TR: Breaking In a New Rod (long)

Old June 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Todd Enders

Default TR: Breaking In a New Rod (long)

After finishing my first bamboo rod a couple months ago,
all that remained was to properly try it on some fish.
Unfortunately, the weather gods have been somewhat
uncooperative over that time, and fishing in general hasn't
exactly been hot around here.

Anyhow, last Thursday was the first decent day in at least
three weeks -- not pouring rain, not cold, not windy. Sunshine
and light breeze, plus it being quiet at work was giving me the
itch to head to a little trout lake about a half hour's drive away
and see if I could tempt the denziens of the deep to come forth
and flex some finely planed, glued, and varnished bamboo. :-)

So, cut out for the lake after lunch. It was a fair bit
windier there when I arrived, but not so much so that I was
willing to leave #1 in the car and break out the heavy artillery.
:-) Strung up #1, and tied on a damsel nymph. Worked my way
down the west side. Didn't take long before the wind was up
enough that I was getting blown into the fly-eating trees behind
on some backcasts, but I managed to retrieve my fly OK with some
branch bending. Not much happening. Birds are working over the
water, and I see midges coming off in quiet, sheltered areas.
Also a good number of adult damsels buzzing around. Suppose
the wind was maybe 15 mph., or a tad more.

Wasn't there too long before a G&F vehicle shows up.
First time I've seen them out there. Chatted with the warden
a bit, and found out they stocked about six weeks ago. Hmmm...
I would have thought I'd have run into some of those stocker
rainbows last time I was out, as they're usually pretty stupid
the first few weeks after they're dumped in. :-) Anyhow, the
warden was out to throw some grass seed on bare spots up
where they did the renovation work last year. He was soon
done and on his way.

Back to peace and quiet. :-) Kept working down the
shoreline, and finally got a hit -- and a good one at that. :-)
Strangely, after a couple shakes, the fish breaks off. Sure,
I only had 5x tippet on, but it's unusual indeed on this lake
to hook into anything that'll break you off that quick. I
figure the end of the tippet had got beat up getting snarled
and extricated from the trees.

Since I wasn't exactly having fast and furious action on
the damsel, I switched to a #6 bead head sparkle leech. Big,
gaudy thing. Since the damsel got hit just ticking the weed
tops, I figured something that got deep quicker was in order.
Too much fly for the rod and conditions though, and I couldn't
cast it worth a hoot. Kept on flogging for a while, trying to
make it work, but never did get the fly to go where I wanted.

Finally figured I needed to switch fly, tactic and venue,
so, remembering the midges coming off, I went and rigged up
with a midge pupa pattern called a "Chromie" (hot fly on the
lakes up in BC these days, I hear) and an indicator. Set the
depth at about 3'. This rig cast *much* better, and I tried
the west shoreline again for a bit before moving down to a
little bay that's been good to me in the past.

Was a little deep at 3', at least where I had been, as
the fly would occasionally get hung in the weeds, and the
wind-induced current would pull the indicator under. Raised
it about 6", and figured I was good. So, I got to my spot
at the little bay and made a cast.

Intently watched the indicator, and it wasn't too long
before something swirled on it. The indicator danced a
bit, and I flipped the rod tip for good measure, but nothing
there. Re-cast, and let the rig drift in the wind. This is
a good method on stillwaters where you have a ripple on
the water, as the indicator imparts some action to the fly,
and with the right setup, it mimics the movement of the
naturals nicely. Sure, it's glorified bobber fishing, but it
works a treat. :-)

Anyhow, I'm watching the indicator drift, and suddenly
it *slowly* and *smoothly* gets drawn under. I'm thinking
I got up a bit shallow again, and snagged some weeds.
Flicked the rod tip, and the line comes up solid. Oh jeez,
I know there's a branch or two in this spot (have snagged
them on occasion), so I put more tension on the line. It's
not moving. Crap. Maybe I can still put a bit more oomph
on it and not bust anything...

Hmmm... it gave way a bit, but I'm *definitely* wrapped
around something. Hopefully I can pull it in and get my fly
back, at least. I slacked off pressure just a *bit*, and I feel
"shake, shake, shake..."...

Whoa! Something down there doesn't like this! :-) I'll
bet I know what's going to happen next... Sure enough,
whatever has my fly bolts. Feels like I'm hooked to the
bumper of a truck departing at speed! #1 gets bent sharply,
and I'm trying to maintain enough pressurel to keep whatever
it is from reaching the cattails on the far bank. If it gets in *there*,
I'm done.

