Setting up a big box for extra flies

Old November 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

Default Setting up a big box for extra flies

A friend at work "rescued" a big (huge) box from the curbside trash
this week. He's a good guy, always finding good things curbside :-)

Anyway, this boxt looks like it was made for storing zillions of small
parts (it had a ton of tiny electrical parts still in it). He had no
use for it, and asked me if I could use something it for anything --
and instantly I thought that it might be perfect for storing the extra
flies that I tie. I"ll tie a dozen flies of each pattern when I'm on
a roll, and that means lots of extras need storing somewhere (usually
where my wife is not too pleased with). This could not only help me,
but I can see how my wife might be pleased if I could FINALLY organize
my flies and tying materials a bit better.

But I need to line the compartments with something to hold the flies
in place. I thought of buying sheets of Styrofoam or Velcro and
cutting them to size for each compartment. Or maybe cork, like from a
cork board material. Any ideas on this? What do you think would work
best?

Thanks in advance.

- Dave K.
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"mdk77" wrote in message
But I need to line the compartments with something to hold the flies
in place. I thought of buying sheets of Styrofoam or Velcro and
cutting them to size for each compartment. Or maybe cork, like from a
cork board material. Any ideas on this? What do you think would work
best?

My only caution is that whateve you use has to fit really well or be glued
down, or you'll have a few flies getting under, then a few more, until it's
lifted enough for them to start going from compartment to compartment. It's
a PITA. Use whatever you have the best skills & tools to work with.

Old November 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

On Nov 17, 7:37 am, "rb608" wrote:
"mdk77" wrote in message
But I need to line the compartments with something to hold the flies
in place. I thought of buying sheets of Styrofoam or Velcro and
cutting them to size for each compartment. Or maybe cork, like from a
cork board material. Any ideas on this? What do you think would work
best?

My only caution is that whatever you use has to fit really well or be glued
down, or you'll have a few flies getting under, then a few more, until it's
lifted enough for them to start going from compartment to compartment. It's
a PITA. Use whatever you have the best skills & tools to work with.

Ok. BTW, I wouldn't be traveling anywhere with this (so the flies
wouldn't be bounced around). I'd just keep in at home in a convenient
place, so I can restock my fly boxes as needed. Being a newbie, I do
lose more than my share of flies :-)

Thanks.

- Dave K.

Old November 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 17 Nov, 14:28, mdk77 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

- Dave K.

For storing flies it is better to simply store them loose in a box.
This prevents crushing hackles etc, by pushing them into foam and the
like.

Foam and various other systems are really transport systems, there is
no advantage in having stock flies stored in this manner.

If you do want to store flies using such a system, then you might like
to try this;

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7791/excl1ck8.jpg

This is ordinary self-adhesively-backed draught excluder which you can
get cheaply in any DIY market or similar.

If you push magnetic strip ( plastic coated, or epoxied, RUST!) up the
core of the material, it will also hold barbless flies securely. It
is of course also suitable for lining any fly-boxes. It is cheap,
effective, and easily replaceable.

TL
MC

Old November 17th, 2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

It comes in a range of colours and profiles, depending on brand, and
intended usage. The one in the picture is "Tesa-Moll" closed cell
foam draught excluder.

TL
MC
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

This is the original supplier;

http://www.tesa.com/consumer/solutions/tesamoll

TL
MC
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Incidentally, and in case it was not obvious, you can stick this stuff
to a hat crown or brim, ( it comes in dark brown, which is better for
stealth/camouflage reasons on a hat), and if you use the magnetic
strip in the core, this will also allow you to dry even barbless flies
securely. Of course, in a gale force wind, they might come out
anyway!

TL
MC
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Lysyk

mdk77 wrote:

But I need to line the compartments with something to hold the flies
in place. I thought of buying sheets of Styrofoam or Velcro and
cutting them to size for each compartment. Or maybe cork, like from a
cork board material. Any ideas on this? What do you think would work
best?

Thanks in advance.

- Dave K.

You don't really need to line the compartments. Just put the flies in
loose, that way you don;t flatten the hackles. I do this for all my dry
flies and nymphs, even with the boxes I take to the stream.

Tim Lysyk
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:44:27 GMT, Tim Lysyk
wrote:

mdk77 wrote:

But I need to line the compartments with something to hold the flies
in place. I thought of buying sheets of Styrofoam or Velcro and
cutting them to size for each compartment. Or maybe cork, like from a
cork board material. Any ideas on this? What do you think would work
best?

Thanks in advance.

- Dave K.

You don't really need to line the compartments. Just put the flies in
loose, that way you don;t flatten the hackles. I do this for all my dry
flies and nymphs, even with the boxes I take to the stream.

Tim Lysyk

I concur. I have two boxes (14 x 7 1/2 x 2 ") with 24 square
compartments. One box is for dries, the other for nymphs and
emergers. Both of them are small enough to fit into the bottom of my
wader bag and "live" in a cabin in Maine for the summer months. These
boxes have a strong lid/top that closes securely. I have accidently
dropped one of them and the lid did not come open, nor did the flies
leave their compartments. You can get these boxes for just a few
bucks at Wally World or K-mart in the sports/fishing section. They
come in smaller sizes too (11 x 7 x 1 3/4 ") and have a handle on the
end so that you can hang them next to your fly tying bench. The boxes
with the handle are made by Plano and seem to have a more secure lid
locking system.

You didn't say, but I hope the box you are thinking of using has a top
or lid. If it doesn't, I can see a catastrophic event in your near
future. d;o) I wouldn't use it without a lid that closes securely.

Old November 17th, 2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"mdk77" wrote in message
[...]

all I can say is, you are really lucky Frank Reid didn't see that first. As
is, Mr R carries what appears to be a small piece of luggage which contains
"backup" flies.
Tom