How to put a live bait on a hook.

Old February 1st, 2004, 06:17 AM
Rae-Anne

Default How to put a live bait on a hook.

I am in australia.
I am going to try fishing in the estuary or river with live fish bait.
Possibly small mullet or what ever i get in the trap.
I have searched everywhere to find out how to put the live fish on the hook.
I can find rigs no actual ways to put the live fiah on the hook.
Suggestions please
Rae-Anne

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:08 AM
Pepperoni

"Rae-Anne" wrote in message
news
I am in australia.
I am going to try fishing in the estuary or river with live fish bait.
Possibly small mullet or what ever i get in the trap.
I have searched everywhere to find out how to put the live fish on the
hook.
I can find rigs no actual ways to put the live fiah on the hook.
Suggestions please
Rae-Anne

There are several ways to hook the bait.
1- Through the lips. usually from beneath the chin with the hook point up
toward the eyes.
2- Through the back, Be careful not to hook through the spine.
3- through the meaty area near the tail.

Old February 1st, 2004, 07:56 AM
Pepperoni

Yes, actually I try to get a bit further into the head without piercing the
brain. the roof of the mouth has a tough piece that helps hold the hook.
Try not to kill the bait, as the struggling bait attracts more bites.

Old February 1st, 2004, 01:20 PM
barbz

Pepperoni wrote:
Yes, actually I try to get a bit further into the head without piercing the
brain. the roof of the mouth has a tough piece that helps hold the hook.
Try not to kill the bait, as the struggling bait attracts more bites.

If the bait has any type of snout, like a sardine, we hook them
horizontally under the nasal bone.

barbz

Old February 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
David H. Lipman

I prefer to live-line baitfish with the hook between the Dorsal Fin and the Lateral Line.
Make sure you do not hit the Lateral Line as its located over the spine.

Dave

news | I am in australia.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:23 PM
ASIS