I play tug o' war with whatever it is for a good while
(feels like 5 min. at least) before it decides to come up
out of the hole enough that I can see sides flash. Lordy,
it *is* a good one! Not sure *what* it is yet. I feel a *bit*
outgunned, though -- 7' 4 wt. bamboo with 5x and something a
fair bit larger than the average trout or small bass on the
other end... :-)

Seemed like forever, but probably only a couple minutes
more, and the fish finally comes up to the top. Oh my, it's
a *brownie*, and looks to be 19-20" or so, built like a salmon.
:-) He's not happy to be on top, either. Finally he seems
like he's giving in, although still a bit green. I *don't*
like to fight fish to exhaustion, so I got him to my feet,
grabbed the leader and reached down to tail him. Really
needed a cloth to give me better grab. Tail near thick as
my wrist. Soon as he feels my hand close on him, he gives a
flip, and busts me off, although *still* at my feet. Tried
to scoop him, but as soon as I got my hand under him, he
wheeled and zipped for the depths. :-/

Ah well, I figure if I touch them, they're caught for all
intents and purposes. If I'd had a net, there'd been no question
of him. Would have liked to at least laid the rod next to him and
gauge his length. But still, what a first fish! :-)

Could have left then and been more than amped about
the whole deal, but I had time yet, and since I'd not had a
decent outing there this season, I was bound and determined
to fish until I needed to leave.

Re-rigged with another Chromie and got back to working
the water. My attention started to wander after a while, and I
knew I was soon going to be ready to either change flies or go
home. Checked the time, and figured another 10-15 minutes
and I'd be outta there.

Re-cast the rig at that point, and watched the indicator.
Within a minute, I see it wiggle slightly, and repeat the slow
disappearing act. Flipped the rod tip and near got the line
jerked out of my hand! :-) Don't tell me I hooked up with
*another* big brown...

But, that's *just* what it was! :-) It'd been 19 months,
give or take, between the first big (20.5") brown I landed
out there and the one I'd just brought to my feet. Now,
~20 minutes later, I've got *another* one? You've gotta
be kidding me!

He didn't *quite* have as much fight as the previous
one, but he gave me quite a ride nonetheless. :-) I now
knew I could "give him the butt" pretty safely, and had
a feel for how much pressure I could safely put on the
rod without *too* much danger of snapping it. I *dearly*
wanted to land this one, and wore him down a bit more.
He was on his side when I finally brought him to my
feet. He didn't protest *too* much as I took him from
the water. I lipped him, actually, which was not exactly
the *best* idea I ever had, but I could get a solid grip
at least. Man, there's *teeth* in there, but I should be
OK, as long as he doesn't shake on me... :-)

You *know* he did, don't you? :-) Not *quite* as
bad as having your hand in a pike's mouth, but pretty
close. My right thumb is boogered up a bit -- cut at the
base of the nail, and punctured in several places on
the pad, but it was worth it! :-) Swear to God he was
a twin of the first one, and I more than half expected to
find my other fly still in his mouth, but it wasn't the case.
He had some healed over line cuts around his snout, so
he's been around the block a time or two. Looked like
a bird peck scar on his head as well, but he was otherwise
bright and healthy.

Laid him up on the grass, took my rod and laid it
alongside. Matched the end of his tail to the bottom of
the cap, and put a finger where the end of his nose came.
Took the hook and scratched a witness mark, then got
the fish back in the water and revived him. He swam off,
surely wiser, but otherwise none the worse for wear. :-)
Figured I'd done *more* than enough good for one day, so
I reeled up and headed back to the car.

Had a Sharpie in the glovebox, and inked in the
witness mark. 'Twas special enough to warrant that.
Pity I didn't have a camera with me though, as I'd have
*loved* to have had a picture of him alongside the rod.
Ah well, maybe when I catch that 30" brown I saw out
there last year... (assuming he's still there... :-)

*Too* sweet, but gives one pause as to how it'll be
topped. :-) Not that it *needs* to, mind you. Certainly
an auspicious start for my first rod. :-)

Went back Saturday, for grins and giggles, to find the
normally quiet lake crawling with "anglers", some of whom
were actually *fishing* :-/ Dragged my brother along, and
he was about as bemused as I was at the number of people
out there.

