Don't let yer meat loaf

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Wolfgang

Default Don't let yer meat loaf

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message
m...
"Wolfgang" wrote in message

today's challenge: can ANYBODY think of a bull****, knock

together, grab
bag, whatever **** you can find, throw the last rotting dregs from

the
refrigerator, if you can't identify it it's a ****ing ingredient,

food
that's been the subject of more abject nonsense and militant

moronic
"authenticity" than chili (or chilli.....or chile....or

whateverthe****, if
you prefer)?

Uh ... meatloaf?

Hm......meatloaf......well, yeah, meatloaf does come in for its share
of favorite variants. However, I think it lacks the million or so one
and only authentic recipes, each one with its own loyal cadre of
adherents willing to die....or, preferably, to kill.... to protect its
sanctity, that chili enjoys.

Chuck Vance (whose mom always put chocolate in her

chili/meat-sauce)

I'm somewhat surprised to suddenly see these references to chocolate
in chili. I'm going to have to give this a try sometime soon.

Wolfgang
on the other hand.......chocolate on macaroni......hm......i dunno.

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM
riverman

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

today's challenge: can ANYBODY think of a bull****, knock

together, grab
bag, whatever **** you can find, throw the last rotting dregs from

the
refrigerator, if you can't identify it it's a ****ing ingredient,

food
that's been the subject of more abject nonsense and militant

moronic
"authenticity" than chili (or chilli.....or chile....or

whateverthe****, if
you prefer)?

Uh ... meatloaf?

Hm......meatloaf......well, yeah, meatloaf does come in for its share
of favorite variants. However, I think it lacks the million or so one
and only authentic recipes, each one with its own loyal cadre of
adherents willing to die....or, preferably, to kill.... to protect its
sanctity, that chili enjoys.

I think spaghetti sauce runs a close second, although the variants all seem
to have some similarity to each other. Barbeque sauce, ribs, homemade mac
and cheese, and how to cut a watermelon all come in the running, too, IMHO.

--riverman

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:51 PM
riverman

"rb608" wrote in message

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
om...
Have you noticed that you don't get peanuts ( or anything now
for that matter) on airplanes anymore?

For the sake of anecdotal refutation, I'll mention that as recently as a

few
months ago (I don't fly that much anymore), I did indeed get me a couple
bags of those delightful airline goobers on a Southwest flight.

Interesting enough, labelled "Snack" with no clear reference to peanuts. The
ingredients did say "may contain peanut products", but I figure that
disclaimer could apply to absolutely anything, and as such, is meaningless.

--riverman
(where's a good lawyer when your bank account needs one?)

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Wolfgang

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message

Egg cream afficianados often vehemently criticize poor immitations.

Well, as to that, yes, I suppose that when all three of them get
together it can be quite the rousing experience!

Pizza, too, is a subject of much discourse. Outside of NYC, I'm
routinely disappointed in both-- the prior by its complete abscense
(alas, they're difficult to find now, even in Brooklyn), and the

latter
by its quality.

The "best" pizza is indeed a hotly contested issue......one that I
have some opinions on myself. However, pizza differs from chili in
that people who insist there is only one authentic pizza recipe
probably number in the hundreds or thousands as opposed to the
millions of authorities spawned by a loosely related and enormous body
of recipes that go by a name which suggests nothing more than that
they share a particular ingredient.....an ingredient, by the way, that
is missing from many of those recipes.

Wolfgang

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Wolfgang

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

[...]

I offer the same response I did to Scott. There are many foods that
inspire fierce loyalty to a particular recipe, but no others that I
can think of that prod millions of idiots to proclaim that there is
only ONE REAL recipe......and that they just happen to possess it.

Wolfgang

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Scott Seidman

"Wolfgang" wrote in news:botm2i$1iom66$1@ID-
205717.news.uni-berlin.de:

I offer the same response I did to Scott. There are many foods that
inspire fierce loyalty to a particular recipe, but no others that I
can think of that prod millions of idiots to proclaim that there is
only ONE REAL recipe......and that they just happen to possess it.

Wolfgang

Gumbo, mayhaps?? Yes, the constituency is somewhat limited, but I haven't
had the same gumbo twice this week.

Scott
Old November 12th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Conan The Librarian

Wolfgang wrote:

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message
m...

