Ch,ch,ch, changes

Old January 23rd, 2016, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2012

Default Ch,ch,ch, changes

That's all well and good, but how's the fishing?
Frank

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 12:59:18 AM UTC-6, giles wrote:
Bowie is dead. Evidently I am not. **** happens. Not my fault it either case.

More to the point, roff is not dead. Some would say that's not my fault either.

O.k.

It does appear to be somewhat moribund, though.

What's a boy gonna do?

Well, let's see......hm.....

I recently took a CPR course. I passed. I am now officially certified to breath new life into a more or less dead body. Gratifying. Sort of.

The trouble is that all that chest thumping and tongueless mouth to mouth stuff does no one any good at all if it's me and the stiff till death do us part. If nobody else ever shows up and the corpus indifferentus continues to just lie there inert and silent, the fun pales after a while. If a few spectators DO show up but do nothing but whine about the litter, that doesn't really do anyone much good either.

My advice?

Do not poke the piles of poo with your fingers. Do not tease your handicapped brethren any more than is absolutely compelled by common sense and a finely honed sense of decorum. Do not insert very hot things into your bodily cavities. Hm......oh yeah, and don't believe everything you think.

Um.....on second thought, never mind that bit about hot things. Your business. I couldn't care less. On the other hand (so to speak) no one has ever gone amiss by being careful about what moves into or out of his or her mouth.

Soiled fingertips on a keyboard are, needless to say (one would hope for no apparent good reason), impossible to distinguish from common oral vomitus in a text only medium. If you MUST puke, do it elsewhere.

g.
oh, what the hell.....go ahead and poke the piles of poo.....but don't bother to bitch to me about what it smells like. no.....wait.....never mind.. tell me all about it.....in great detail.....yeah, that sounds like fun

Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 6:39:33 PM UTC-6, Frank Reid © 2012 wrote:
That's all well and good, but how's the fishing?

Waving a stick in the air with a bit of string and a hooky thingy on the end of it? That sort of thing?

Haven't done that in about five years. Opportunities for such pursuits are somewhat limited here in S.E. Curdistan and I kind of got sidetracked into chasing birds, bugs, flowers and trees for a while. And then it was geocaching for about a year.

The latter was an illuminating experience. You know those areas you've haunted all your life.....the places you've covered every inch of for years and years.....the places you know really really well? Well, it turns out you don't. Somebody else has visited spots in there, a casual twenty minute's walk from your home that you never knew existed. And it cuts both ways. You have been to places virtually in other people's back yards that they have never seen. Mental maps are filled with very large holes.

More recently, I've been pounding on steel and rocks with hammers and chisels and fullers and flatters.....I've been sanding and scraping and planing and drilling and welding and screwing and bolting and stitching and all manner of fun things at a place called Milwaukee Makerspace. Last night I got knocked on my ass by a two thousand volt blast from a microwave oven transformer while trying to make Lichtenberg figures on a piece of two by four slathered with a baking soda solution. It worked....eventually.

Me and a couple of other guys are currently in the early planning stage of a project to convert a couple hundred pounds of Lake Michigan beach sand into steel using a fifty-five gallon drum, a bunch of refractory clay, and a few pounds of thermite.

What a hoot!

g.
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:16:14 -0800 (PST), giles wrote:
[...]Me and a couple of other guys are currently in the early planning stage of a project to convert a couple hundred pounds of Lake Michigan beach sand into steel using a fifty-five gallon drum, a bunch of refractory clay, and a few pounds of thermite.

What a hoot!

g.

Wait - you can make steel out of beach sand now?
That just sounds wrong, but then again, I know nothing about Lake Michigan
"beach sand".

Carry on...

/daytripper (who doesn't quite know what to make of all this activity
here...
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 9:29:36 PM UTC-6, daytripper wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:16:14 -0800 (PST), giles wrote:
[...]Me and a couple of other guys are currently in the early planning stage of a project to convert a couple hundred pounds of Lake Michigan beach sand into steel using a fifty-five gallon drum, a bunch of refractory clay, and a few pounds of thermite.

What a hoot!

g.

Wait - you can make steel out of beach sand now?
That just sounds wrong, but then again, I know nothing about Lake Michigan
"beach sand".

Carry on...

/daytripper (who doesn't quite know what to make of all this activity
here...

Well, you can't exactly make steel out of sand. But this particular stretch of beach sand is distinctly rust colored. Rust color strongly suggests rust, which in turn.....well, you get it.

At the end of the day, what matters is that we get to play with thermite. Could anyone who passed on the opportunity possibly be considered sane? Would Franklin have passed? The Curies?

g.
who thinks not
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Nogood Boyo[_3_]

"daytripper" wrote in message

/daytripper (who doesn't quite know what to make of all this activity
here...

He just wants to be the last poster and is hiding his real motive with
drivel...

Old January 25th, 2016, 01:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:36:07 AM UTC-6, Nogood Boyo wrote:
"daytripper" wrote in message

/daytripper (who doesn't quite know what to make of all this activity
here...

He just wants to be the last poster and is hiding his real motive with
drivel...

I like shallow thinkers......they're more fun than juggling flaming kittens.. Here's a little exercise you might want to try. Take a few days to dissect your latest ejaculation, included above. Come back when you've identified the gaping hole in your logic and figured out how it encapsulates why you are forever doomed to a life of being a cheap source of mild amusement to the majority, and a mild annoyance to a few hopeless idealists.

Think about it.....what do you really have left to lose?

g.
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:26:01 -0800 (PST), giles wrote:

[...]

lol! Ok, I get it. I've watched railroad crews use thermite to weld rails and
it was exciting enough that I can see the attraction.

Have fun with that!

/daytripper (but leave the adult beverages at home
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 5:13:27 PM UTC-6, daytripper wrote:

lol! Ok, I get it. I've watched railroad crews use thermite to weld rails and
it was exciting enough that I can see the attraction.

Have fun with that!

/daytripper (but leave the adult beverages at home

Home is where the stomach is.

g.
burp

Old March 1st, 2016, 06:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

On 01/25/2016 05:57 AM, giles wrote:
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:36:07 AM UTC-6, Nogood Boyo wrote:
"daytripper" wrote in message

/daytripper (who doesn't quite know what to make of all this activity
here...

He just wants to be the last poster and is hiding his real motive with
drivel...

I like shallow thinkers......they're more fun than juggling flaming kittens. Here's a little exercise you might want to try. Take a few days to dissect your latest ejaculation, included above. Come back when you've identified the gaping hole in your logic and figured out how it encapsulates why you are forever doomed to a life of being a cheap source of mild amusement to the majority, and a mild annoyance to a few hopeless idealists.

Think about it.....what do you really have left to lose?

g.

I suspect he never found the hole. Oh, well.

Russell

Feeling nostalgic. (And silly. Didn't really want to send Wolfgang a
personal message. Call it USENET rust.)

Old March 1st, 2016, 06:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 11:02:57 PM UTC-6, Russell D. wrote:

I suspect he never found the hole. Oh, well.

Russell

Hey Russell, it really is good to hear from you.

Meanwhile, make no mistake about it.....he never did find the hole.....but maybe, this time, it found him.

Feeling nostalgic. (And silly. Didn't really want to send Wolfgang a
personal message. Call it USENET rust.)

Nostalgia is for the living. That can't be all bad. And ALL messages are personal.

g.
who knows that there can be no rust without iron.