5 inches of rain in Seattle

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:20 PM
rw

Default 5 inches of rain in Seattle

The previous record was 1 inch.

Did you go fishing today, Chas? :-)

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM
David Snedeker

rw wrote in message .. .
The previous record was 1 inch.

Did you go fishing today, Chas? :-)

Glug, glug,glug,glug.

Many porpoising Dogs at Allyn on the Hood Canal, not a hookup, flyguy or
gearfolk. Reasonable trout fishing in both upper and lower Yakima canyon,
some steelies?/salmon in bigger upper pools, below Cle Elm. Silvers off
Point-no-point . . . but slow. With rains everything will start to move (. .
.. including the foundations of steamside houses!).

Dave
Bushwhacked in Seattle

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:09 AM
Darin Minor

rw wrote:

The previous record was 1 inch.

Did you go fishing today, Chas? :-)

Don't go spreading it arond that we don't normally get as much rain as
everyone thinks we do G.
We didn't just break the one day record but we got more rain yeterday
than the month long record as well.

Darin

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:04 AM
RalphH

see

http://www.theprogress.com/

for some info on the Vancouver BC area.

. ..

Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:20 AM
Chas Wade

rw wrote:
The previous record was 1 inch.

Actually it was 3.4 inches. We're talking about SeaTac, the official
Seattle measuring location. One spot on Hood Canal had 8 inches.

Did you go fishing today, Chas? :-)

Is the bear Catholic?

The boys and I went back up to the Cascade River. The day before it
was wonderful. Andy and I each caught 15-20 Silvers, topping out at 36
inches, about 16 pounds. Since you can only keep hatchery fish up
there, we only managed to bring home 6, 4 for Andy, 2 for me. Andy
also caught 9 Dollies, the biggest 22 inches. Single egg flies were
the trick.

Since the hydrograph looked the same as the day before at 8AM, we
decided to try it. By the time we got to the Cascade the water had
risen about 5 feet on the Skagit and 8 feet on the Cascade. We didn't
fish, but we did oggle the trees flowing down the river.

I took the day off today, but Wednesday I'm going down to the Cowlitz.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:54 AM
asadi

The two highest water levels I have seen in the local waters occurred this
year. The lowest the water got was five times the normal summer flow based
on ninety years of record keeping.

If I have another summer like this one, I'm running away. Far, far away, to
a land that time forgot...

john

. ..

Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:35 PM
rw

Chas Wade wrote:

I took the day off today, but Wednesday I'm going down to the Cowlitz.

At this very moment, CNN is showing the flooding at Mt. Vernon "on the
banks of the Skagit River." It looked bad, but not as bad as they feared
it would be.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:05 PM
David Snedeker

BC got it even worse. 2 feet in 24 hours reported near Squamish.

Old October 24th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Chas Wade

rw wrote:
Chas Wade wrote:

I took the day off today, but Wednesday I'm going down to the
Cowlitz.

At this very moment, CNN is showing the flooding at Mt. Vernon "on the
banks of the Skagit River." It looked bad, but not as bad as they
feared
it would be.

The locals did a heroic job of sandbagging and managed to save the toun
from flooding. It was 4 feet above flood stage, they put up 6 feet of
sandbags over quite a long run, and it worked. Hamilton, about halfway
up to where we fished, had 14 feet above flood stage, and the town was
litterally under water. The only consolation is that it's a very small
town, but it is ruined.

I went back up to the Cascade river today, that's the river right
across the Skagit from where Glen and I dropped you and Warren off.
The water was down on the Skagit, buit still over your heads where you
walked that day. The Cascade was only a foot higher than ideal, and
the visibility was about 6 inches. I caught 4 salmon and one dolly,
kept 2 of the silvers. I'm amazed that two single egg flies under a
float outfished 3 guys who were using real egg clusters.

I'll be back up there tomorrow with Andy.