Who is Fishing? Lets see some TRs, plans, Gear comments.

Old November 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default Who is Fishing? Lets see some TRs, plans, Gear comments.

Yeah, How bout it? The election is over, its only the piper who's left
to pay. Pepsi and hot dogs all round, its America and I am Gumby
dambit!!!

Old November 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-17 14:27:53 -0500, DaveS said:

Yeah, How bout it? The election is over, its only the piper who's left
to pay. Pepsi and hot dogs all round, its America and I am Gumby
dambit!!!

Dave

I wanna go flyfishing in Copenhagen, but I don't know *where* - east,
west (no, not west), north, south? Where?

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2010-11-17 14:27:53 -0500, DaveS said:

Yeah, How bout it? The election is over, its only the piper who's left
to pay. Pepsi and hot dogs all round, its America and I am Gumby
dambit!!!

Dave

I wanna go flyfishing in Copenhagen, but I don't know *where* - east,
west (no, not west), north, south? *Where?

The good news is that you can fish damned near ANYWHERE in Copenhagen!

Meanwhile, no fishing here. Trout season closed a month and a half
ago on most streams here in Curdistan. Yeah, there ARE some extended
season streams (and even some year round), but who has time?

The better news is that I have friends here who derive the greater
part of their annual income from market gardening. They know, as does
anyone in the business with a modicum of sense, that growing a LOT
more than you can sell of just about anything is way better than not
having whatever it is the customers want. Consequently, I am loaded
down with more fresh veggies than I can eat and/or preserve by
freezing and canning.

La vita è bella

giles
who is just now jamming his face with an assortment of organically
grown lettuces and sundry other green things.
Old November 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

DaveS wrote:
Yeah, How bout it? The election is over, its only the piper who's left
to pay. Pepsi and hot dogs all round, its America and I am Gumby
dambit!!!

Trout season closes on September 30 in Minnesota/Wisconsin and doesn't
open up again until Minnesota early trout season on New Years Day.

I'm hunting pheasant and quail these days while keeping an eye on the
fishing reports from the Michigan steelhead streams. Lots of rotting
salmon in the water right now, if they get a good rain or two the
steelhead should be followin' in numbers any time now. I think this
year I'll stay in Ludington. I have been staying in Baldwin on the
Pere Marquette but you can't get a decent meal in Baldwin unless you
cook it yourself and the only places to get bad food are all closed
by 7:00. Baldwin is definitely a backwater.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 18, 8:16*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
DaveS wrote:
[...]

Those carcusses if carried far upstream can really improve the year
round invertibrate populations. Otherwise the whole scene of struggle,
life. death, fertility, and renewal is incredibly both poinent and
steadying. A gift of the salmon people to us. A little Sweet grass
smoke helps however.;+))

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

DaveS wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
DaveS wrote:
[...]

Last year my dog rolled around in the salmon people's gift to us.
Good lord what a stink that was. But yeah, I can dig the poignant
**** too. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"DaveS" wrote in message
Yeah, How bout it? The election is over, its only the piper who's left
to pay. Pepsi and hot dogs all round, its America and I am Gumby
dambit!!!

Dave

Fished the Clearwater near Orofino last Fri, Sat and Sun. Zeroed the first
day, 9 lber the second and a 12 lber the third. Pretty slow fishing and the
weather was pretty crummy, cold, rainy and windy (fairly normal for this
time of year) for the most part. Most everyone I spoke with was having the
same success, saying the fishing was slow. Saturday was the last day of the
derby, you could walk between boats. 19.1 lbs. was the big fish of the
derby.

Woke to about an inch of snow this morning and snowing hard. It's suppose to
be single digit temps by the first of the week. Oh boy, I can hardly wait.

Next trip won't be till mid January on the Green River to fight off cabin
fever.

JT

Old November 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Nov 17, 2:27*pm, DaveS wrote:
Yeah, How bout it? The election is over, its only the piper who's left
to pay. Pepsi and hot dogs all round, its America and I am Gumby
dambit!!!

Dave

Been fishing the Swift here in MA, average 3 times a week. October -
December is midge and BWO time here. Sizes #24 to #30. Fishing through
the first week of November was terrific. Lots of bugs and rising fish
from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Was averaging 10 - 12 fish per day.....mixed
bag of brookies, browns, and bows. To bring that many to hand with the
tiny flies requires a lot of takes, so action was good. It is slowing
down, however. Hatches are lighter, starting later and ending earlier.
Windy days like today, are really tough. Landed 4, only had a dozen or
so takes.
Most consistent fly has been the Griffith's Gnat in #26-#28. Also
producing were #24 - #28 black pupae, #28 -#30 Grey midge adults, and
#26 CDC BWO duns. I'll keep fishing until we get Ice and snow on the
ground, or until the daytime air temps are below 40.

Have been using the KPOS 3 wt, with mostly 7X tippet, although the
past couple of days, I've gone to 8X on occasion.
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 18, 11:54*am, "JT" wrote:
"DaveS" wrote in message

[...]

From my perspective 2 steelhead in 3 days is pretty successful
congratulations. That 12 pounder had to be fun. What did you catch
them on? I am sorely tempted to have a go at a gear set up if for no
other reason than the cold. What is the mix of fly/gear on the
Clearwater?

The Green? In Winter? Do you mean the Green out of Wyoming down into
Utah, Dutch John, Deer Park etc.etc? Keep going on that run and you
run into Desplation Canyon, area 51 or some such. ;+)) Its been 45
years or so since we went down from the Flaming Gorge dam in a 2 man,
to Deer Park. Young, preg and crazy.

Dave
"Toto, we are not in New Jersey any more."

#26 CDC BWO duns. I'll keep fishing until we get Ice and snow on the
ground, or until the daytime air temps are below 40.

Have been using the KPOS 3 wt, with mostly 7X tippet, although the
past couple of days, I've gone to 8X on occasion.

Jeebus man, those are some tiny flies. It did not even occur to me
that there are 26, 28 and #30 hooks. Seriously. Occasionally I
consider going to maybe a #20 and I have some #22s, but except for one
Spring creek out in the sagebrush (Rockyford) I don't use them
often . . . enough. Maybe on the Yakima in December. Thanks for the
inspiration.