When is a whip

Old March 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
caroline

Default When is a whip

a pole?

In other words what defines a whip as a whip and a pole as a pole?

Is it based on length, or line attachment...or other factors? Or a
combination of things?

TIA

Old March 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Matt \(IS Team\)

"caroline" wrote in message
a pole?

In other words what defines a whip as a whip and a pole as a pole?

Is it based on length, or line attachment...or other factors? Or a
combination of things?

AFAIK a whip is quite short (up to 6m), is telescopic (rather than put-over)
and has a very soft tip with a eye on the end that acts as a buffer rather
than being elasticated through the inside of the pole...

Poles are generally put-over joints (except the top couple of sections -the
"top kit") and are quite stiff along the entire length, the elastic running
through the centre of the pole buffers while the pole remains pretty much
straight. Poles can be bought at lengths over 16m these days.

I may be corrected, but that is my understanding...

Matt

Old March 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Ergo

"caroline" wrote in message
a pole?

In other words what defines a whip as a whip and a pole as a pole?

Is it based on length, or line attachment...or other factors? Or a
combination of things?

TIA

In short, to the last question. Yes!!

OK read on. While this is not always the case. A pole tends to be broken
down when landing a fish, until an manageable length is reached to net the
fish.

A whip tends to be fished to hand and the fish swung in. The whip or short
pole tends to be the method of choice for catching small silver fish that
are fairly close to the bank. You are likely from time to time to come
across a carp or large tench. Then you will have a fight on your hands with
a small whip. This is where a margin pole comes into play, they are much
more robust in their handling of larger fish.

Whips and Margin poles tend to be up to 9 metres long.

Poles in general tend to be from 9 - 16 metres long (there are longer
floating poles) these poles enable the angler to reach features that bit
further out, but can of course be fished at any length within that range.

HTH

Old March 8th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Steve Walker

In message , caroline
writes
a pole?

In other words what defines a whip as a whip and a pole as a pole?

Is it based on length, or line attachment...or other factors? Or a
combination of things?

IMO, a whip is a short pole, fished to-hand, which does not use elastic.
Lots of them are purpose-built telescopic poles, but when I got my 11m
for quite some time I left the spare top 3 with a flick tip and no
elastic, and I'd be quite happy to describe that as a whip.

--
Steve Walker
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM
caroline

Thanks all for your replies...

So I have a 6m telescopic....but, it uses elastic, bungs etc.

I was advised at the time of purchase to run a no.8 elastic through it,
which I have done...

At the weekend I christened it with a good fight from a rainbow trout (just
over 2½lb) on sweetcorn....sweet or what ;o)
Followed by a second trout later in the day, still on sweetcorn but giving
less of a fight...

Was great to see the elastic working really hard as it was my first direct
adventure with elastic

So is it a whip or a pole?

Old March 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
caroline

"Ergo" wrote
"caroline" wrote
[...]

Sorry, will teach me to read replies properly before posting ;o)

So, following on to the reply I've just posted, and after having re-read
your reply properly....perhaps what I have is a margin pole???

TBH it doesn't matter to me...but I was always of the school that whips had
an eye at the top for attaching line, and poles used elastic....which is why
my latest buy confuses me....but learning to use elastic is all good fun,
and education for the day when I graduate up to my first 'proper' pole ;o)

Old March 8th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Matt \(IS Team\)

"caroline" wrote in message
Thanks all for your replies...

So I have a 6m telescopic....but, it uses elastic, bungs etc.

I was advised at the time of purchase to run a no.8 elastic through it,
which I have done...

At the weekend I christened it with a good fight from a rainbow trout
(just over 2½lb) on sweetcorn....sweet or what ;o)
Followed by a second trout later in the day, still on sweetcorn but giving
less of a fight...

Was great to see the elastic working really hard as it was my first direct
adventure with elastic

So is it a whip or a pole?

I would say you have a short pole.
Whips are not designed to be elasticated, but many can be...

