Toughest waders?

Old May 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Toughest waders?

I'm sick of patching my waders every other trip. Up until now I've
been using the Orvis, whatever the top of the line was a few years
back. I do a lot of aggressive hiking, and falling on sharp things,
and falling into pricker bushes, and falling on my a**, and so on.
And so, my question: what are the toughest waders on the market?
Let's just pretend that money is not an object.

I'll start by suggesting... maybe the Simms G3? Looks pretty tough.

Old May 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On May 7, 1:19 pm, wrote:
I'm sick of patching my waders every other trip. Up until now I've
been using the Orvis, whatever the top of the line was a few years
back. I do a lot of aggressive hiking, and falling on sharp things,
and falling into pricker bushes, and falling on my a**, and so on.
And so, my question: what are the toughest waders on the market?
Let's just pretend that money is not an object.

I'll start by suggesting... maybe the Simms G3? Looks pretty tough.

I don't know what could protect you against falls on sharp rocks, but
you might consider wearing a pair of heavy river pants or rain pants
over your waders for when you are hiking in through the puckerbrush.

--riverman

Old May 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Adams

On May 7, 9:27 am, riverman wrote:
On May 7, 1:19 pm, wrote:

I'm sick of patching my waders every other trip. Up until now I've
been using the Orvis, whatever the top of the line was a few years
back. I do a lot of aggressive hiking, and falling on sharp things,
and falling into pricker bushes, and falling on my a**, and so on.
And so, my question: what are the toughest waders on the market?
Let's just pretend that money is not an object.

I'll start by suggesting... maybe the Simms G3? Looks pretty tough.

I don't know what could protect you against falls on sharp rocks, but
you might consider wearing a pair of heavy river pants or rain pants
over your waders for when you are hiking in through the puckerbrush.

--riverman

Second that. I have an elderly friend, who in his active fishing days,
used to go to the local Goodwill store, and pick up a pair of
oversized pants to wear over his waders. Adds a lot of weight if you
wear them while wading, but you could wear them while brush busting,
and remove them prior to entering the water. No wader will stand up to
the use you described, and all waders will leak eventually. Another
option would be to carry the waders and put them on when you reach the
water. You could buy two pair of cheap waders and patch and swap as
nedded.

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

.....lightweight flats booties with wading sandals,
and a wetsuit. It's a tad chilly when your cahonies
first hit the cold water, but still substantially warmer
than wet wading. And safer when you take an
unexpected swim. Swimming, in fact, becomes
a viable pool-to-pool navigation option,
with a wetsuit and booties.

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"George Adams" wrote in message
oups.com...
...Another
option would be to carry the waders and put them on when you reach the
water. You could buy two pair of cheap waders and patch and swap as
nedded.

Yet another option would be to dispense with the waders
altogether......immerse oneself in the moment, as it were.

Wolfgang
who WILL where waders on those rare occasions when conditions demand, but
has a fundamental problem with the notion of trying to stay dry while
playing in the water.

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Are the Guides tougher than the G3s? Or vice versa? (I think the
Guides are cheaper, no?)

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

R - Do you do that, buy cheap waders and replace often? I do that
with boots, but that's mainly because I can usually get them crazy
cheap in the off-season, as I have size 8 feet, and those tend to get
waaay discounted. Also because they seem to get utterly destroyed
every year, whereas the waders last long. But there's no wader cheap
enough that I'd feel comfortable throwing them away so often... or is
there?

And besides, the G3s are SO last week now that Simms has the
da-ta-da-daaaa...G4 Stupi...er, SuperWader...

If money is no object, I'd suggest that you simply get a new pair of G4s
each trip...heck, they are only about $700USD...if, OTOH, you have some
common sense, buy as inexpensive a wader as you can and patch them,
expecting that you'll be replacing frequently.

HTH,