OT Cigars

Old October 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default OT Cigars

The last time the humidor starting looking empty I logged
on to buy my usual cigars from the usual source. I enjoy
a Cohiba Secreto in the evenings after dinner. Sweet holy
moley in a rickshaw, Batman !! I got a serious dose of
sticker shock, we're talking sticker shock out the ying yang.
Well, actually it's exchange rate shock but whatever, I am
not paying that much for cigars. No friggin' way.

So I bought a few sticks from my local tobacconist to see
if I could find a reasonably palatable alternative. And I
did. Finally.

The La Riqueza No. 5 from Pete Johnson's Tatuaje is a
Petit Corona like the Cohiba Secreto and it's a decent enough
half hour smoke that I can buy without taking out a second
mortgage. The Secreto has a Maduro wrapper and the binder &
filler are Cuban while the No. 5 is Nicaraguan wrapped in
Connecticut Broadleaf but they're amazingly similar and until
the dollar climbs out of the toilet I'll be smoking the No. 5s.

If you like to put a small stick in your vest for a quick
half hour smoke astream you could do worse than the La Riqueza
No. 5.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:25:18 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

[...]

Look for the Cohiba Dominican Coronas if you haven't tried them. Not
the world's best cigar or anything like that, but a decent smoke for
about $6USD. Also, if you can find them (I have no idea what they go
for now if you find them), the CAO Anniversary is pretty good Maduro
Corona, as the CAO Corona for about $5USD.

TC,
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

I like the La Riqueza, as well. Other good smokes in that range:
El Rey Del Mundo
Hoyo de Monterey Excaliber or Dark Sumatra
La Gloria Cubana

Live a little, Ken, you cheap bastid. Try a San Cristobal or a Diamond Crown
Maximus.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 18th, 2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

i think it is http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx
that that has a huge selection and fast shipping on cigars...
i enjoy a nice one every once and a while...

-------------------------http://css.sbcma.com/timj- Hide quoted text -

Old October 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:28:14 -0400, "Tim J."
wrote:

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

I've a supply of Fundadores - yes, they are what you might guess - let's
just say they are, um, not of a current production...and IIRC, Ken had
either one of those or maybe a vintage RyJ when last we were together,
so I've no doubt that Ken has lived, see-gar-wise...

HTH,
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
i think it is http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx
that that has a huge selection and fast shipping on cigars...
i enjoy a nice one every once and a while...

Thompson is AWFUL! Not only endless spam, but phone-spam as well. I wouldn't
buy anything from them on a dare.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
I remember sitting on a balcony in the French Quarter being
about halfway through a magnificent Trinidad Fundadores when
my glass became empty. I glanced at my dear wife who gave me
the unmistakable "Don't you dare get another drink because it's
after midnight and we're going to overstay our welcome" look.

So I said to Rick, "There's something wrong with this glass."
Rick awoke from his Cigar/Sazerac reverie and asked with concerned
sincerity, "What ?"

I replied, "It leaks, look it's empty already."

And I remember just exactly what he said as he got up to fix
me another drink. I remember because it was but two words.

"**** you" said the roffian.

such debauchery, you should be ashamed of yourself as a right-thinking
progressive.
Tom
p.s. Lisa and I depart for NO in a few hours...g

Old October 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:36:16 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

"Tim J." wrote:
[...]

And I meant it.

Seriously, though, I, um, well, let's just say that I am rarely
concerned with exchange rate when I acquire cigars (for example, the
aforementioned Fundadores were a legit, with-a-letter gift via Costa
Rica), so I hadn't thought about it affecting certain, um, bandings. I'd
say look more toward south of the border as opposed to north, but ???
And in a similar way, there are some fan-dam-tastic cigars from the
Americas, completely legal in the US, and fairly inexpensive.

TC,

TC,