Tiagra 30 or 50

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Rob2

Default Tiagra 30 or 50

I'm planning on chasing some marlin and am trying to choose what 80#
setup to get. I've narrowed it down to a toss-up between the Tiagra
30WLRS or the 50WLRS. I'll be stand-up fishing so am leaning
towards the smaller reel, but I'm wondering if anybody has used one
of these in anger yet - as I understand they're reasonably new on
the market.

From the specs for the 30W, I gather I should be able to load 800yds
of 80lb braid on it with somewhere in the region of a 100yd topshot
of 80lb mono. As the strike drag on the 30WLRS is capable of 12.5kg
(27.5lb) while maintaining freespool, it seems like it should fit
the bill (pun unintended).

Any views?

Old February 17th, 2004, 06:34 PM
John

"Rob2" wrote in message . au...
I'm planning on chasing some marlin and am trying to choose what 80#
setup to get. I've narrowed it down to a toss-up between the Tiagra
30WLRS or the 50WLRS. I'll be stand-up fishing so am leaning
towards the smaller reel, but I'm wondering if anybody has used one
of these in anger yet - as I understand they're reasonably new on
the market.

From the specs for the 30W, I gather I should be able to load 800yds
of 80lb braid on it with somewhere in the region of a 100yd topshot
of 80lb mono. As the strike drag on the 30WLRS is capable of 12.5kg
(27.5lb) while maintaining freespool, it seems like it should fit
the bill (pun unintended).

Any views?

First off, what kind, and how big, are the marlin you plan on chasing?
If their larger fish, go with the larger reel, a good size marlin can
dump a lot of line in a hurry. The larger reels tend to have larger,
or multiple, drag washers. This will help keep the drag from getting
real hot, at which point the drags often fail.

As far as brand, in larger reels, their's only one choice, Penn. The
problem with ALL the other manufacturers is that they only stock parts
for just so many years. After that, your out of luck.

I am friends with a guy that own's a very well known large shop that
does "factory" service on the all the major brands. He admitts that
any brand other than Penn is going to be a problem getting parts for
once the reel is discontinued. And at the price your going to pay for
this kind of reel do you really want to make a paper weight out of it
six or eight years from now? I've got a five gallon bucket full of
older non Penn reels that all need a part (I bought them when I was
younger), that can't be gotten anywhere. I keep them around to remind
me not to make the same mistake again. My old Internationals are
around twenty years old, my old 4/0 my Dad bought 35 years ago, used,
no problem if I need parts, try that with any of the Japaneese brands.

If you need a good larger reel, but can't decide between a 50 or 80,
go with the new Penn 70, great reel. Buy Penn, and you won't be sorry.
Buy one of the other brands, you'll be sorry.
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 17 Feb 2004 09:34:43 -0800, (John) wrote:

"Rob2" wrote in message . au...
I'm planning on chasing some marlin and am trying to choose what 80#
setup to get. I've narrowed it down to a toss-up between the Tiagra
30WLRS or the 50WLRS. I'll be stand-up fishing so am leaning
towards the smaller reel, but I'm wondering if anybody has used one
of these in anger yet - as I understand they're reasonably new on
the market.

From the specs for the 30W, I gather I should be able to load 800yds
[...]

I totally agree with John.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Rob2

"John" wrote in message
om...

First off, what kind, and how big, are the marlin you plan on

chasing?
If their larger fish, go with the larger reel, a good size marlin

can
dump a lot of line in a hurry. The larger reels tend to have

larger,
or multiple, drag washers. This will help keep the drag from

getting
real hot, at which point the drags often fail.

Marlin over 1,000lb are occasionally caught there, but about half
that size is more common apparently. We've fished there a few times
for sailfish, spanish mackeral, etc, but have only raised a marlin
once, which we failed to hook - which was probably just as well, as
we were only using 15kg gear. On our next trip we plan on getting a
bit more serious and getting out wider.
That's a good point about the heat from the drag - hadn't thought of
that. Sounds like a good reason to go for the bigger reel.

As far as brand, in larger reels, their's only one choice, Penn.

The
problem with ALL the other manufacturers is that they only stock
parts for just so many years. After that, your out of luck.

I was leaning towards the Tiagras as I've been a satisfied Shimano
man for many years (TLD15, 25 & 30). Here in Western Australia the
Tiagras are more common than the Internationals and those in the
know that I've spoken to say that parts for them aren't a problem.
I might have a second look at the Penns tho.

