Fly Fishing History 1A

Old November 12th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Bill Kiene

Default Fly Fishing History 1A

Hi All,

About 30 years ago they started having trophy trout fisheries in CA and in
other places in the US.

People had to pinch down the barbs on their flies to fish these barbless
catch and release fisheries.

Most all quality commercially tied flies where tied on Mustad hooks at this
time.

When the fly fishers crushed the barbs on the Mustad hooks, many of the
entire points fell off.

The fly fishers brought them back to the location where they purchased them
and complained.

Umpqua Feather Merchants, being the largest commercial supplier at the time,
addressed the problem by importing high quality Japanese hooks that had very
small barbs and would hold up after having the barbs pinched down.

After Umpqua started supplying their flies on Japanese (TMC) hooks, all the
shops started asking for them for the customers that tied their own flies.

These are serious facts and the fact that most here don't know this doesn't
surprise. You had to be working in a large fly shop or sporting goods store
that sold a lot of flies at that time in fly fishing history.

For every dumb ego driven misinformed comment I get about my posts, I get
several lovely emails thanking me for taking the time post accurate
information.

If there was not so many lovely people lurking here, I would not bother.

Thanks

Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Old November 12th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Tim J.

"Bill Kiene" wrote...
snip
For every dumb ego driven misinformed comment I get about my posts, I get
several lovely emails thanking me for taking the time post accurate
information.

If there was not so many lovely people lurking here, I would not bother.

Trolling, Bill?
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 12th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Bill Kiene" wrote

(utterly pedestrian tale snipped)

These are serious facts and the fact that most here don't know this doesn't
surprise. You had to be working in a large fly shop or sporting goods

store
that sold a lot of flies at that time in fly fishing history.

For every dumb ego driven misinformed comment I get about my posts, I get
several lovely emails thanking me for taking the time post accurate
information.

If there was not so many lovely people lurking here, I would not bother.

wooo-hooo! mr. rogers with an attitude.

wayno (and, in the same vein: see jane run. see dick run. see them too
lovely kids run together. run, dick and jane.)

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:11 PM
bruiser

OK, I'll bite.

For a guy who's been all over the world fishing and owns a great flyshop,
you're a little thin skinned. Most of us don't go fishing with the Sage
guys or former Sage guys like Lefty K and maybe that makes us a little
sensitive to massive name dropping.

It's the internet, get over it.

Have a great day.

bruce h

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Ernie

Interesting Bill. I have had that happen. I started bending the tip of the
barb down instead of trying to smash the barb flat. Worked fine for me.
Ernie

Old November 12th, 2003, 10:33 PM
George Adams

From: "Bill Kiene"

When the fly fishers crushed the barbs on the Mustad hooks, many of the
entire points fell off.

Bill, I started tying in 1954. At that time, Mustad was about the only game in
town that a 13 year old could afford, so I tied everything on Mustad hooks.
Over the years, I have tried many of the Japanese brands, but always seem to
drift back to Mustad. In the early seventies, I began pinching the barbs down
on my hooks, both the Mustads and the Japanese brands. A few, (very few), hooks
would break at the barb, usually during the crimping process, sometimes in the
vise. I never noticed a more frequent occurrence of this breakage in Mustads as
compared to the other brands.

I still use Mustads today, and with the exception of the 94833 3x fine wire
hooks, I have had no problem with them, and consider them, by far, to be the
most bang for the buck. As someone previously stated, the larger size hooks
should be hit with a few strokes of a diamond file before use, but I don't
consider that a big deal. I feel that the success of the Japanese hooks is
largely due to sharp marketing, and the lure of something new, rather than any
real advantages. If someone claimed they were catching more fish with a certain
brand of hook, I would refer him to the Rogue Rod folks.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
Bill Kiene

I'd e-mail ya, but I doubt that you'd report my e-mail as a positive; so,
here goes.

Did you archive GG posts? If so, I'd point out that his style wasn't all
that well received back when.

HTH

Op --If there weren't so many loverly people postin', I'd still bother.--

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Willi

George Adams wrote:

If someone claimed they were catching more fish with a certain
brand of hook, I would refer him to the Rogue Rod folks.

Well, maybe I should be talking to the Rogue folks but I think with
flies size 20 and under, one will catch more fish using one of the
Japanese hooks than with the "traditional" Mustads.

PS You can get "no Name" brands of Japanese hooks for less than Mustads.

Willi

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:27 AM
Wolfgang

"Guyz-N-Flyz" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
Bill Kiene

I'd e-mail ya, but I doubt that you'd report my e-mail as a positive; so,
here goes.

Did you archive GG posts? If so, I'd point out that his style wasn't all
that well received back when.

HTH

Op --If there weren't so many loverly people postin', I'd still bother.--

An observation no less astute for the likelihood that it is shared.

Wolfgang
who should, perhaps, be bracing for another decent into the maelstrom?

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
An observation no less astute for the likelihood that it is shared.

Wolfgang
who should, perhaps, be bracing for another decent into the maelstrom?

Brace on my brotha.

Op --if the trout don't notice it's a Mustad, I sure as hell ain't gonna
complain!--