ROD BUILDING?

Old October 13th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Lionel F. Stevenson

Default ROD BUILDING?

Is it worth doing for one rod?

How difficult is it for a knacky but rank beginner?

Will I end up with a really good rod for a bargain price?

-- Lionel

Old October 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
Is it worth doing for one rod?

How difficult is it for a knacky but rank beginner?

Will I end up with a really good rod for a bargain price?

-- Lionel

Lionel,
Building a fishing rod isn't difficult, though you will find that your
initial skill level will show in your first project, unless you are
able to hook up with a local rod builder that can help you avoid
difficulties.

As for the bargain price, that may not be achieved since you will need
to acquire some items that usually get spread across several rods, like
bonding epoxy and thread epoxy. And if you acquire a simple wrapping
device (though you really don't need one for just one rod) that cost
will factor in. All that said, you can end up with a decent rod at a
decent price, and maybe a great rod if you invest in better components
than the major manufacturers use on their rods.

Do some exploration at Rodbuilding.org then decide whether to take on
the project. You will likely learn that building one rod is like
trying to eat just one potato chip....

Jeff

Old October 13th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Don Phillipson

"Lionel F. Stevenson" wrote in message

Is it worth doing for one rod?
How difficult is it for a knacky but rank beginner?

This is an easy task for anyone reasonably handy and
with high standards of neatness.

Will I end up with a really good rod for a bargain price?

Probably yes, with a well-chosen blank and components
to suit personal taste (e.g. extra large tiptop and stripper
guide, up- or down-securing reel seat etc.) There are
plenty of good books. (The pamphlet Orvis used to give
away with rod blanks was perfectly adequate.)

Until totally satisfied with your work, avoid such
irreversible steps as epoxy sealing of the rod windings
(not needed for freshwater use anyway.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old October 13th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Mike Connor

"Don Phillipson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Don is right. Use ordinary varnish for coating your whippings.

The following should be of use to you;
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/

TL
MC

Old October 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM
No left turn

If you can get the parts reasonably in place and in line,

A good blank
is a good blank
is a good blank,
and that rod will cast!

Doesn't matter much how it looks.
Try it. Building rods is really easy.
Buy a good blank and some good cork,
salvage a few other rods for parts,
Use some poly urethane on the wraps,
then go fish.

I firmly believe that most those guys with
the super expensive super retentive fly rods
probably just have penis size issues anyway.
Or they need to lighten up an have a cold beer.

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Tim J.

No left turn typed:
snip
I firmly believe that most those guys with
the super expensive super retentive fly rods
probably just have penis size issues anyway.
Or they need to lighten up an have a cold beer.

Or they just have some money they're willing to spend in any way they see
fit.

The above doesn't read like "those guys" are the ones with issues. Try a
cold beer and let us know how that works for you. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM
BJ Conner

Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
Is it worth doing for one rod?

How difficult is it for a knacky but rank beginner?

Will I end up with a really good rod for a bargain price?

-- Lionel

I have said it here before, here goes again.
Go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, buy an old rod and put new guides
on it. When your done give it back to them.
You can't save money on a rod if you count your time. There's now way
you can work cheaper than someone in China or Korea.
Exception is if you get a deal on a good blank. IF anf when you do
find a good blank you don't want to screw it up, thats why I'de
practice on the one(s) you fixed up for Goodwill.
It's not hard to do. Heres a link for you.
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Ken Fortenberry

BJ Conner wrote:
Lionel F. Stevenson wrote:
Will I end up with a really good rod for a bargain price?

I have said it here before, here goes again.
Go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, buy an old rod and put new guides
on it. When your done give it back to them.
You can't save money on a rod if you count your time. There's now way
you can work cheaper than someone in China or Korea. ...

Quite right. A custom built rod will always be *more* expensive
than a factory rod built on the same blank. You *cannot* save
money by building the rod yourself. What you can do is use nicer
components and find the spine and otherwise fine tune the rod
to your tastes but you don't build 'em yourself to save money.
You build 'em yourself for other reasons.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 14th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Don Phillipson

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
. ..

A custom built rod will always be *more* expensive
than a factory rod built on the same blank. You *cannot* save
money by building the rod yourself. What you can do is use nicer
components and find the spine and otherwise fine tune the rod
to your tastes but you don't build 'em yourself to save money.
You build 'em yourself for other reasons.

This used not to be true -- when firms like Orvis (US) and
Geoffrey Bucknall (England) sold complete kits for home
assembly of several of their standard rods, priced at 50
to 66 per cent of assembled rod cost. Are these kits
no longer available?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Scott Seidman

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:T0Q3f.551
:

A custom built rod will always be *more* expensive
than a factory rod built on the same blank.

Largely true, of course, but one must at some point ask if a $50 blank
wrapped in $100 worth all the nicest components is as "good" as a $700
assembled rod. It many cases I think "yes".

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply