second 2005 fishing trip

Old January 8th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Default second 2005 fishing trip

Had to go to Google - the only reason I keep AOL is for newsgroups and
it seems screwy lately. Not seeing all messages, I think, and now can't
access them at all.

Anyway ----

Kinda wish I had not gone back to Jackson yesterday (Friday) for one
more practice for my tournament.
Started out pretty good, got there and had the boat in the water at 9.
Cloudy with absolutely no
wind - water was dead calm, looked like a mirror. Temps had gone up a
degree or so to 53
where it had been 52 on Wednesday. Air temps were in 60s already.

I fished the point where I had lost the big fish on Wednesday - not a
bite. Heading up the lake I
planned on fishing a main lake rocky point but slowed down to check out
a long shallow point
before getting to it. Didn't see much on my depthfinder on the
point, but the logs and trees
washed into the bank between where I was and the rocky point I planned
on fishing looked good.

There was a log way off the bank in about six feet of water. I was
sitting in about 9 feet and cast
my Fat Free Shad across the log. When it got near the log a bass
thumped it and I set the hook .
The fish was strong and reminded me of the big one I had lost on
Wednesday the way it stayed
down and shook its head. When I got it to the boat it was a good 4
pound largemouth. That
fired me up.

I fished on up that bank and hit the rocky point without a bite. I
kept hitting other similar
structure - main lake cover near deep water - without getting another
bite.

After lunch I got on a long bank and decided to hit everything on it.
It is a steep rocky bank with
lots of little points, blowdowns and logs. I fished it for over 200
yards without a bite. At the end
of the bank, near a point, I got a hit on a Fat Free Fry and thought I
had finally hooked a spot the
bass fought so hard. I had seen it flash in the water so I knew it was
not real big.

That bass weighed right at 2 pounds and was a largemouth and it was my
last bite of the day.
Although I would probably be happy with two like that tomorrow, I am
worried about getting
only two bites in that amount of time and the number of casts I made.

I have my rods ready - six different crankbaits tied on, a couple of
jig and pigs, two spinnerbaits,
and two Carolina rigs. I guess I will just fish as many places as I
can with as many baits as I can
throw in 8 hours and see what happens.

I can not figure out what happened to the spots. I never hooked one in
two days - usually they
make up over half the bites at Jackson. Tomorrow the weather is
supposed to change - cooler
tonight, down to 44, then sunny and few clouds and nigh of 70 tomorrow.
Sounds good but the
fog will probably be thick in the morning - light winds are predicted.
Wish we would have some
wind - bass seem to like windy points this time of year.

I was pleased with gas prices. On the way to the lake I stopped and
filled up boat and truck -
unleaded at $1.559. That is a 40 cents per gallon drop since November
first. Not sure who to
blame for this.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old January 9th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Your day of fishing sure beat my day. I've been working in the office,
trying to clean and organize it well enough to do a little bit of filming.
It's not a fun task, although I did pick up a few items to decorate with,
and it's going to rock when I'm done.

That sure is odd about the spots. In my limited southern bass fishing, if
there's spots in the lake, they'll bite before anything else.

Good luck in the tourney.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com