__
m@

Old March 8th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Ergo

"Matt (IS Team)" wrote in message

"caroline" wrote in message
Thanks all for your replies...

So I have a 6m telescopic....but, it uses elastic, bungs etc.

I was advised at the time of purchase to run a no.8 elastic through it,
which I have done...

At the weekend I christened it with a good fight from a rainbow trout
(just over 2½lb) on sweetcorn....sweet or what ;o)
Followed by a second trout later in the day, still on sweetcorn but
giving less of a fight...

Was great to see the elastic working really hard as it was my first
direct adventure with elastic

So is it a whip or a pole?

I would say you have a short pole.
Whips are not designed to be elasticated, but many can be...

That is just as succinct as I was going to be Matt

But catching trout eh!

--
Don't go chasing crocks of gold,
or you will miss seeing the rainbows

www.eric-gales.co.uk
Skype Ergo01

Old March 9th, 2005, 09:30 PM
caroline

"Ergo" wrote
"Matt (IS Team)" wrote

"caroline" wrote

Thanks all for your replies...

So I have a 6m telescopic....but, it uses elastic, bungs etc.

I was advised at the time of purchase to run a no.8 elastic through it,
which I have done...

At the weekend I christened it with a good fight from a rainbow trout
(just over 2½lb) on sweetcorn....sweet or what ;o)
Followed by a second trout later in the day, still on sweetcorn but
giving less of a fight...

Was great to see the elastic working really hard as it was my first
direct adventure with elastic

So is it a whip or a pole?

I would say you have a short pole.
Whips are not designed to be elasticated, but many can be...

That is just as succinct as I was going to be Matt

But catching trout eh!

LOL...yes, the OH was getting very miffed, because he was specifically out
for tench with his fancy kit and he kept pulling rainbows in too.
I was there with my new whip/pole and just happy to be catching fish...any
fish....regardless of what it is

But I'm reliably informed that catching trout on sweetcorn on a whip/pole is
not a common occurence...??? can anyone elaborate? The Oh just tells me its
good and I did well...but is he humouring me?
FWIW I'm not a fishing person, but the OH is a fishing freek and a fish farm
manager...so I picked up a dirt cheap whip (4m) a few years ago, to
accompany him occasionally, and this year I picked up a dirt cheap pole/whip
with a bit more length and very light to boot. This fishing lark intrigues
me, but I don't have the pasion to be out all the time. I was drawn to
poles after watching a few fishing programmes featuring them, and it was
suggested I start with a cheap whip to see if I still liked the idea....well
if I continue to fish, and spend money n bigger/better gear then I just know
I'm going to stick with the pole-idea...definitely my kind of thing, and a
lot less faffing than using reels etc... ;o)

Old March 10th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Ergo

"caroline" wrote in message
"Ergo" wrote
"Matt (IS Team)" wrote

"caroline" wrote

snip
[...]

Good for you Caroline, the only problem with a pole is high wind, but that
can be over come by burying the pole just below the surface, but you have to
be careful when you lift into a fish that you don't snap it. Don't expect
results everytime unless the water is stuffed with fish. I was out today
with my little toy, feeding constantly small amounts of hook bait. The fish
just weren't playing ball. All I had all day were 5 Bream to 3lbs and a load
of roach towards the end.

When you really get to grips with the whip, get yourself a comfortable box,
but not too large, as you will soon fill it with all sorts of stuff and will
have a hard job picking it up. Then you can progress to a longer pole, at
first don't try and fish it at full length, you have to build up muscle to
be able to hold it for say 5 hours. Each time you go try that extra length,
of course if the fish are in closer you won't need it. Once you reach 14.5
metres, think if you really need to go to 16. It is more likely than not
that you will ever need to. I have a 16 metre Garbolino Super Legion and
don't think I have fished it at full length more than once. Of course with
my pole it tends to be a lot lighter than the shorter poles, so you pays
your money and makes your choice.

P.S. Next time you get a decent size Rainbow, you don't fancy running it
down to Eastbourne do you?