Regarding line - if I get the 50W I might go for dacron instead of
braid. I'm still a bit uneasy about the join to the top-shot
however. I've read a few articles which say that a bimini in both
lines with just a loop to loop connection in the middle is the go,
which sounds fine if using mono of a higher test than the braid
(eg - a leader). But if using braid or dacron of the same test as
the mono I would have thought the braided line would cut into the
mono and be a weak point. Likewise the 'braid leader knot' seems to
be suited to joining heavy mono to the braid, but not necessarily
similar test lines. What join do you guys use?

Rob

Old February 18th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Rodney

Rob2 wrote:

Likewise the 'braid leader knot' seems to
be suited to joining heavy mono to the braid, but not necessarily
similar test lines. What join do you guys use?

Rob

I have never fished for Marlin, but when I go after big sharks, I use a
double nail knot between the braid and Mono,, so far it has never failed me

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,

Old February 18th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:36:37 +0800, "Rob2" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

Regarding line - if I get the 50W I might go for dacron instead of
braid. I'm still a bit uneasy about the join to the top-shot
however. I've read a few articles which say that a bimini in both
lines with just a loop to loop connection in the middle is the go,
which sounds fine if using mono of a higher test than the braid
(eg - a leader). But if using braid or dacron of the same test as
the mono I would have thought the braided line would cut into the
mono and be a weak point. Likewise the 'braid leader knot' seems to
be suited to joining heavy mono to the braid, but not necessarily
similar test lines. What join do you guys use?

I've had success with a knot called a Seizing Bend (can't find an
example on the net) and I also use a double nail.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

Old February 21st, 2004, 06:52 AM
Rob2

It's all a bit of a compromise. I suppose the first question I
should be asking is how much line do you need to catch a reasonable
size marlin? As we'll be stand-up fishing, anything more that 80lb
line would be pointless. A 50W reel can fit 550yds of 80lb mono.
Is 550yds enough? We'll be chasing them down with the boat, but as
I assume marlin can swim at least as quick as sailfish and obviously
pull a lot harder, I reckon 550 sounds a bit light on.

I could go 50lb, but not only would I be reducing my chances of
landing one, I'm not happy with the thought of killing one by
fighting it for too long.

That gives two options - use a bigger reel or use a thinner line.
The thought of stand-up fishing with a 3kg+ winch doesn't hold much
appeal, so I'd prefer to limit the reel size to a 50W.

I've had plenty of experience with both braid & dacron, but no
experience with marlin. I use dacron for sharks, macks & tuna, and
when bottom bouncing I use braid (stick a bit of sticking plaster on
my thumb). In both cases I use a bimini double attached to a swivel
with a cats paw). I then just clip on whatever leader is
appropriate for what I'm chasing. The sailfish I've caught have
been on mono though.

I've just bought a 24-37kg stick with roller guides, so shouldn't be
any problem winding a join on. My dilemma is what kind of join in
what kind of line.

Rob

Old February 24th, 2004, 06:25 PM
John

"Rob2" wrote in message .au...
[...]

Rob,

If your looking for Tuna, a 50 is just fine, and if the Marlin are
small, say under 300 pounds, the 50 will do also. But if the marlin
run larger than that, and your not a highly skilled light tackle guy,
with a boat, and a captian, that can really chase a fish, I would go
with the larger reel with the higher line capacity. I've always been
amazed at the runs a marlin can make, and if a big one comes along,
and your on a stand up 50, well, just remenber, ice first, then heat,
he's going to cause you some pain.

I still remember a Blue Marlin five years ago or so that hit a bent
butt 130 that was fought from a full size chair that took such a hard
run that he stood the angler up in the chair, we never stopped him, he
almost stripped that 130 with 200 pound test line and 50 pounds of
drag. He partially straightened a very large hook on that run, that's
how we lost him, we were going in reverse as fast as we could. When it
was over, we were all stunned, from start to finish the fight probably
lasted 2 or 3 minutes. Had that fish hit a 50 it would have been
stripped before we even got it out of the rod holder. When we know
their's big blues around, the 50's get put away. Because you know what
happens when you have all the big stuff out and only one small rod
out. Which rod get's hit?

At least with the larger reel you can increase the drag enought to
slow him down and wear him out. And you can probably get away with
more mistakes you or the captian make. A shorter fight is better for
you, and the fish, if you intend to release him.