Uh ... meatloaf?

Hm......meatloaf......well, yeah, meatloaf does come in for its share
of favorite variants. However, I think it lacks the million or so one
and only authentic recipes, each one with its own loyal cadre of
adherents willing to die....or, preferably, to kill.... to protect its
sanctity, that chili enjoys.

Of course you're right. I used to live near a fellow who was a
regular participant in one of the (thousand-or-so) chili cookoffs, so I
learned the "proper" way to make it from him. It's roughly as follows:

*cubed* beef, not ground
New Mexican chiles, dried and ground
ancho chiles, dried and ground
serrano chiles, fresh, to taste
onions
oregano (Mexican, not Mediterranean)
cumin seeds, freshly ground
water (may substitute Lone Star beer for some or all)

"Real" chili *never* has tomatoes, beans, olives, mushrooms,
sprouts, spaghetti or any of that other sissy sh*t that damyankees and
them other faggots put in it.

At least that's what he told me.

I'm somewhat surprised to suddenly see these references to chocolate
in chili. I'm going to have to give this a try sometime soon.

I'm guessing that my mom got it from a Diana Kennedy cookbook, and I
expect that she stole it from the Aztecs. Well, not firsthand or
anything (she's not *quite* that old), but they used chocolate in
cooking/sauces long before the Spaniards arrived.

Chuck Vance

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:24 PM
riverman

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote in message

I think spaghetti sauce runs a close second, although the variants

all seem
to have some similarity to each other. Barbeque sauce, ribs,

homemade mac
and cheese, and how to cut a watermelon all come in the running,

too, IMHO.

--riverman

I offer the same response I did to Scott. There are many foods that
inspire fierce loyalty to a particular recipe, but no others that I
can think of that prod millions of idiots to proclaim that there is
only ONE REAL recipe......and that they just happen to possess it.

Millions of Ummerican Idjots, at least. I'm willing to bet (figuratively
speaking, of course) that there are as many idjuts (by percentage) in Italia
that claim to have the recipe for 'real spaghetti sauce' as there are
chilliots in the US. And Meximommas who claim to have the 'real salsa'
recipe. And some Italian might scratch their head in wonder at the claim
that 'millions proclaim there is one real chili recipe'...they might not
know ANYONE who claims to have a recipe.

I suppose the chili effect is in effect, in effect because a) us Ummericans
tend to be rather absolute, b) even if you **** it up, its pretty good, so
any clown can claim a screwup was intentional and given to them by their
late granddad who rode with Pancho Villa, and c) any moron can make chili,
and usually does.

--riverman
(who makes a MEAN chili, which is, of course, the one real recipe.)

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Stan Gula

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

I offer the same response I did to Scott. There are many foods that
inspire fierce loyalty to a particular recipe, but no others that I
can think of that prod millions of idiots to proclaim that there is
only ONE REAL recipe......and that they just happen to possess it.

Wolfgang

Funniest news anecdote of the week was concerning a chili cook-off
somewhere. One contestant had to drop out, so his brother took his place.
And since he didn't know how to cook, he just went around and got samples
from the 80 other entrants, put it in his pot, and proceeded to win the
contest. I think that says something about *authentic* chili. Not sure
what though.

It's like somebody arguing that toasted bread with whatever you have in the
fridge or garden isn't bruschetta because it's not all tomatoes and basil.

--Stan (I don't need no stinkin' recipe)

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Wolfgang

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
"Wolfgang" wrote in news:botm2i$1iom66$1@ID-
205717.news.uni-berlin.de:

I offer the same response I did to Scott. There are many foods

that
inspire fierce loyalty to a particular recipe, but no others that

can think of that prod millions of idiots to proclaim that there

is
only ONE REAL recipe......and that they just happen to possess it.

Wolfgang

Gumbo, mayhaps?? Yes, the constituency is somewhat limited, but I

haven't
had the same gumbo twice this week.

I'm not very familiar with gumbo recipes myself. I seem to recall a
wee controversy about it.....um....Forty and RDean, I
believe.....about a year ago, maybe? At any rate, while it may fall
into the same class as "chili" in terms of misguided loyalty, your
observation about limited constituency is THE key ingredient.

Wolfgang