Smart Cast

Old December 27th, 2003, 05:12 AM
M Gazer

Default Smart Cast

Anyone have input on the Smart Cast fish finder?
The one that has you cast the transducer to a likely spot then view the
results on a wrist watch type display?
TIA

Old December 27th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Bob La Londe

"M Gazer" wrote in message
Anyone have input on the Smart Cast fish finder?
The one that has you cast the transducer to a likely spot then view the
results on a wrist watch type display?
TIA

I just got one from my dad for Christmas. I'll let you know if I use it
much and how it works out.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

www.DiyComponents.com
Buy professional quality components for
DIY Projects

Old December 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM
SHRED©

Bob La Londe wrote:
"M Gazer" wrote in message
Anyone have input on the Smart Cast fish finder?
The one that has you cast the transducer to a likely spot then view
the results on a wrist watch type display?
TIA

I just got one from my dad for Christmas. I'll let you know if I use
it much and how it works out.

Yeah Bob please give us a review.
I am considering getting one for my Sevylor raft.

Thanks

Old December 27th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Bob La Londe

"SHRED©" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"M Gazer" wrote in message
Anyone have input on the Smart Cast fish finder?
The one that has you cast the transducer to a likely spot then view
the results on a wrist watch type display?
TIA

I just got one from my dad for Christmas. I'll let you know if I use
it much and how it works out.

Yeah Bob please give us a review.
I am considering getting one for my Sevylor raft.

Thanks

So far:
The wrist receiver uses a fairly common battery. A CR2450. It claims 25-30
hours operation and less in cold weather. I happen to use them for one of
the alarm systems I maintain, so I have them in stock in my office. I have
also bought them at Radio Shack and Walgreens in a pinch. After reading the
instructions I have not seen how the transmitter battery can be replaced so
I am assuming that it has a finite life. It may use one of the ten year
batteries like ITI uses in their alarm transmitters.

I do a fair amount of canal bank fishing so I'll probably give it its first
workout on areas where I am pretty familiar with the bottom.

Old December 28th, 2003, 07:13 AM
go-bassn

I just want to know how far it flies when you forget to hit the freespool
button or open your bail on a cast.

Where would you cast it where you couldn't just put the boat over? I have a
hard time seeing a need for the thing, but hope you find some.

Warren
--
http://www.fishingworld.com/MesaTackleSupply/
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com http://www.secretweaponlures.com

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news

Old December 28th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Thundercat

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:13:56 -0500, "go-bassn"
wrote:

I just want to know how far it flies when you forget to hit the freespool
button or open your bail on a cast.

Where would you cast it where you couldn't just put the boat over? I have a
hard time seeing a need for the thing, but hope you find some.

Warren

Some folks still walk the bank when fishin' and / or fishing smaller
ponds and things where the is no boat access.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Old December 28th, 2003, 04:05 PM
JB

Probably would cast it from a boat into a likely looking spot as a
weedbed,hole etc instead of driving the boat over and then find nothing or
scare fish from a shallow spot.

Old December 28th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Smart Cast - LONG

"go-bassn" wrote in message
I just want to know how far it flies when you forget to hit the freespool
button or open your bail on a cast.

Where would you cast it where you couldn't just put the boat over? I have

hard time seeing a need for the thing, but hope you find some.

Warren
--

Well, I have not used it yet, but I bet it might have some use in bank
fishing applications. I personally like to go hit the local main canals

Floating it down the canal as I walk along should tell me a lot about the
areas I have fished. For instance. It would be nice to know about one
section where I have tied into bigger fish twice. There is no discernable
bank feature and as a canal the variations in the bottom should be minimal.
In fact I would never have stoped the truck and fished that particular area
if I hadn't noticed some topwater action there on a couple occassions.

I can imagine also using it to reconnoiter a couple places from my boat that
I really would rather not run blindly over. There is a backwater lake that
has a shallow sandy entrance. If I am fun fishing I can get out and walk
the area to determine if there is a good way to get in, and I can even pull
my boat over some of the worst spots. In a tournament that is against the
rules. All but one of the series I fish say you can get out of the boat to
pull it off a sandbar or other obstruction, but not to better your position.
With the smartcast I could blanket the area and find the deeper channels and
then pole in.

I have also had the desire to check out some shallow rock piles, but on a
windy day that can be very dangerous. With a smartcast I can check the area
and see if there is a safer approach. Better yet, I can see if there is a
deep side or a shallow channel or an other change to the structure that
would make it worth investigating more thoroughly than a few exploratory
casts from a distance.

I'll be honest. I don't see it as a serious tournament tool, but there are
a few circumstances where I might make use of it.

I have another use I intend to put it too. I fish ABA www.americanbass.com
out of my partner's boat, and I fish as a non-boater in Yuma Bassmasters
www.yumabassmasters.4t.com. There are times when it would be nice to take
a quick check of a different line than my boater is taking. For instance we
are working a weed line up on a mud shelf from a distance further out than I
normally would. It would be nice to make a few casts and see if there is a
sharp drop or other bottom cover or structure that I could focus my efforts
on without disturbing fish that we might be able to catch. I also see
myself simply tieing it on and dragging it behind the boat so that I have
depth sounder I can check as easily as the one my boating partner is using
on his trolling motor at the front of the boat.

P.S. Warren, How come you haven't added your website to my link index? All
fishing or boating related sites are welcome. No obligation.