Need a good book

Old August 29th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Buddy

Default Need a good book

I've spent weeks figuring out ways to take weight out of my backpack and
still have everything I need for a four-day flyfishing
trip in October (two hiking days and two fishing days from basecamp). To
celebrate shedding those pounds I'd like to add a paperback book: I'm in the
habit of reading at night, and could need to hole up in the tent if my zeal
for fishing in a constant rain wears thin. I found Colin Fletcher's "The
Thousand Mile Summer" on my bookshelf and realized I'd never read it, so
it's on my list at less than 5 ounces. Also found two unread Harry
Middleton books ("The Earth is Enough" and "The Bright Country") but frankly
was not that fond of "On the Spine of Time." Favorites from the past
include "Coming Into the Country" by John McPhee and "A Fly Fisherman's Blue
Ridge" by Christopher Camuto, and over twenty-five years ago I remember
staying up late one night on a backpacking trip reading one Robert Service
poem after another.

I'd like an engaging outdoors tale, at least plausibly non-fiction and
including hook-and-bullet press if well written, with a carefully measured
infusion of philosophy that may challenge my own. Anthologies are good.
Nothing scary: when I'm camping alone I hear enough going bump in the night
without any encouragement. Of course, it needs to be available in a
lightweight paperback. Any suggestions?

Buddy

Old August 29th, 2005, 09:46 AM
graycat

I just got through re-reading "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. It
is very well written. I am not a voracious reader, but this book really
speaks to me. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

Old August 29th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Buddy wrote:
I've spent weeks figuring out ways to take weight out of my backpack and
still have everything I need for a four-day flyfishing
trip in October (two hiking days and two fishing days from basecamp). To
celebrate shedding those pounds I'd like to add a paperback book: ...

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
GaryM

"Buddy" wrote in
:

Of course, it needs to be available in a
lightweight paperback. Any suggestions?

I am just finishing up "Young Men and Fire" by Norman MacLean. Based on
a true story of 13 Smokejumpers who perished in the Mann Gulch fire in
1949. An incredibly well written account that is hard to put down.
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Big Dale

Ken mentioned a good one. Also, just about anything by John Gierach in
paperback. One of my favorites is Trout Bum. And another that has
nothing to do with the outdoors is Semi-Tough by Dan Jenkins. You may
attract some strange critters due to all your laughing from this last
one. Both of these are available at just about any Half Price Books
store.

Big Dale

Old August 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Conan The Librarian

Buddy wrote:

I've spent weeks figuring out ways to take weight out of my backpack and
still have everything I need for a four-day flyfishing
trip in October (two hiking days and two fishing days from basecamp). To
celebrate shedding those pounds I'd like to add a paperback book:

I don't know if it's available in paperback, but I just finished
Thomas McGuane's _The Longest Silence_. It's a collection of fishing
stories from all over the world, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. His
writing style is nice; introspective without being maudlin and
descriptive without being forced.

Speaking of Middleton, :-) FWIW, I agree with you on him. I got
_On the Spine of Time_ after my trip to NC, and while it's fun to read
about places you have visited, I can barely stomach his writing style.
He seems to be intent on packing in as much overwrought imagery per
square inch of page as possible.

Robert Traver is another one who would be nice for some light
reading after a day on the water. His _Trout Magic_ and _Trout Madness_
are both nice. (They are available in paperback.)

Chuck Vance
Old August 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM
jimbo

"Buddy" wrote in message
[...]

"Travers Corners" by Scott Waldie. Stories of a small fictional Montana town
and the characters therein. The first of three books about the town, all
good reading. Moderate fly-fishing focus (main character is a fly fishing
guide). Well written - you'll be searching the map for Travers Corners and
Carrie Creek by the end of the book.

Also, "A Good Life Wasted" by Dave Ames. For 20 years or so Dave has been a
fly fishing guide in Montana and these are stories of his experiences.

Hope these help.

Jim Ray

Old August 29th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Wolfgang

"Buddy" wrote in message
...I'd like to add a paperback book: I'm in the habit of reading at night,
and could need to hole up in the tent if my zeal for fishing in a constant
rain wears thin.....

"The Immense Journey" by Loren Eisley.

As a rule, I don't re-read books. I've read this one four or five times
over the last thirty years or so. It's a treat every time....nothing better
for in tune reading in camp. There are millions of used paperback copies in
second hand bookstores. I believe it's still in print if you want a new
one.

Google can tell you a lot more about the book than I can.

Wolfgang

Old August 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Conan The Librarian

jimbo wrote:

Also, "A Good Life Wasted" by Dave Ames. For 20 years or so Dave has been a
fly fishing guide in Montana and these are stories of his experiences.

Good call, Jim. I had forgotten about that one. It reads almost
like a novel; it's hard to tell what's fact or fiction.

Chuck Vance
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Flysmallie Flysmallie is offline
Junior Member

"The River Why" by David James Duncan. It is fiction but it's a very good read.

Ronnie.

"Buddy" wrote in message
[...]

[/quote]