rw ...???

Old December 31st, 2010, 01:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default rw ...???

Somewhere recently I think you said you mix Frogs Fanny with dubbing
before using that dubbing to produce a fly ...true?

If so, how do you actually do this mixing ?

and, how long does the effect last on these nymphs with Fannied Fur
bodies?
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Dec 30, 6:06*pm, Larry L wrote:
Somewhere recently I think you said you mix Frogs Fanny *with dubbing
before using that dubbing to produce a fly ...true?

If so, how do you actually do this mixing ?

and, how long does the effect last on these nymphs with Fannied Fur
bodies?

Nothing fancy -- I just put the dubbing and the "Frog's Fanny" in a
bowl and mix it up with my fingers. There's maybe a better way. A
blender, maybe? I usually use synthetic hare's ear dubbing.

The idea behind this is two fold. First, the Frog's Fanny
(theoretically) creates air bubbles, which some people think are
attractive to trout. Second, the air bubbles (theoretically) cause the
fly to be buoyant and to ride above the weight, reducing hang ups.

Whether all this works is an open question, and I have no idea how
long the effect lasts. I've had good success with it, but that's just
anecdotal. I tested this to see if there really were air bubbles in
the dubbing. There were.

A note about Frog's Fanny: This has been covered in ROFF before, but
it's worth repeating. Frog's Fanny is just hydrophobic Cab-O-Sil,
which is a fumed silica used to thicken resins and other substances.
It's available very cheaply. I wrote an email to the manufacturer and
they sent me a lifetime supply for free. (They were amused that it's
used for fly fishing.) I use a LOT of it to dry flies. I put a mixture
of Cab-O-Sil (or Frog's Fanny), silica gel (Dry Shake), and BB shot
into a plastic container (the Dry Shake container). Use it just like
Dry Shake.

Old December 31st, 2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Dec 31, 9:51*am, "Russell D." wrote:
On 12/31/2010 09:32 AM, wrote:

On Dec 30, 6:06 pm, Larry L wrote:
[...]

Help's it mix -- gets the Frog's Fanny into the fly where you want it.
Works way better than the lame brush that comes with the Frog's Fanny.
I learned that trick from Bruiser.

The fly comes out white and dry, coated with the silica. Blow the
excess off or let false casts do the job.

Old December 31st, 2010, 07:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Dec 31, 8:32*am, " wrote:
(They were amused that it's
used for fly fishing.) I use a LOT of it to dry flies. I put a mixture
of Cab-O-Sil (or Frog's Fanny), silica gel (Dry Shake), and BB shot
into a plastic container (the Dry Shake container). Use it just like
Dry Shake.

I use the same stuff, I'm sure and have seen the amused comments on
their website

I, too, use a combo of FFsub, silica gel, and BBs for larger flies

I use a FF bottle and brush for smaller ones

I go through a lot of the stuff

Russell,
the BB's pound the powders into the fly more ... is the theory

Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jan 3, 8:57*am, "Russell D." wrote:
On 01/01/2011 08:29 PM, wrote:

On Jan 1, 8:23 pm, "Russell D." wrote:
On 12/31/2010 10:41 AM, wrote:

Why the BB shot?

Help's it mix -- gets the Frog's Fanny into the fly where you want it..
Works way better than the lame brush that comes with the Frog's Fanny..
I learned that trick from Bruiser.

The fly comes out white and dry, coated with the silica. Blow the
excess off or let false casts do the job.

Makes sense. What ratio of BBs to fanny/silica do you use?

By weight or by volume? :-)

I guess I was wondering how many BBs you can put in the container
without beating you fly to a pulp.

I'll experiment. I like the concept. Hadn't heard of it before this thread.

I just throw a few BBs in and don't worry about it.