Don't let yer meat loaf

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Stan Gula

Default Don't let yer meat loaf

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message

Gumbo, mayhaps??

Good example. It's all just stew. If your stew's not different every time
you cook it, you're not doing it right.

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Wolfgang

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
"Wolfgang" wrote in message

I offer the same response I did to Scott. There are many foods

that
inspire fierce loyalty to a particular recipe, but no others that

can think of that prod millions of idiots to proclaim that there

is
only ONE REAL recipe......and that they just happen to possess it.

Wolfgang

Funniest news anecdote of the week was concerning a chili cook-off
somewhere. One contestant had to drop out, so his brother took his

place.
And since he didn't know how to cook, he just went around and got

samples
from the 80 other entrants, put it in his pot, and proceeded to win

the
contest. I think that says something about *authentic* chili. Not

sure
what though.

It's like somebody arguing that toasted bread with whatever you have

in the
fridge or garden isn't bruschetta because it's not all tomatoes and

basil.

--Stan (I don't need no stinkin' recipe)

I'd have a bet a shiny new nickel that bruschetta would eventually
come up in this thread.

Wolfgang
who was prepared to make it so.......if necessary.

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:35 PM
William Claspy

On 11/12/03 10:22 AM, in article
, "Scott Seidman"
wrote:

Egg cream afficianados often vehemently criticize poor immitations.
Pizza, too, is a subject of much discourse. Outside of NYC, I'm
routinely disappointed in both-- the prior by its complete abscense
(alas, they're difficult to find now, even in Brooklyn),

Tommy still serves 'em at his place on Coventry :-)

C'mon back!

Bill

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:36 PM
slenon

but recent evidence
suggests there is a powerful carcinogen (whose name escapes me at the
moment) in stale peanut dust...

I believe you're searching for aflatoxins, which are suspect in some
hepatocarcinoma in animal models and in epidemiologic evidence in Africa and
S.E Asia.
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap41.html

Of course, peanuts are not the only source. Corn and tree nuts are also
susceptible to the contamination with Aspergillus flavus and parasiciticus,
which produce the toxins.

Between St. Vitus Dance, and hepatocarcinoma, those opportunistic fungi are
nothing to truffle with.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Wayne Harrison

BJ Conner wrote Have you noticed the "peanut
free" labels on things?

actually, i don't spend a great deal of time
parsing "lables on things". however, i will
wager a fair amount of cash on the question
of whether or not you are aware that fresh air moves without
impediment into one of your ears and out the other.

my bet is that you don't.

wayno (hellooo...is anyone home in there?)

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:46 PM
slenon

I'm somewhat surprised to suddenly see these references to chocolate
in chili. I'm going to have to give this a try sometime soon.

I'm guessing that my mom got it from a Diana Kennedy cookbook, and I
expect that she stole it from the Aztecs. Well, not firsthand or
anything (she's not *quite* that old), but they used chocolate in
cooking/sauces long before the Spaniards arrived.
Chuck Vance

I've been known to throw a little prepared Mole into chili from time to
time.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with your ingredient list and your exclusion
list.

I once took a large pot of "Texas Red" to a Quaker meeting potluck where I
was informed that all dishes were to be vegetarian. Since I was a
first-timer at this gathering, they graciously included my dish in the food
line. By the time I got through the line to get some food, there were
several large containers filled with what was called "vegetarian chili." My
container was empty. I guess somehow that meat in my dish transubstantiated
to veggies.

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:49 PM
riverman

"slenon" wrote in message
om...

I've been known to throw a little prepared Mole into chili from time to
time.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with your ingredient list and your

exclusion
list.

I once took a large pot of "Texas Red" to a Quaker meeting potluck where I
was informed that all dishes were to be vegetarian. Since I was a
first-timer at this gathering, they graciously included my dish in the

food
line. By the time I got through the line to get some food, there were
several large containers filled with what was called "vegetarian chili."

My
container was empty. I guess somehow that meat in my dish

transubstantiated
to veggies.

Jumpinup. There's a word you don't encounter every day!

--riverman

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
slenon

JR:
Aflatoxin. Affects a lot of folks in semi-arid parts of Africa and
India. Essentially no chance that it finds its way into peanut products
in the U.S. and E.U.

http://www.aflatoxin.info/introduction.asp

Good reference, thanks for posting it.

Old November 12th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Tim J.

"Stan Gula" wrote...
"Scott Seidman" wrote...

Gumbo, mayhaps??

Good example. It's all just stew. If your stew's not different every time
you cook it, you're not doing it right.

I found that's a really good way to **** off SWMBO. When I see a bunch of
goodies cooking in the pot, I say "Mmmmmm, Stew!" and she proceeds to tell me
the full proper name of the concoction in a tone of disgust. The latest is
something called Stuffed Pepper Soup (it's stew) that is as good as it gets. She
originally made it when a batch of stuffed peppers didn't turn out right and got
thrown into the pot. I've yet to be served the same stuff twice, though. I guess
I'm lucky to get served anything at all.
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 12th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Francis Reid

Rice in a meatloaf?? Do you put peanut butter in chili as well??

Well, it might do the same thing as chocolate in the chili. ...

I bet that there's another fly-by-day story behind this...

A square of unsweetened baking chocolate in tomato based sauces (i.e.
chili or spaghetti) brings the spices together in a wonderful way. You
don't taste the chocolate (its a small amount), but the difference is
very noticeable. Learned this from my Mexican baby sitter when I was
9. I taught her Englitch and she taught me how to cook.
Frank