Bass Pro Shop

Old August 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Default Bass Pro Shop

My niece is a freshman this fall at Missouri State and we
went to Springfield to help her move in, schlepp her stuff,
get her computer set up, etc. When my sister took her shopping
Friday afternoon we took the opportunity to visit Bass Pro Shop.

IT'S HUGE ! And the aquariums are cool, especially the alligator
snapping turtle. It has acres of stuff for the serious bass
fisherman and it was worth the trip just for the gawking. The
fly fishing section was a joke. Bass Pro Shop seems to be under
the impression that fly fishing equals trout and only trout.
They didn't get the memo about fly fishing for bass and the
whole section looks like it was slapped together half-assed by
someone who didn't know what they were doing. I had to laugh out
loud at the power bait in the fly fishing section.

We suspect our niece picked Missouri State because a certain
young man goes to school there. He in turn doesn't deny that he
picked Missouri State for the nearby bass fishing and isn't the
least bit insulted when you call his alma mater Bass Fishing U.
Kids.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

Yes... it's nothing like what they have here in Gurnee Mills... I always
tell folks heading that way to stop by the original... I'm not sure
if any of their other stores are like that, but the one here certainly
isn't...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Olebiker

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
My niece is a freshman this fall at Missouri State and we
went to Springfield to help her move in, schlepp her stuff,
get her computer set up, etc. When my sister took her shopping
Friday afternoon we took the opportunity to visit Bass Pro Shop.

I was visiting my Dad in Louisville and took the opportunity to cross
the Ohio into Indiana to visit the relatively new Bass Pro Shop. I was
surprised to see a golf section. The NASCAR section wasn't too
surprising since I expect that there is a lot of cross over in the
demographics, but golf?

I don't know if it is my imagination, but it seems like they are using
the "Outdoor World" branding a lot more. I expect that they are trying
to expand their identity beyond the hunting and fishing customer.

What really amazed me was the number of young (I mean teenaged) couples
shopping there. It was like the store was a date destination.

Old August 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Scott Seidman

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:HaZFg.16558
:

Bass Pro Shop seems to be under
the impression that fly fishing equals trout and only trout.

I don't recall the fly shop at BPS in Miami being this way. Of course,
down there, they understand sal****er flyfishing.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Scott Seidman wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bass Pro Shop seems to be under
the impression that fly fishing equals trout and only trout.

I don't recall the fly shop at BPS in Miami being this way. Of course,
down there, they understand sal****er flyfishing.

There are several trout streams in the Springfield area so
it was no surprise to see the trout related stuff but I was
surprised at how little, practically nothing in fact, that
they stocked for fly fishing for bass.

--
Ken Fortenberry