. Sometime the pelt may
be flawed and can not be sold to the fur market. In this case you might
be able to get a pelt fairly cheap. Also look he

'mink tails, Vintage, Women's Accessories, Handbags items on eBay.com'
(http://tinyurl.com/36z44m)

Mark

--
Soft-hackle

'Flymphs, Soft-hackles & Spiders' (http://tinyurl.com/2u5ak6)
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
RickW[_2_]

try this: 'Mink Tails, White Mink Tails' (http://tinyurl.com/2m2zdx)

maybe you can dye the white ones to meet yr needs

--
RickW

*Vidi Aquam*
I saw water flowing from the right side of the temple, alleluia; and
all they to whom that water came were saved, and they shall say,
alleluia, alleluia.
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
NJpatbee[_4_]

Thanks for the suggestions and it looks like e-Bay seems to be the best
choice. There are some mahogany colored tails i may purchase and a
couple of white ones.

Has anyone ever dyed mink? I am thinking RIT dye unless someone knows
better.

--
NJpatbee

::NJPB::
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
streamertyer

Is it any surprise that I was drawn to this thread, given the title...
:-)

Scan down on this page:

'Tanned Furs : TAILS (6060) : hideandfur.com'
(http://tinyurl.com/2tqy5q)

Chris

--
streamertyer