Changing line on a reel

Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
rjre

Default Changing line on a reel

How frequently should the line on a reel be changed?

For example I have 5lb line that is 4years old and has not been used
in those four years...

thanks.

richard

Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article om, rjre
wrote:
How frequently should the line on a reel be changed?

For example I have 5lb line that is 4years old and has not been used
in those four years...

Test it. Wind (don't tie unless you are an expert) the line several times
around a smooth, immovable object and wind it several times around the hook
of a spring balance. Now pull for a break.

If it's still up to strength, carry on using it.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Good advice and an old memory came to mind. I think I was always advised to
keep my reels in the dark as light degraded the line faster than anything.
Many years ago I had cause to test some line and tied it to a washing line
then tied a basket to the lower end in which I gradually put things of known
weight from the larder, it worked fine except I had to replace one of the
bags of sugar I "borrowed" from my mother as the damn thing split and fed
the ants for weeks.

As a rule I change my line at the start of each summer, just a habit I got
from the old days.

--
Gandalf

Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
wrote:

In article om, rjre
wrote:
How frequently should the line on a reel be changed?

For example I have 5lb line that is 4years old and has not been used
in those four years...

weight from the larder, it worked fine except I had to replace one of the
bags of sugar I "borrowed" from my mother as the damn thing split and fed
the ants for weeks.

Some mothers do 'ave 'em...

As a rule I change my line at the start of each summer, just a habit I got
from the old days.

I tend to load a whole spool and use it until it gets iffy - then cut off
and burn a dozen yards or so and carry on using and trimming until it's all
gone. A refill seems to last several years.

A 5lb line might be used for winter coarse, summer sea and even a little
game fishing around the year - abrasion is the usual cause of weakening.

Cheerio,

Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Gandalf
wrote:

In article om, rjre
wrote:
How frequently should the line on a reel be changed?

For example I have 5lb line that is 4years old and has not been used
in those four years...

weight from the larder, it worked fine except I had to replace one of the
bags of sugar I "borrowed" from my mother as the damn thing split and fed
the ants for weeks.

Some mothers do 'ave 'em...

And I am the best of 6, says a lot for the rest.VBG

--
Gandalf

Old October 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
matthew walker

I tend to see in books that they advise to change line every year. I think
with the quality of line produced today it can last much longer. I tend to
replace if I feel the line is an issue, or as mention previouslt to cut off
a 10-20 meter lenght and use line which has not taken so much stick.

just my two pence worth
cheers
Matt
ps.com...

Old October 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

im still using some 6lb on a reel from 7 years or so ago, it managed a
16lb'er last sunday morning without problem. so i guess its down to how the
line feels to the pull.

"matthew walker" wrote in message
I tend to see in books that they advise to change line every year. I think
with the quality of line produced today it can last much longer. I tend
replace if I feel the line is an issue, or as mention previouslt to cut
off
a 10-20 meter lenght and use line which has not taken so much stick.

just my two pence worth
cheers
Matt
ps.com...