Opinions sought from NYC-area fly fishermen

Old January 13th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Tim G

Default Opinions sought from NYC-area fly fishermen

Hi there,

I'm a new, but well-hooked, fly fisherman. I spent the past year
living on the Spokane River in WA, and was able to fish every single
night. Now that I'm back in NYC, I'm going to miss it. Really miss
it. In fact I've already started thinking about fly fishing in
Central Park come spring. Which I'm pretty sure is going to get me
arrested. So...

I've started to look into buying a little fishing cabin - a bit of
land, small cabin, on a good fly fishing river, not too far from NYC.
My girlfriend happens to be buying a larger home up in the Sullivan
County region, and I went up with her last weekend to have a look
around. Such an amazing place, so many rivers and streams -
including the famous Beaverkill. It got me very excited about my
plan, but at the same time I'm a bit wary. I'm wondering if I'm being
foolish trying to buy in an area that's become so popular. Not from a
financial standpoint, of course, but from a fishing one.

So my question to any NY anglers: Will I get up to my newly purchased
little bit of heaven, only to find myself sandwiched in next to a
thousand other fly fishermen? Or will I learn of all the other little
streams where the fishing might be good, away from the crowds? What
other regions, away from Sullivan County, should I be considering
(within ~ a 2 hour drive of NYC)? I'm not asking anyone to divulge
their secret fishing holes. But any general suggestions as to
alternate regions, particular rivers fairly close to NYC, or any
opinions on whether or not Sullivan County is still a good spot for
the burgeoning fly fisherman, would be be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.

- Tim
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Tim G wrote:

I'm a new, but well-hooked, fly fisherman. I spent the past year
living on the Spokane River in WA, and was able to fish every single
night. Now that I'm back in NYC, I'm going to miss it. Really miss
it. In fact I've already started thinking about fly fishing in
Central Park come spring. Which I'm pretty sure is going to get me
arrested. So...

I've always been a firm believer in fishing local. You may be able to fly
fish in Prospect Park but I am not sure. There are plenty of ponds and
lakes in the Croton watershed that should hold some fish as well as the
small streams which connect them. If I were back in NYC and had some
money to spend on a cabin, I'd buy a boat instead and chase stripers and
blues out in the salt. But that's just me. Plenty of guys don;t even
consider throwing a fly in sal****er as a form of flyfishing at all.
Later.

Mu
Thousand Oaks, CA
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Allen S

(Tim G) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Tim, its the east. You are going find other people around. Especially
being 2 hours away from NYC (8 million people!). I usually go up to
the Farmington or Housatonic. The Farmington on opening day is a mob
scene. The Housatonic can sometimes be the same. Both are in CT so a
fishing shack could be a bit more expensive comapared to NY State.
They are both around 100 miles (the Farmington is a little more) but
those first 15 miles getting out of the city and turn a trip for the
worst.

Go to Connequot if you like catching big fish with every cast no
matter what type of fly you have on. Fun but easy.
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Tim G

Go to Connequot if you like catching big fish with every cast no
matter what type of fly you have on. Fun but easy.

That sounds pretty good, actually. (Hey, I'm still relatively new to
this.) I'll check it out.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Thoughts about that Sullivan
County area I mentioned?

Thanks all, Tim
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Tim G

If I were back in NYC and had some
money to spend on a cabin, I'd buy a boat instead and chase stripers and
blues out in the salt. But that's just me.

Alas, I was cursed with seasickness. It's one of the reasons fly
fishing has become such a huge passion for me so quickly - after 33
miserable years of deep sea trips on my Dad's boat, it is nothing
short of a miracle to me to find out just how pleasant fishing can be
when you don't spend the majority of your time vomiting.
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Kurt E. Huhner

Don't forget the Esopus, Neversink, Rondout creek and the Schoharie as they
get less crowded then the "name" rivers. There's also two other rivers on
Long Island other than the Connetquot (Nissequogue and I think the other is
Peconic?). Dont forget the Adirondacks as well in upstate NY; great pocket
water!

and look up the NYC_Trout_Bums group. We are mostly locals who go up in the
area frequently during the season, we have fly swaps, etc.

Kurt

om...

Old January 14th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Tim G wrote:

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Any interest in john-boating or fishing from a pram in the ponds and lakes
of the Croton watershed or northern New Jersey? The streams which connect
the Croton reservoirs have trout in them. There's a little booklet
printed by one of the TU chapters up there which talks about some of the
streams. You also might want to check out Good Fishing in the Catskills
by Jim Caposella.

Mu
Old January 14th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Bill McDonald

Tim, I get to fish the catskill - sullivan co area a couple of times
per year. I don't remember ever feeling crowded out of a stream.
There is just too damn much water. I fish the beaverkill, plus all of
the "name" streams plus just about every valley has a jewel of a trout
stream. Grab your little slice of heaven and remember to send me an
invite once ya do! Bill now in Va.
Old January 15th, 2004, 03:57 AM
-=SAGE=-

Default Before purchasing in the Catskills,...

I received this and hope you all read and act on it.

Dear Friends of the Catskills,

I am emailing you to ask you attend the upcoming PUBLIC HEARINGS on
the Belleayre Resort (on Jan 14 and 15- info below) which is the
public's last and only chance to publicly voice their opposition to
this region-altering development.........AND TO ASK YOU TO SIGN OUR
PETITION opposing this mega-resort proposed for almost 2000 acres of
mountaintop and mountainside land in the Catskills. We need to show
the decision-makers that the majority of the people do not want this
type of development in the magnificent Catskill Park. Go to
www.friendsofcatskillpark.org and click on the petition. You can print
out hard copies and have them signed if needed (The Friends of
Catskill Park website can also connect you with more information about
the proposed mega-development.)

Dennis.

On 12 Jan 2004 15:10:40 -0800, (Tim G) wrote:

[...]

http://www.njflyfishing.com
0 Limit,Catch -n- Release