Bit windy again, and I ended up with a most Gordian
wind knot that resisted my best efforts to pick it out,
and I had to cut the worst of it out and re-rig, after a
good half hour picking at it.

Nobody over in the little bay, so I took my station,
and brother proceeded around the point to the south, out
of sight. Wanted to get away from the boisterous high
schoolers up along the dam face (or at least out of ear
shot of them. :-).

Time passed, and nothing much happening. Nobody
catching anything that I can see. See a decent bass
cruise by. Now about a dozen folks vying for spots on
a 5 acre lake, including a pair in a boat. The whole
scenario is one of gathering frustration, and I'm about
ready to call it an afternoon, when the indicator does
the slow, smooth, sink out of sight thing again... :-)

I *know* that take, but am not quite willing to
believe it. Maybe the bass I saw earlier... Gotta be!
Set the hook, and am lashed to another truck. This is
*insane*! :-) Work the fish to the top, and I'll be
damned, it's yet another big brown! :-)

Yell for brother to assist in the landing (he's got
the net). No answer. Scream louder... Nothing. Fish
is at my feet (literally touching the toe of my boot).
Oh hell, my thumb is already beat up, so what have I got
to lose -- I reach down to lip him...

He's still kinda green (like the first one Thurs.),
and indeed, I get rather the same result. He tosses his
head, the hook slips, and he sits there at my feet.
Make a grab, miss, and the fish rockets for the depths.
I'm non-plussed, and do a slow count to ten, lest I
snap the rod over my knee... :-)

Sit on the bank and look down into the water. Smile
at the craziness of it all. :-) Yeah, I didn't pull the
fish from the water, but so what? Was going to release
him anyhow. He just made it easier. :-) On the other
hand, my little bamboo rod was now 3-3 on big browns.
Maybe it's got the big fish mojo... :-)

Fished for a while after, but no further action. I
was satisfied, though, and even the bozos up at the dam
(who had now left) couldn't get me down. :-) Brother
came wandering back to where I was, half an hour later,
and I related the tale of woe. He said he'd been trying
to tune the racket up at the dam out, and didn't hear me.
I could see that. We'd both had enough, and adjourned to
his vehicle for a cold brew out of the cooler before we
headed out. All in all, not a bad day... :-)

Todd (remove hook to reply)
Old June 9th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Stephen Welsh

Todd Enders wrote in
:

Yeah, I didn't pull the
fish from the water, but so what? Was going to release
him anyhow. He just made it easier. :-)

Well done on the fish/rod Todd. Been reading a bit about
pupa under indicators in lakes lately, nice to know it works!!

:-)

Steve

http://www.catchandreleasefound.org/release.html

Old June 9th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Todd Enders

In . 4 Stephen Welsh
wrote:
Well done on the fish/rod Todd. Been reading a bit about
pupa under indicators in lakes lately, nice to know it works!!

I actually had thought to try it before I'd read about
it, and thought I'd stumbled onto something... :-) It does
work quite nicely, and, if you do a slow strip (provided
the pupa isn't weighted too much) the pupa will rise like
it was on the way to the surface to hatch. This works
well also, and might induce the reluctant fish to make a
grab for it. :-)

Todd (remove hook to reply)
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:15 PM
riverman

Default Breaking In a New Rod (long)

"Todd Enders" wrote in message
After finishing my first bamboo rod a couple months ago,
all that remained was to properly try it on some fish.
Unfortunately, the weather gods have been somewhat
uncooperative over that time, and fishing in general hasn't
exactly been hot around here.

(snip)

What a GREAT tale, Todd! I was glued to every word, and jealous as hell!

--riverman

Old June 10th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Todd Enders

In riverman wrote:

"Todd Enders" wrote in message
After finishing my first bamboo rod a couple months ago,
all that remained was to properly try it on some fish.
Unfortunately, the weather gods have been somewhat
uncooperative over that time, and fishing in general hasn't
exactly been hot around here.

(snip)

What a GREAT tale, Todd! I was glued to every word, and jealous as
hell!

Thanks! :-) Certainly a trip not soon forgotten, and
indeed, every time I pick up the rod and see the witness
mark, I'll be reminded... :-)

For those curious about the rod, I have a fairly large
(~450K) picture he

http://buran.cc.misu.nodak.edu/first_rod/rod1.jpg

Todd (remove hook to reply)