OT FYI

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default OT FYI

If you run a cell phone through the clothes washer in the pocket of a pair
of pants

it will

NOT

work better afterwards

( or at all )

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"Larry L" wrote in message
If you run a cell phone through the clothes washer in the pocket of a pair
of pants

it will

NOT

work better afterwards

( or at all )

Maybe it's your detergent. Have you tried all new SCAM® with screen
whiteners, voice mail brighteners, automatic color correction, and text
contrast enhancers? I just LOVE the way it gets out all those stubborn
cookie crumbs between the keys!

Wolfgang
this is not a paid endorsement.

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Larry L wrote:
If you run a cell phone through the clothes washer in the pocket of a pair
of pants

it will

NOT

work better afterwards

( or at all )

I ran an iPod Nano through the washer and it worked just fine after
drying out for a couple of weeks.

Old December 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 18, 11:27 am, "Larry L" wrote:
If you run a cell phone through the clothes washer in the pocket of a pair
of pants it will NOT work better afterwards ( or at all )

However, I can attest that if your offspring leaves his $300 iPod in
his pants through a similar cycle; at least functional resurrection
may be possible.

Joe F.
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rw" wrote

I ran an iPod Nano through the washer and it worked just fine after drying
out for a couple of weeks.

I maintain a mostly pre-high-tech life style, but I recently saw a USB
turntable in Costco and bought it to record my old collection of jazz LPs
onto the computer. It came with iTunes software, which is way cool, and
I've loudly hinted to Santa that an iPod and speaker dock would be a very
nifty way to take music with me in my travel trailer.

When Santa found out about the cell phone's sad passing, (s)he mumbled
something about "iPods probably need to be sorted out before washing too."
This worried me because it made me think that Santa might feel I'm not quite
old enough for an iPod yet ( you'll put your eye out? )

I'll let the phone dry but the one that was in my pocket this summer when I
took a hat floating, wader filling, full-Reid still is lifeless months
later.

Old December 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Dec 18, 8:27 am, "Larry L" wrote:
If you run a cell phone through the clothes washer in the pocket of a pair
of pants

it will

NOT

work better afterwards

( or at all )

I was about to recycle some Starrbucks when the Blackberry came loose
from the clip and when "splash". This was about 3 seconds before I
was going to change the ion concentration of the water in the bowl.
I fished it out, shook the water out of it and later blew a can of
compressed air through it. The screen got cloudy and finally returned
to normal. The battery doesn't seem to hold charge as well but it
works.
Which is too bad, I think the Blackberry is one of the most useless
POSs yet made. If it were mine I would have given it the full sodium
ion test.
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

rb608 wrote:
On Dec 18, 11:27 am, "Larry L" wrote:

If you run a cell phone through the clothes washer in the pocket of a pair
of pants it will NOT work better afterwards ( or at all )

However, I can attest that if your offspring leaves his $300 iPod in
his pants through a similar cycle; at least functional resurrection
may be possible.

Joe F.

A Nano? Flash memory is a lot tougher than a hard drive.

My girlfriend lost her cell phone -- left it out in the rain for a
couple of storms. After she bought another one, my neighbor found it
lying on the ground. After drying out for a week or two it worked fine,
although the display is still a little fogged up.

The most important thing is that, after you find your soaked, ****ed up
device, DON'T power it on! Throw it in your dresser drawer and forget
about it for quite some time.

Old December 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rw" wrote

--

My phone was on in the pocket when it went for a swim ... both phones I've
ruined this year, actually

Old December 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Dec 18, 10:06 am, rw wrote:

The most important thing is that, after you find your soaked [...]
device, DON'T power it on! Throw it in your dresser drawer and forget
about it for quite some time.

True advice; I've soaked a couple devices, and all have worked later.
The latest was a GPS I "left" overnight at 9500' 6 miles back a trail
this summer (a mule story). Rained that night, but I found it the next
day and tried it a couple of weeks later at home. Good as new (so
far).

Jon.
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message
I maintain a mostly pre-high-tech life style, but I recently saw a USB
turntable in Costco and bought it to record my old collection of jazz LPs
onto the computer. It came with iTunes software, which is way cool, and
I've loudly hinted to Santa that an iPod and speaker dock would be a very
nifty way to take music with me in my travel trailer.

When Santa found out about the cell phone's sad passing, (s)he mumbled
something about "iPods probably need to be sorted out before washing too."
This worried me because it made me think that Santa might feel I'm not
quite old enough for an iPod yet ( you'll put your eye out? )

I'll let the phone dry but the one that was in my pocket this summer when
I took a hat floating, wader filling, full-Reid still is lifeless months
later.

For whatever reason cell phones don't do so well with a full dunking. We
have had two here at work take swims in the toilet. Both were power on at
the time of the swim, which probably had something to do with the
destruction. Powered off, they might have a chance of revival after thorough
drying?
Pagers on the other hand seem to do fine with a dunking, mine has been in
the lake at least twice and comes back fine after being completely dried
out.

One of my hats being the administrator of the cell phones, I told both
people who's phones had been in the toilet to go ahead and dispose of them
however they wanted. I didn't really care to handle them...

JT