OT Two short essays

Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:02 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Default OT Two short essays

THE MAKING OF A CANDIDATE
The Op-Ed page asked the two leading Democratic candidates, Senators John
Edwards and John Kerry, to write about an event or realization early in
their lives that helped shape their character.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/opinion/01EDWA.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/opinion/01KERR.html

Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:28 AM
B J Conner

Edwards got $800,000 of the settlement. The start of a career as a
vulture. I'll write in Alferd E Neuman before a professional leach.
om...

Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM
Jeff Miller

....and you know this how?

please tell us what you do/did for a living?

jeff

Old March 2nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Scott Seidman

Jeff Miller wrote in

B J Conner wrote:
Edwards got $800,000 of the settlement. The start of a career as a
vulture. I'll write in Alferd E Neuman before a professional leach.
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in
message om...

THE MAKING OF A CANDIDATE
The Op-Ed page asked the two leading Democratic candidates, Senators
John Edwards and John Kerry, to write about an event or realization
early in their lives that helped shape their character.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/opinion/01EDWA.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/opinion/01KERR.html

That's how contingencies work. Thirty percent is pretty standard.

FWIW, I though Edwards changed career paths to represent the doctors.

Scott
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
B J Conner

Ij your a lawyer how is it you don't know? Check you old fan magazines.
My windfalls depend on work and good luck, not someone elses bad luck.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM
slenon

BJ Conner:
Edwards got $800,000 of the settlement.

Assuming that Edwards received a portion of his client's settlement, how
much would his client have received without an attorney willing to take the
case on a contingency basis?

In a world where all corporations have access to attorney representation the
contingency arrangement is a necessary means of securing legal
representation for the common man.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Dark Star

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
vincent p. norris

To be sure, all of the attorneys with whom I am personally familiar drive
nicer cars than mine and live in better houses......

I know a couple of lawyers, members of TU, who have spent many hours
over the years ABSOLUTELY FREE to protect the environment around here.

They not only lost the money they could have made doing other work,
but they alienated much of the business community and thus damaged
their future prospects.

They do live in nicer houses than mine, but I don't begrudge them one
bit. They've earned my highest respect.

vince
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:28 PM
Ken Fortenberry

B J Conner wrote:

Edwards got $800,000 of the settlement. The start of a career as a
vulture. I'll write in Alferd E Neuman before a professional leach.

It does beggar the imagination, doesn't it, how some of these lawyers
can look themselves in the mirror. I'm reminded of a sexual discrimination
lawsuit against the city of Peoria a few years back. Twelve female civil
servants were routinely denied raises and promotions while less qualified
and younger males rotated through the ranks. The suit was in court for
two years when the city of Peoria offered a $12 million settlement. The
female lawyer who took the case recommended that her clients accept the
offer but got all huffy when one of the clients complained that the lawyer
was gonna charge $10 million and leave the 12 civil servants to divide
the remaining $2 million. The lady lawyer said that the $10 million was
actually LESS than her usual fee but she was satisfied to settle for so
little because she so strongly believed in the cause.

First thing we do ...

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:14 PM
rb608

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
It does beggar the imagination, doesn't it, how some of these lawyers
can look themselves in the mirror.

To be sure, all of the attorneys with whom I am personally familiar drive
nicer cars than mine and live in better houses, but not all of the "big"
settlements ballyhooed in the media are truly windfalls for the attorney.
These things do take substantial preparation time and incur sometimes
substantial out of pocket expenses for the lawyer and his firm. I don't
doubt that on a per hour basis they're doing okay, but I think the
perception is too often that a million bucks goes right into the pocket of a
greedy lawyer. 'Tain't necessarily so. With the possible exception of the
ones spending all their time posting here, those guys actually work hard for
a living. For a good narrartive of how badly things can sometimes go, I
highly recommend "A Civil Action" by Jonathan Harr.

Joe F.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:28 PM
Ken Fortenberry

rb608 wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:

It does beggar the imagination, doesn't it, how some of these lawyers
can look themselves in the mirror.

To be sure, all of the attorneys with whom I am personally familiar drive
nicer cars than mine and live in better houses, but not all of the "big"
settlements ballyhooed in the media are truly windfalls for the attorney.
These things do take substantial preparation time and incur sometimes
substantial out of pocket expenses for the lawyer and his firm. ...

The lady lawyer in the case I mentioned ended up being hauled before the
Illinois Bar (I assume) because of the bad publicity. Basically the Bar
told the 12 clients that they were fortunate the lady lawyer's firm agreed
to leave them $2 million instead of taking the whole $12 million and then
sending them a bill. Apparently hiring a law firm for two years is worth
every bit of $10 million and then some.

I would not have the balls to explain to 12 clerks, typists and secretaries
who have been the victims of sexual discrimination for years why I should
get the lion's share of their settlement money. That's why you go to law
school I suppose.

--
Ken Fortenberry